Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #46
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Don't do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
I have ridden the BMW and now the Ducati. I have nothing against the BMW, I love that bike. The Duc would be a great street bike but like I said before too many gadgets for meand too street oriented. I looked at the Strom, but not seriously. Just a passing glance however, I did see the price ! I dont mind spening up to 18K for a new bike so the price isnt a big issue. Still looking for a Ymaha and Triumph dealer to do test rides....WTF california!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I will just go to Nevada to get a test ride !!

Don't take the 1200 Explorer for a test ride unless you bring your checkbook with. Just remember you've been warned!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #47
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigeorge View Post
How come you lot in the US find it so hard to get a test ride?

!!!
Most the dealers around me are always trying to get me to test ride their bikes.
Sometimes I do if I feel like it most times I dont.
They must feel comfortable with me on their machine I guess.
I must look like an impulsive buyer with $$ in his pocket to them.
Truth is though, I dont buy that way .I know what i want without testride and dont even ask for one before buying.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #48
hANNAbONE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
Have any of you S10 guys had the vibration problem Roger J was complaining about?

...nope...

??did you order your RADIATION STICKERS yet??
hANNAbONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #49
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Nope
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #50
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
no vibes here. Tenere has been best bike ever for myself!!!!
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #51
gigeorge
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I test rode the ducati on Saturday, with and without my partner.. It took a little while in getting used to the handling as im used to a superduke, but once i'd gotten used to it... What can i say, it felt sublime, the adjustable dampers / map mode was quite effective although i feel id probably leave it in sport even when touring :).

What im struggling to get past is the 6k difference between my superduke and it.. Granted its got fancy suspension and a thwacker of an engine but 6k more... I'm struggling to justify it I really am.. I guess i need to ride an Adventure and a BMW to see how 'different' it actually is..
gigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #52
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Thumb

No vibes here either.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #53
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Well in the last few days I've ridden both the S10 and the Stelvio - and I won't be buying either! Here's why
S10: competant at all things, very long & high; some bits LOOK vunerable - like the radiators & oil filter, but I have faith that the clever engineers & test riders thought about it too. However, the bike is bland with a huge B. It just does everything so well, it's as boring as batshit - it really is a two-wheeled Toyota. I asked the salesman if it came in yellow, because it's like custard - nice, but uninspiring. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I have a latent masochism that requires more "character"; whatever, my ride-on mower has more soul.
Stelvio: Not as big, tall or heavy-feeling, but still a large motorcycle. The luggagee system is ridiculous: to accomodate a fatty exhaust, the left pannier sits way out - and so does the right one, with inches of empty air between box & bike, making the bike 4 inches wider than the already wide bars. I can forgive a Guzzi many things but I didn't need to, as this one had a slick gearbox, mega-good brakes, lots of power across the entire range (you could stay in second, third or fourth only, from stop-lights to freeway) , clear instruments (the S10's are too small and too far away!), but the vibration through the bars was simply unacceptable - maybe tuning, but it's the demonstrator - should represent the bike as good as it can be.
Also, in this country, the Stelvio NTX is only available in flat black primer, no colour, and the same bike that sells for $16k in the US is $25k here.
Frankly, neither bike is better enough than what we have now (wife & I each have an Aprilia Caponord) to consider stumping up the extra money.
YMMV.
Not to get too far off topic, but thanks for this. I have been bouncing back and forth on these two bikes. I know Guzzi's will last forever and the S10 is getting high praise from its owners.
"See You Next Wednesday"
davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #54
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeepS View Post
Two bikes would be in my sights:
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré

Guzzi would be my first choice because it's nearly everything my Buell Ulysses is and is still in production.
The Ténéré is probably a wiser choice (and easier to find a dealer to service it)... But that Stelvio engine just sounds so good...
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #55
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymike View Post
The Ténéré is probably a wiser choice (and easier to find a dealer to service it)... But that Stelvio engine just sounds so good...
What with that nice fat 90 Degree firing order....Oh wait...

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #56
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
No vibe issues on this Tenere. Note that the Tenere takes a couple thousand miles to liven up in my experience. At first I was uninspired by the engine but loved the chassis. Now the engine is loosening up and I am routinely finding myself passing everyone at 90 mph on the highway. Still enjoy the Ducati though. Off road the Tenere feels better than my highly modified DR 650 just keep it moving and the weight disappears.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #57
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymike View Post
True, and since it's a Guzzi or maybe 'cause it's Italian (I really like Guzzis' btw) you better have another bike to ride while you are waiting on parts/repair/service....
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #58
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 607
If you can only own one bike and you like to do all kinds of riding including track days, cross country touring and single track. There is only one bike and it's heart is orange.

The OC is far better than any dealer network.

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is online now   Reply With Quote