ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #106
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sector View Post
I subscribed to this thread, even knowing I can't go. I'm stuck with weekenders for the summer . But, I'm planning on downloading the route (or both routes posted so far). I'm also sticking around for the pics.
I may be near your neck of the woods in the next few weeks.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #107
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I may be near your neck of the woods in the next few weeks.
Cool! PM or text me when you get nearby.

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #108
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector View Post
Cool! PM or text me when you get nearby.
I'll be in Enterprise next week... from there I have no firm plans yet... Maybe I'll bring my passport
Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #109
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I'll be in Enterprise next week... from there I have no firm plans yet... Maybe I'll bring my passport

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #110
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,266
My tally is that we have 7 riders who have indicated that they are "in" for this ride. I know of a couple others who will also be riding with us.

If you think you'll be coming along and haven't weighed in on this thread, could you do so. While it really doesn't matter how many are coming along, it's still good to know for planning purposes.

Also, if anyone is able to do any pre-ride scouting, that would be helpful. Please post your observations.

I'm really looking forward to this ride.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #111
Danodemotoman
Danodemotoman

Oddometer: 249
Tim,

Count me in.
I spoke up months ago but since lurking about.
Have ridden Magruder and Elk City wagon Rd a few years ago tho the Lolo Trail was snowed in still.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #112
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I'm so ready, really need to get away for a while. I just hope the snow has melted and the roads are clear by then. This year is almost more messed up than last year, at least in my area.

IIRC, the plan is to meet up Sunday morning in Elk City...I need to go back through the thread and verify that. I think I'm going to stay at Red River Hot Springs Sat night, it's just a few miles from town, towards the start of the Magruder Corridor. Anyone else interested? http://www.redriverhotspringsidaho.com/
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #113
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 920
Not so bad on this side this year. Going-to-the-Sun is planning on opening this weekend (or as the wx dictates). Skalkaho has been open for quite a while (but suffering from construction delays). Time to start exploring some routes in the field (virtual map world is highly over-rated).

Got lots of rallys listed on the calendar,but will probably just solo for the most part with a big exception for the Proposed MT trip. It's locked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I'm so ready, really need to get away for a while. I just hope the snow has melted and the roads are clear by then. This year is almost more messed up than last year, at least in my area.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #114
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Here's a link to a file in Google Docs for my version 1 of the ride.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwt...DJMNVNSMUk5amc

I've made the GPX file editable, but please just download and edit it as you wish. If you would then send me a copy of your GPX file, I'll upload the latest versions.

Here's a summary:
Day 1 - Elk City, ID to Darby, MT - 125 miles - Probably camping somewhere on the NEZ Perce Trail. TBD.
Day 2 - Darby, MT to Clark, MT Reservoir - 126 miles - Includes a recommended side trip to Bannack Ghost town - some pavement
Day 3 - Clark Reservoir, MT to Gravelly Range Primitive Camping Site (very nice site) - 124 miles - Lots of gravel & scenery
Day 4 - Gravelly Range Camping to Ruby Dam Camping - 97 miles - Lots of time to enjoy the Gravelly Range Road - several additional riding options both up in the Gravelly Range and south of Ruby Dam.
Day 5 - Ruby Dam to US93 south of LOLO - 214 Miles - Unfortunately this is pavement day in order to transition us back to the Lolo Motorway
Day 6 - Lolo, MT to Pierce, ID - 171 miles - Lots of great riding on the LOLO Motorway. We may have to split this into an additional day.

I trust this route will work for those who have expressed interest in doing the ride. Thanks for your patience in waiting for the proposed route.

The start date is Sunday 7/22 at 8am from the cafe/gas station in Elk City Idaho. I'll be arriving the day before and probably camping somewhere nearby. There is a hotel in Elk City if one is inclined that direction. As the date gets closer I'll be confirming with the forest service offices that the route is open. Any inmates who want to pre-ride all or part of it are certainly encouraged to do so. The Gravelly Range section is the highest at over 8k feet, and if it's still closed, there is a work-around that goes up to Ruby Dam west of the planned route.
I have been planning on camping at Poet creek camp ground on the Magruder road, getting there on Friday, July 21st and riding over to the Selway and back on the 22nd.
From experience I know that four days/ 600 miles is about my limit on dirt so I won't be joining this ride.

It looks like you will be coming within yards of my camper in Pierce on the 27th or 28th and I will be there at that time . Down hill fom the Timber Inn, across the bridge and I am 30 yards to the right , old white camper under a green snow roof, red fence, green shed. Lots of yard.

If anyone still feels like camping by then you will be welcome to use my yard and I have a couple of extra beds in the camper. Hot shower/microwave/ tv at my camper. Probably spaghetti for dinner. The bars and restuarants are 2 blocks away.
In down town Pierce: 3 bars/gas/motels/grocery store/ Verizon cell service in the Vug restuarant, also the best place to eat currently.

If you break down on the Lolo motorway my Pierce neighbor will usually be available to haul in bikes to Pierce for the cost of fuel.
If the end date is other than a Friday, Saturday , Sunday I probably won't be there , though the grass is always available.
PM me if there is any interest
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #115
williamsonfour
cycle junkie

Oddometer: 36
Timmer - I won't be able to start with you in Elk City, but would like to hook up with the group somewhere Monday or Tuesday, and ride a few days. I live in Bozeman, so I may join up for a few days and hop off the trip when we're somewhat close to home.

Wish I could do the Magruder and Lolo Motorway portions of the trip - I'll have to find a way to do those some other time.....

I may need to figure out how to use the .gpx files - either with a browser or GPS (have two different Garmins - handheld and a car nuvi).....haven't tried them yet. Anyone know of a thread regarding .gpx file basics? Googling now........
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #116
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsonfour View Post
Timmer - I won't be able to start with you in Elk City, but would like to hook up with the group somewhere Monday or Tuesday, and ride a few days. I live in Bozeman, so I may join up for a few days and hop off the trip when we're somewhat close to home.

Wish I could do the Magruder and Lolo Motorway portions of the trip - I'll have to find a way to do those some other time.....

I may need to figure out how to use the .gpx files - either with a browser or GPS (have two different Garmins - handheld and a car nuvi).....haven't tried them yet. Anyone know of a thread regarding .gpx file basics? Googling now........
Thanks for your interest in the ride. It's really looking to be a nice one.

Hooking up will be a bit of a challenge as most of the time we'll be out of cell phone range and I can only "project" where we might be each day. But you are certainly encouraged to try.

As far as working with GPX files, if you would post what model GPS' you are using perhaps one of us can help. Do you use Mapsource, Basecamp, or some other program to get routes to your GPS?

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #117
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 920
Double on what Timmer said. A lot depends on your make/model of GPS. I use a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx which has all the features needed for this type of work, but it is small and hard to read when riding. Mapsource and Basecamp are Garmin software programs which are free and you can download. If you are a Google
Earth user, you can open GPX files from within Google Earth.

I am finding the use of GPS and mapping software indispensible for the back road riding like we love in this country.

I just finished loading all the ride GPX files for the Boise KLR Rally this weekend. Hope they provide some more when I get to Boise tommorow.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #118
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 669
Bluhduh Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
My tally is that we have 7 riders who have indicated that they are "in" for this ride. I know of a couple others who will also be riding with us.
Family reunion/vacation combo. Not that I don't want to spend time with the family but...

Safe travels. Look forward to the ride report(s)!

- Dorian

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #119
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

As of 3 days ago Lolo motorway and Magruder are both still closed due to snow and trees.
I rode as much of Lolo as I could. I was the first to make it through on the 109 and down Parachute grade. I also was the first to make it through Elk Meadows through Montana and out the 465 I think it was... good times and the Camas flowers were in bloom at Packer Meadows.
There is a cornus with a 33 foot drift over it on Magruder on the East side and you can only get about 10 miles in from the Elk City side so far.

I did ride around the gate on the furthers east section of Lolo Motorway... very cool. I rode around trees, over trees and under trees until there were too many arge trees down to get around.

Here is a little 8 inch log I jumped both ways... down hill was a bit exciting as it was off camber and you had to line up headed for the cliff. Fun with the trailer but it handeled it fine.

Thias section is very overgrown... fun!

Watch the washout on the 109...

Got around this one...

Too many to continue...

the gate...

Fun stuff...

Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 10:00 AM
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #120
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mr. Fisherman,

Thanks for the intel. We're a month away from our proposed start. Hopefully the route will get better.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100