User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #196
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,763
Got the other side done -

MUCH better control (at least test riding it in the street in front of my house). Next weekend is the acid test.

More to come!

brewtus screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 05:26 PM Reason: I fear tests....
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #197
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
I like that old style exhaust. Simple light weight. I can see why you kept the air box heat shield!
So did you ride the 4rt today?
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #198
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

I figured your eye would be sharp enough to see the partially missing exhaust. There may be more to come with that also.

And yes, I rode my Montesa today. First time I've ridden in since the December event.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #199
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

The fun continues.

I got around to installing a #40 pilot jet and the Honda upgrade jet needle/air mixture screw kit that I had lying around for years. It's the same upgrade that Taxonomy posted in his Reflex jetting fix thread. I bought a #100 main for it, since the smallest jet I had that would fit was a #130. A bit big.

I had installed the pilot jet before heading off to Sipapu last weekend for our June event. The off-idle response was noticeably more crisp. Earlier this week I had replaced the air mixture screw. Even more crisp. Today I dragged out the needle kit -

Old needle on the right, new on the left. After installing it, I replaced the main jet with the #100 I bought. I was more than a little surprised to find a #82 main in the carb. OE jetting was a #92. No wonder this thing was so weak. After the carb work, I removed the airbox restrictor -

Bolted the tank back on and went for a little testride. WOW what a difference! MUCH better off-idle power, and the sound from the air rushing into the unrestricted airbox when I open the throttle sounds really cool. Ran it 'till it was good-n-boiling hot (not too hard to do on a 95-degree day) and 'ol OJ never even hiccuped.

I did notice a bit of a concern while I had the tank off. Looks like the frame tubes welded to the upper spar coming up from the engine cradle/swingarm mount are developing cracks -

I'll break out the welder next weekend and remedy that situation. The good news is that the footpeg mounts held up nicely to what turned out to be a brutal weekend for the ol' bike. OJ got beat up pretty well by the log crossings and "V" rock gates that not only scraped up the new footpeg mounts, but also stopped the bike solid on one particular obstacle. That, and a SPECTACULAR backflip (OJ spun over 2-1/2 times!) on a hillclimb section (WAY too much throttle in second gear, never saw the bump hidden in the grass that sent the front end skyward) that resulted in....this -

Yup, broke the front fender. It was possibly the very last "in the package" brand-new fender in North America.

Even with all the carnage (and exceptionally poor riding on my part), OJ still managed to win both days and get the Overall -

All the Overall competitors got a nifty Sipapu ski area sweatshirt and button. I got the button and a half-pound of homemade fudge courtesy of the ski lodge. I enjoy the fudge a lot more than I would the sweatshirt, and I have to admit I really like the chintzy button.

All that being said, don't read too much into the win. I was the lone competitor in Twinshock, with Lineaway's Montesa having crunched a crank bearing the day before the event, and the rest of the Twinshock competitors not even showing up to Sipapu. I really don't like competing in a class all by myself. That's not competition, it's just a ride so my scores really suffered. My head was just not in it. However since Lineaway is like 4 times a better rider than I will ever hope to be, I am going to selfishly take the points. I turned down the trinkets for each day's win (if you could call it that), and had some homemade fudge instead. I predict that Lineaway won't be down for long, though. I'm going to enjoy being ahead of him in points while I can.

Anyhoo I celebrated OJ's overall by polishing up the 'ol wretch, and giving the seat a new coat of duct tape. The old "cover" was starting to look pretty ragged -

Lookin' good. Better, anyway -

The more improvements made, the better it gets, I'm starting to ponder hootchy-ing up 'ol OJ. Miss Bitters votes no, it would tarnish OJ's scruffy image. I'm not convinced. Not yet anyway. We'll see.

More to come!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #200
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Your welcome, and thanks for the kind words. Since the coors can got me to ride expert sunday. I was a little out of riding condition. I knew I was in for a long day, when last years class winner was punching sections on the first loop! Riding twinshock is a little less demanding for sure. That`s all right, next year when my son moves up to semi-expert the class will grow by two!!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #201
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,324
Just do a full Resto-Mod....you know...You want too ...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #202
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Your welcome, and thanks for the kind words. Since the coors can got me to ride expert sunday. I was a little out of riding condition. I knew I was in for a long day, when last years class winner was punching sections on the first loop! Riding twinshock is a little less demanding for sure. That`s all right, next year when my son moves up to semi-expert the class will grow by two!!

YOU are welcome for the kind words. Keep 'em in mind when you annihilate me later.

Yeah, those pesky beer cans get me to ride a bunch of stuff I never thought of before. Hopefully that will apply next year with what, BOTH Rowlands riding Twinshock???? Oh, goody!

You riding B-Town tomorrow??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Just do a full Resto-Mod....you know...You want too ...
Maybe. Just maybe...

brewtus screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 06:21 PM Reason: 2 Rowlands in Twinshock. Goody.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #203
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
The fun continues.

I got around to installing a #40 pilot jet and the Honda upgrade jet needle/air mixture screw kit that I had lying around for years. It's the same upgrade that Taxonomy posted in his Reflex jetting fix thread. I bought a #100 main for it, since the smallest jet I had that would fit was a #130. A bit big.

I had installed the pilot jet before heading off to Sipapu last weekend for our June event. The off-idle response was noticeably more crisp. Earlier this week I had replaced the air mixture screw. Even more crisp. Today I dragged out the needle kit -

Old needle on the right, new on the left. After installing it, I replaced the main jet with the #100 I bought. I was more than a little surprised to find a #82 main in the carb. OE jetting was a #92. No wonder this thing was so weak. After the carb work, I removed the airbox restrictor -

Bolted the tank back on and went for a little testride. WOW what a difference! MUCH better off-idle power, and the sound from the air rushing into the unrestricted airbox when I open the throttle sounds really cool. Ran it 'till it was good-n-boiling hot (not too hard to do on a 95-degree day) and 'ol OJ never even hiccuped.

I did notice a bit of a concern while I had the tank off. Looks like the frame tubes welded to the upper spar coming up from the engine cradle/swingarm mount are developing cracks -

I'll break out the welder next weekend and remedy that situation. The good news is that the footpeg mounts held up nicely to what turned out to be a brutal weekend for the ol' bike. OJ got beat up pretty well by the log crossings and "V" rock gates that not only scraped up the new footpeg mounts, but also stopped the bike solid on one particular obstacle. That, and a SPECTACULAR backflip (OJ spun over 2-1/2 times!) on a hillclimb section (WAY too much throttle in second gear, never saw the bump hidden in the grass that sent the front end skyward) that resulted in....this -

Yup, broke the front fender. It was possibly the very last "in the package" brand-new fender in North America.

Even with all the carnage (and exceptionally poor riding on my part), OJ still managed to win both days and get the Overall -

All the Overall competitors got a nifty Sipapu ski area sweatshirt and button. I got the button and a half-pound of homemade fudge courtesy of the ski lodge. I enjoy the fudge a lot more than I would the sweatshirt, and I have to admit I really like the chintzy button.

All that being said, don't read too much into the win. I was the lone competitor in Twinshock, with Lineaway's Montesa having crunched a crank bearing the day before the event, and the rest of the Twinshock competitors not even showing up to Sipapu. I really don't like competing in a class all by myself. That's not competition, it's just a ride so my scores really suffered. My head was just not in it. However since Lineaway is like 4 times a better rider than I will ever hope to be, I am going to selfishly take the points. I turned down the trinkets for each day's win (if you could call it that), and had some homemade fudge instead. I predict that Lineaway won't be down for long, though. I'm going to enjoy being ahead of him in points while I can.

Anyhoo I celebrated OJ's overall by polishing up the 'ol wretch, and giving the seat a new coat of duct tape. The old "cover" was starting to look pretty ragged -

Lookin' good. Better, anyway -

The more improvements made, the better it gets, I'm starting to ponder hootchy-ing up 'ol OJ. Miss Bitters votes no, it would tarnish OJ's scruffy image. I'm not convinced. Not yet anyway. We'll see.

More to come!

If you altered the steering angle, removed the flame trap from the air box, and fitted a Chinese pit bike carb, it would be even better and not cost much to do.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #204
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

Oddometer: 99
Here it goes again...............

I do like the high dollar seat cover, I think I am going that route on one of mine.
TXNMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #205
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,243
I read this thread and feel bad mine has been sitting in the garage since my march snow ride

been doing the vintage MX thing and havent had time to service the Honda or rebuild the Yamaha ...but the MX thing is wrecking my all ready wrecked back, got two races in the next two weeks and then probably doind the trials/trail putting thing for a little while untill some Grand Prix racing on November.

from the last trials trail ride

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #206
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,866
Brewtus was tearing it up today with all of his new found power.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #207
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Brewtus was tearing it up today with all of his new found power.

That section scared the SHIT out of me!!

Thanks Gordy for making me ride it. I think.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #208
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,324
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #209
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
That section scared the SHIT out of me!!

Thanks Gordy for making me ride it. I think.
Looks like camera trickery to me.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #210
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post

+1
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote