User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
Puke

Heyyyyyyyy Shibby If you could not find lodgings on Mex 16 from Hermosillo to Chihuahua you must already have been suffering hypothermia and it's debilitating effects on the power of observation

There are plenty of towns and villages along that road and I know for a fact that there are plenty of acceptable rooms for the traveller at reasonable rates

Pardon the inappropriate (?) emoticon upper left -- not intended, I amusing a new method for this post and hit some key and cannot figure outhow to wipe it off.

As for the OP plans , It has the makings of a good ride but. It really should be given lots more time
the growing appetite is hauling in more than a available time will permit

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 08:07 AM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Heyyyyyyyy Shibby If you could not find lodgings on Mex 16 from Hermosillo to Chihuahua you must already have been suffering hypothermia and it's debilitating effects on the power of observation

There are plenty of towns and villages along that road and I know for a fact that there are plenty of acceptable rooms for the traveller at reasonable rates

Pardon the inappropriate (?) emoticon upper left -- not intended, I amusing a new method for this post and hit some key and cannot figure outhow to wipe it off.

As for the OP plans , It has the makings of a good ride but. It really should be given lots more time
the growing appetite is hauling in more than a available time will permit
I started that day after camping in the bushes on the plateau rising from Batopilas. Went to Creel, then headed west on the 16.

There may have been a place early on in the day, but I swear I only passed one small town going across a flat section between more mountain ranges. In those mountains I was stopped at a military check point. I even asked them and they said no places to stay. That's when I rode a few km's and saw a bridge. Went down the access path to the river bottom below and slept down there in my tent.

The hotel I did stop at (it was my nephews b-day and I wanted to call him) was 350 pessos/night, where to most is very reasonable, but to me was quite a bit of money. I'll fully admit I was traveling for less then most and liked to stay well under 500 pesso's per day. I think I averaged around $32/ day with accommodations, food, gas, etc.

Not saying it wasn't hypothermia either, because it was a chilly ride at times! The sun was going down and it was only getting colder real fast!

On a side note, that road had spectacular views, turns and riding in general. Only bad thing was one flat tire for me which was changed on the side of the road with a 5" nail going through the bottom and side of my tire.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Here's an alternative: Trust me the more time you spend up in the Sierra the more fun you'll have. Ride to Mazatlan the fastest way possible (cuota 15), eat Huachinango al mojo de ajo at Pancho's. Ride the Espinazo over the Sierra to Durango. This is not a full day's ride but you might want to stop there for the day anyway. Ride to Parral, then to Balleza then to Guachochi. From there take the super fun route to Creel. From Creel ride to San Juanito then go to Basaseachic on the new paved route. At Basaseachic, turn west on Mex 16 and ride the beautiful trans-Sierra road to Yecora. There is good lodging in Yecora BTW. Return home. This can be done either way depending on if you want the fun part on the tail end of the trip or the front. This route will give you maximum time in the mountains. It will be an awesome week on the bike.
+1. Jimmex, Sjoerd, and JDowns are all basically describing the same loop. In my opinion it can be done in 6 days on a GS.

-2 days to cross the border and get down the coast to Mazatlan (hot and straight). In Mazatlan have huachinango at Panchos.

-1 day from Maz to DGO or Parral (awesome riding but look out for trucks in your lane). Durango is a nicer town to stay in than Parral but it is only a 2/3 day ride from Maz to DGO and you can get to Parral in one long day.

-1 day Parral to Creel on Highway 23 through Guachochi (awesome riding, brand new pavement on curvy roads very little traffic).

-1 day Creel to Moctezuma on HW 16 and HW 20 cut north at Sahuaripa and Tapache (lots of curves, very isolated).

-1 day Moctezuma to Phoenix.

It wont be relaxing like sitting on the beach but it will be fun! I'd invite you for a beer in DGO but I will be out of town the week you are coming through. I like to spend the 4th of July in the US.

PS: Someone needs to try out Highway 24 from Culiacan to Parral, that would be another option. They are working on paving it right now and it should be another great curvy through the Sierra. I have never done it but it looks like a neat ride!

SR screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 08:24 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
for that amount of time i'd just do rio sonora & sonora 16 and beach it at san carlos and reverse back out.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote