Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #331
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
Those of you saying that it can't be done, don't tell this guy.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797288
Definitely at the dirtier end of ADV riding, and for that particular subset of compromises the 500 EXC (an orange bike ...shhhhh!) seems to work well. I wonder how it would fare with 1000+ miles of slabbing on either end of the trip?

Planning a Big Bend dualsport ride one of these days and will have to slab 800+ miles each way on my DR-350. I'm fairly confident it will do it but expect I'll be wishing for my comfy 1100GS long before I get 1/2 way there - and glad I'm not on the big girl once I hit that S. Texas dirt.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #332
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:

total mileage for the trip 556... great dual sport bike and a nice ride.. 556 miles does not make an adventure bike. OP asked about 450cc bikes in the Dakar leading to better 450cc adventure bikes..he muddied the water when he threw in the words Dual Sport in the same post.. I dont think Dual Sport and Adventure are the same thing. Everyone knows there are some great DS 450's out there.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #333
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:

Not sayin it was a shitty ride or no fun but unless there's more pics that didn't get posted everything shown was doable on anything. Any old Virago would have been fine, they're just dirt roads for Pete's sake look at the car tracks, no reason to need a small bike for that.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #334
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Not sayin it was a shitty ride or no fun but unless there's more pics that didn't get posted everything shown was doable on anything. Any old Virago would have been fine, they're just dirt roads for Pete's sake look at the car tracks, no reason to need a small bike for that.
true story i do much worse on my xt. granted you can do way better powerslides and wheelies with his setup but even those get old after a while.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #335
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
...I dont think Dual Sport and Adventure are the same thing...
An ADV bike is just a specialized DS bike.

Wish this thread would just die...stubborn people who won't admit that what is being asked for ALREADY EXISTS!

Title should read "450cc Japanese DS/ADV bikes", because that is obviously what is in fact being asked for.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #336
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
It was a test run...seeing how spartan he could get with gear, how the road manners and distance riding was, what kind of mileage.

I think he knows how well it does in the dirt
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #337
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
It was a test run...seeing how spartan he could get with gear, how the road manners and distance riding was, what kind of mileage.

I think he knows how well it does in the dirt
I get it, I wasn't berating anything just stating a fact.

PG007
Old 06-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #338
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
An ADV bike is just a specialized DS bike.

Wish this thread would just die...stubborn people who won't admit that what is being asked for ALREADY EXISTS!

Title should read "450cc Japanese DS/ADV bikes", because that is obviously what is in fact being asked for.
Oh I think the KTM 500 is the best step yet, along with the Husaberg 570 towards the answer.. they just need more oil capacity to really get the job done.. here is a link to a Husaber 570 on a real adventure ride..http://www.facebook.com/#!/HusabergAdventureTeam

.. I have no doubt the 500 could be used the same way. However, both require compromises that could be addressed by the manufacturers.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #339
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Yep you're right 3N, but there's not a single bike out there that would be more fun on that stuff than that SE in your sig line. Ask me how I know.

My FE450 has been great to me! Wouldn't think twice about doing a full TAT run on it. Valve check can be done trail side in under 30 min. Oil capacity is easy to cure...build your own oil cooler. Oil is easy to find...Rotella T at any Walmart. Seat by Renazco...no more monkey butt. Kreiga and Wolfman Rollie bags. Plenty of fuel tank options. Rear wheel with cush drive hub from a KTM 640. Let's roll, and it's a 450.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #340
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Yep you're right 3N, but there's not a single bike out there that would be more fun on that stuff than that SE in your sig line. Ask me how I know.

My FE450 has been great to me! Wouldn't think twice about doing a full TAT run on it. Valve check can be done trail side in under 30 min. Oil capacity is easy to cure...build your own oil cooler. Oil is easy to find...Rotella T at any Walmart. Seat by Renazco...no more monkey butt. Kreiga and Wolfman Rollie bags. Plenty of fuel tank options. Rear wheel with cush drive hub from a KTM 640. Let's roll, and it's a 450.
That sounds like a good set up you have going there. I think a 45 is a great DS bike but they just don't transfer to true ADV duty well.

PG007
Old 06-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #341
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
That sounds like a good set up you have going there. I think a 45 is a great DS bike but they just don't transfer to true ADV duty well.
Heck...I can have an adventure on my HD. Come to think of it every time I get on it I have an adventure dodgin nuts in cages.

There's stuff on the TAT I wouldn't think of puttin my SE on, but I'd put my FE on any and every part of it. The TAT's an adventure right?

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #342
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Adventure is where ya find it... but I consider an "Adventure Bike" to be one capable of both significant dirt and significant pavement, on one tank of gas... at least 250 miles. 300 lbs. unloaded is my goal for the upper weight limit. 'Lectric start is a must...

All that being said, I've ridden my STs on many tracks GSs will never see, and I've ridden my ol' XT-350 Yam on thousand mile weekends. This thread is giving me more ideas for my "ultimate ADV bike." The Hasulberg Andes Adventure is inspiring...

BTW, here's a link to their actual web site, with details of the record-setting ride. Start at the bottom.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #343
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Adventure is where ya find it... but I consider an "Adventure Bike" to be one capable of both significant dirt and significant pavement, on one tank of gas... at least 250 miles. 300 lbs. unloaded is my goal for the upper weight limit. 'Lectric start is a must...

All that being said, I've ridden my STs on many tracks GSs will never see, and I've ridden my ol' XT-350 Yam on thousand mile weekends. This thread is giving me more ideas for my "ultimate ADV bike." The Hasulberg Andes Adventure is inspiring...

BTW, here's a link to their actual web site, with details of the record-setting ride. Start at the bottom.
Well if just go to their website... you miss the whole adventure piece. The climb up the mountain was a ride any FI 450/500 could do.. the ride back up to Montana by one of the teammates is the true adventure piece.. IMHO
Old 06-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #344
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Well if just go to their website... you miss the whole adventure piece. The climb up the mountain was a ride any FI 450/500 could do.. the ride back up to Montana by one of the teammates is the true adventure piece.. IMHO
MRT, the original note had the link to their adventure but not to the details of the climb. I read thru both... Those guys are great at what they do, both riding and living the good life. I wanna do more of that eype ride myself.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #345
George 99
Studly Adventurer

This BLOG (current as of today, and reading like a real adventure) is pushng me harder toward another DRZ-400-S... good read and great pics as well. Makes the Long Way 'Round read like a trip to the park.

Another current model bike
really has my attention as a potential "Adventure" bike, a complete departure from anything else duscussed in this thread. Bigger motor and definitely heavy (500+ lbs) but chain drive and reasonable wheel sizes say "Go Anywhere" (and so does Honda's hyperbole: "...the Shadow RS will transport you anywhere you want to go, and you’re going to have a blast getting there.

Anyhoo, the old school boys used to ride desert and enduros on such,,, think about, the BSA 441 Gold Star was a "small lightweight" back then, even the Triumph and BSA twins were small compared to the Indian and Harley post WWII surplus stuff. Bobbers and choppers were an attempt to get the weight down for increased functionality and speed. This bike already has that done for ya... small tank tho, the larger tank from the shaft drive models would be a good farle, plus adding a bash plate made from a grain shovel...