Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #106
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,615
It would be wise to get heavy duty tubes (4-6mil thick) they go a long way in preventing flats. Most tubes bought off the shelf are thin. If you can plan things out order parts or tubes/tires and have them sent to a town and motel your gonna stay out say in 3-4 days. A little planning will save you heartache later.

After Marshall Pas, there are two motorcycle shops in Gunnison Colorado, about 20 miles off the trail, turn off from Colorado Mile mark 338.30 and take 50 to Gunnison, both shops are on 50.

http://www.sunsportsunlimited.com/

http://gunnisonmotorsports.com/

Rocky Mountain ATV (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Contact-Us) located in Utah so they can get parts to the Western states quickly.

Or Motorcycle Tire Super store quick tire shipping!

You know your gonna be in Moab so figure out some things you need and call Moab Power Sports and talk to Doricca, she's pretty hot, well about your mom's age but still hot.

Make sure your chain and sprockets are doing well, these can ruin your day. Think about changing your oil and keep that chain lubed. On our trip we changed oil every 1,500 miles, luckily air filters stayed clean.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 04:48 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #107
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,190
" Is it little bro's like boy scout stuff? or is it a bunch of dudes just hanging out with cowboy hats on? whatever you're into midwest dudes"

awesome
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #108
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 739
im ready to bro down with this TAT report... a east coast bro is way better than a west coast bra

a little more info on how you’re eating and camp and bike setup would be cool though.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #109
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,139
Dirt bike shop in Battle Mountain Nv

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #110
wrangler747
KLR for life

Oddometer: 540
Bro, loving the ride report. By now I am sure you are shredding along, if not do as the others have mentioned with the "patch" The Slime patches you can buy at Wal-mart or any type of store are wicked good. I once used one to patch a rip which was almost an inch long as a last resort on a 1500 dual-sport ride last year, the slime patch barely covered the hole as I only had a small patch left. To top it off we only got about 8lbs of air in tire before our pump broke. I rode it out about 40 miles till first place I could get air, but that dang patch held another 400 or so miles till I got home. (I know I should of changed it at earliest convienence) Patches do work well and will keep you shredding

Keep it real Bro
Old 06-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #111
mxbulldog
Braaaap!

Oddometer: 116
Patch kit bro! Check that tire for little thorns and shit that will keep poppin those tubes.

Great report.
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #112
megashred OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
details

thanks for all the shop suggestions. seriously keep them coming. I wanna get a list so if shit goes to hell again I can have a back up plan. Since I can't shred I'll try and answer some of the questions out there.

bike setup: I have an 07 650l that had 2k on it prior to the trip. Everything is stock except for a K&N filter and the smog shit removed. I made the rear and side racks out of 1/2" tubing and they seem to be holding up awesome. They use the passenger footpeg holes and blinker mounts so they're totally removable. I had some diamond plate laying around so I fabbed up a skid plate real quick. Definitely recommend that. these gravel roads throw up rocks constantly. Tank bag comes in handy a lot too.

Navigation: GPS is mad crucial. I figured out a way to trace the path in google earth and transfer that to basecamp. Everything is spot on. Also, the garmin rd map that comes with the standard NUVI has had 99% of the roads so far....very impressed with that. some of these roads are out there. If anyone wants directions on how to do that, or the GPX files (if you can show you bought the maps....not trying to cheat Sam out of anything or whatever) I can hook you up no problem.

food and shit: I have a one person tent, -20 sleeping bag, pad, jetboil stove, and snacks on snacks. I usually just stop in town and food up and eat one big meal a day, then do something simple with the jet boil at night.

as for timing, I was planning on three weeks but I think I'm trucking. I have had no trouble clocking 300 + miles a day....but then again, I'm solo, and I like to rip it. From what I can tell, timing on this trip is all about rider skill and preparation. We'll see how long it takes me, but I kinda want to throw down on July 4th with my bros....we'll see though
megashred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #113
GodSpeedRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Anything similar to the TAT?

Subscribed! Is there anythings similar to the TAT? It seems pretty novel. I'm looking to do a long trip but don't want to cramp your style bro.

GodSpeedRally screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 05:03 PM
GodSpeedRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #114
kyled1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Great ride report. My son and I are starting the TAT in a little less than 3 weeks.

Good luck......Kyle
kyled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #115
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by megashred View Post

as for timing, I was planning on three weeks but I think I'm trucking. I have had no trouble clocking 300 + miles a day....but then again,

you ain't made it to Utah and NV yet, your miles covered are gonna drop,
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #116
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Regarding the "bro-speak," this scene came to mind:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/504...om-airplanefan

I'm convinced, megashred; you do speak Jive!

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #117
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
My 2 cents.........

Hey Bro
Rode the TAT to Trinidad back in April, if you make it to Buffalo, Ok say hi to firemanwilson at the gas station. He rode the TAT in May.
You mean to tell me that you dont have Cowboy Camps in Ver-mont???
Enjoy your "shred" and be kind to the locals and their way of living, they will be the ones that will haul you out of trouble...............
Happy shredding bro.........
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #118
DavidO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
In

subscribed bro
DavidO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #119
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Hey Bro

We are in Beaver Ok heading your way. Planning on New Mexico to Trenidad tomorrow night. Call if you want to hook up, buy you a beer.

Two Dog
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #120
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Number

865-803-8269
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote