User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #91
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
Anyone care to comment about gas spring vs. steel spring? I've been doing a bit of research, and I'm not seeing any downside to the gas spring technology, but several negatives about steel. Am I missing anything?
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #92
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,339
Inert gas pistons have, as far as I've researched, no downsides compared to metal springs. Pretty much every airgun forum recommends replacing the metal spring in one's break-open with an IGP. The only snag is cost, but it isn't a big one.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #93
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Anyone care to comment about gas spring vs. steel spring? I've been doing a bit of research, and I'm not seeing any downside to the gas spring technology, but several negatives about steel. Am I missing anything?
steel springers have been around for a long time, if they were that bad they wouldnt have survived this long? but gas rams are better.
i dont know if you have power limits where you are, but here in the UK if you put a gas ram meant for a .177 into a .22 rifle it'll push it way over the 12ft/lb legal limit. if you have no limits or the correct permit, go for it!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #94
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
steel springers have been around for a long time, if they were that bad they wouldnt have survived this long? but gas rams are better.
i dont know if you have power limits where you are, but here in the UK if you put a gas ram meant for a .177 into a .22 rifle it'll push it way over the 12ft/lb legal limit. if you have no limits or the correct permit, go for it!
Even here in commie MA our only restriction is we can't shoot one across a street.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #95
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,633
Theoben in the UK used to make gas rams of good reputation. They still exist but I don't know what they make any more, been 12 years or so since I was involved in air rifles.

I used to have one of these in .22. the Bees knees, the duck guts, REALLY good. sold to by moto x boots and where I was moving too it would be too hard to bring it.
http://www.air-arms.co.uk/products_prosport.html
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷

Hay Ewe screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 04:44 AM
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #96
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
It's been my experience that an air rifle can't drive a hollow-point fast enough to make it expand.
I have no idea what the different pellet shapes do inside of an animal, I've never gone looking for the pellet. But my experience has shown to me, that the pointed tip pellets tend to pass through and don't have as much "knock down", or they tend to wound more than kill. The flatter front pellets like wadcutters and "destroyers" will usually render a much quicker kill in small squirrel sized animals! I shoot into a sheet of plywood when sighting in or practicing on targets, and those pellets are usually flattened or severely deformed in the wood. But wood isn't meat either, I understand that much. I actually shot about 25 pellets this morning to sight in a scope, and play around, and most all of those pellets just barely penetrate the plywood, flattening out into decent sized wads. None fully penetrated a 3/8" sheet of ply wood though. Most stop in the first two or three layers.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #97
galute
are we there yet?

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
Is there a concensus on "bang for buck" in this thread? Is there a KLR of Air rifles? My only exposure was 40 years ago with a Crosman 760 and 30 years ago with a Crosman 454 CO2 pistol. Sure those German ones look great but are priced accordingly.
In my opinion the KLR of air rifles would be either a Ruger Blackhawk or Airhawk. They can be had new for around a hundred bucks. They are Chinese copy's of the diana 34's and are good quality for the money. I've got one of each and they are dead nuts accurate. My Blackhawk is my truck gun and has had thousands of trouble free rounds thru it. Plus it's cheap enough that I don't worry bout it getting knocked around a little.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #98
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I have no idea what the different pellet shapes do inside of an animal, I've never gone looking for the pellet. But my experience has shown to me, that the pointed tip pellets tend to pass through and don't have as much "knock down", or they tend to wound more than kill. The flatter front pellets like wadcutters and "destroyers" will usually render a much quicker kill in small squirrel sized animals! I shoot into a sheet of plywood when sighting in or practicing on targets, and those pellets are usually flattened or severely deformed in the wood. But wood isn't meat either, I understand that much. I actually shot about 25 pellets this morning to sight in a scope, and play around, and most all of those pellets just barely penetrate the plywood, flattening out into decent sized wads. None fully penetrated a 3/8" sheet of ply wood though. Most stop in the first two or three layers.

I agree.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #99
4ad
ochlacrat

Oddometer: 2,592
I've got to try this...make your own exploding pellets

4ad screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 07:47 AM
4ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #100
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ad View Post
I've got to try this...make your own exploding pellets

That's interesting, but when would you use an exploding pellet? Would it need to hit something as hard as a concrete wall to detonate? Also, it seems like a perfect way to reverse-fire the BB at the shooter

(I don't expect you to have the answers to those questions, I'm just thinking out loud).
Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #101
4ad
ochlacrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
That's interesting, but when would you use an exploding pellet? Would it need to hit something as hard as a concrete wall to detonate? Also, it seems like a perfect way to reverse-fire the BB at the shooter...takes me back to those invincible yrs when we shot our BB guns at 22lr bullets stuck in a cardboard box (in the basement) and watched the casings bounce around the room..and the cherrybomb grenades we used to throw at each other packed with clay with bbs stuck all over it...its a good damn thing girls started looking better.

(I don't expect you to have the answers to those questions, I'm just thinking out loud).
I think I'll try to drill out some hollow points and face the bb forwards instead...I have some 28gr 22cal that would fit a shload of that powder...oh what fun!

I think hitting bone would set it off. If the powder will withstand molten lead, one could pour a seal instead of a hard bb...or just use a lead ball in that cal.

After researching homemade formulas it appears the daring could custom tune the sensitivity. but I found some basic stuff here ....

http://www.costumes4less.com/Newco-F...IA36_Prod.aspx

4ad screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 09:28 AM
4ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #102
4ad
ochlacrat

these look like fun....I could picture myself shooting at little thimbles of gas with these...at the end he shoots a bic lighter

Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #103
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
looking for an air rifle

The requirements are it has to be light, has to run off of CO2, and needs to be pretty cheap....cheap because I doubt I will go back to it when I can go back to firearms in general.
I will spend up to a couple hundred....but just would rather not because not sure if it is something I will use in the long run.

Reasons are....I still want to shoot something, and I think that something with zero recoil and I don't have to cock or pump will fit in with the Dr.'s orders. It also has to be light....I am also not suppose to lift anything heavy at all. I have some pretty nice air rifles already, but they are heavy and I can't break the barrel on them....this is why the CO2 and I want it to use the standard CO2 cartridges.

All I am going to do is shoot paper, and perhaps tin cans and such.

I was thinking of the Crosman 1077...any other ideas?

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosma..._air_rifle/204

Lots of plastic, but I need light....think it might fit the bill....but it is a hunk of junk?

Just wanted to add....looking and looking and there is just not a lot out there....everything that looks like it is worth a crap is brake barrel.

FPGT72 screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 10:17 AM
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #104
chipgibbs
ChipG

Oddometer: 123
Cheap & Light

Check out Archer Airguns. They carry the Chinese QB78 line of bolt action CO2 rifles. There are lots of upgrades available and it is a very easy gun to work on. I have many high dollar airguns and the QB is one I'd never sell. It's just too fun.

ChipG

ChipG
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #105
4ad
ochlacrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The requirements are it has to be light, has to run off of CO2, and needs to be pretty cheap....cheap because I doubt I will go back to it when I can go back to firearms in general.
I will spend up to a couple hundred....but just would rather not because not sure if it is something I will use in the long run.

Reasons are....I still want to shoot something, and I think that something with zero recoil and I don't have to cock or pump will fit in with the Dr.'s orders. It also has to be light....I am also not suppose to lift anything heavy at all. I have some pretty nice air rifles already, but they are heavy and I can't break the barrel on them....this is why the CO2 and I want it to use the standard CO2 cartridges.

All I am going to do is shoot paper, and perhaps tin cans and such.

I was thinking of the Crosman 1077...any other ideas?

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosma..._air_rifle/204

Lots of plastic, but I need light....think it might fit the bill....but it is a hunk of junk?

Just wanted to add....looking and looking and there is just not a lot out there....everything that looks like it is worth a crap is brake barrel.
For something truly light I'd recommend the Crosman 2400 carbine...under a hundred bucks from Crosmans custom shop, boring accurate, hard hitting and tons of easy,cheap and well documented mods ...a really well made jewel of a gun. http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: