User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Bike choice help

I heed help figuring out what the best bike will be for me.

75% - solo
20%- 2-up
5% - 2 -up touring
Together my girlfriend and I weigh 330 lbs. Figure 40-60 lbs worth of gear (including riding gear) when touring.

This bike will be my daily motorcycle, so gas mileage is a must. I also want it to be a dual sport so I/we can go off road as well. I have been a dual sport rider all my motorcycle riding life and I'm not afraid to take something in the dirt. As long as it has adequate clearance and suspension, I won't stop when the road does. We have many times taken my 89 ZX10 with street tires 2-up out to her horses on the dirt. A few of the bikes I've looked at so far are the V-Strom 650 & 1000, BMW f650 Dakar. I can't really think of anything else that would fit the bill when you factor in I'd like the gas mileage to be in the high 40's to 50 range. Fuel injection would be nice, as well as it being less than 15 years old. I'm sure there are some out there, just need some help putting together a list. Thanks for any help.

ShooterDave screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 01:12 PM
ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,656
If you have long legs, you might want to add the Tiger XC to that list. Unfortunalety, it was just a bit too tall for me. It gets about 42 mpg.

The other bike that might be a good choice is the Yamaha Super Tenere. Even though its a 1200, it still gets about 42 mpg.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
RWP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
If budget's an issue a V-Strom 1000 would have plenty of power, reasonable size, and good used availability.
'07 DR650 (gone for now)
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWP View Post
If budget's an issue a V-Strom 1000 would have plenty of power, reasonable size, and good used availability.
Agree.
You will want a liter-size bike, if going longterm.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
You didn't say where you will be going and on what type of roads. If you are going south of the border, than forget all those suggestions so far. Your XR650L is a great bike (my South American choice for solo), but a bit uncomfortable for my wifey. For the lower continent, you cant go wrong 2-up on a KLR650. So much made for it in seats, luggage, modifications, etc. And you will run into sooo many others on the same bike (that hasn't changed in an eon!) and you can swap needed parts. If you choose a V-Strom (I rode a 1000 last week), you will SEVERLY limit where you can ride. TRY TO KEEP MOTO AND LUGGAGE UNDER LBS!

Cheers!
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote