Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #136
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Denmark beating the Dutch made my day. Even better than that, though, is seeing that Germany now has a SOLID central defence! Hummels was, by far, the man of the match for me. Hummels and "Good"stuber (he really isn' "Bad"stuber) will be the reason Germany wins this tournament. When was the last time Lahm was the worst of the back four? Nani really did trouble Lahm back there.

The last ten minutes of the game took forever. I'm not quite sure why Portugal waited so long to start doing what they do best - attack.

Neuer: A-
Boa: B
Hummels: A+
Badstuber: A
Lahm: D
Schweini: C
Khedira: B
Mueller: C
Ozil: C
Poldi: D
Gomez: B-
Loew: A+++ for bringing Hummels over the dreaded stiff Mertesaecker.

I am hoping for Schuerlle over Poldi against the Dutch.

In closing, I know all of you know: defence wins tournaments. I know we can put the ball in the back of the net, now it looks like we won't concede too many!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #137
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
Denmark beating the Dutch made my day. Even better than that, though, is seeing that Germany now has a SOLID central defence! Hummels was, by far, the man of the match for me. Hummels and "Good"stuber (he really isn' "Bad"stuber) will be the reason Germany wins this tournament. When was the last time Lahm was the worst of the back four? Nani really did trouble Lahm back there.

The last ten minutes of the game took forever. I'm not quite sure why Portugal waited so long to start doing what they do best - attack.

Neuer: A-
Boa: B
Hummels: A+
Badstuber: A
Lahm: D
Schweini: C
Khedira: B
Mueller: C
Ozil: C
Poldi: D
Gomez: B-
Loew: A+++ for bringing Hummels over the dreaded stiff Mertesaecker.

I am hoping for Schuerlle over Poldi against the Dutch.

In closing, I know all of you know: defence wins tournaments. I know we can put the ball in the back of the net, now it looks like we won't concede too many!
Don't discount Lahm too much. He plays behind Podolski, who is lazy on defense. Schweinsteiger was missing and I think he only played, because he needs playing time. He is quite essential for the later games. I have to agree that Hummels found the right moment to find his form in the NT. I guess Mertesacker won't see many games. Boateng was merely acceptable in my opinion. He was good in defense, but didn't help in any way with attacks. I would not be surprised, if he really loses his place to Bender in future games. His passing is simply not good enough. He tried some long balls over to Podolski who had room to maneuvre, but these were sloppy. His (and Lahms) concentration on defense could have been a tactical decision by Löw, though.
I have to disagree on your grade for Löw. He made the right choice with Gomez and Hummels, but he could have helped the game much more by taking off Özil earlier and by giving Schürrle his chance. Germany did pull back too much for the last 15 minutes. These changes would have helped in defense (Kroos' defensive abilities are much superior to Özil) and Schürrle could have helped Lahm in defense much better than Podolski and bring much needed relief by renewing attack.

All in all, it was a very tactical game and very defensive. Portugal was pressed early and could not play an efficient counter play. They themselves played very disciplined and closed free spaces very good. This hampered Özil and the usual german vertical game. Germany didn't look very good though (mostly because Schweinsteiger was missing in action). Defense was more solid than most people expected, but the attack game was very static. The biggest fault was to retreat too much after the goal. This caused the most dangerous time in the last 10 minutes. That was simply unnecessary.

A bit of a lucky, but not undeserved win. Germany dominated the game for most of the time.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #138
ThePikeman
German n00b

I had to watch another game after the Holland - Denmark match, so here is my take on it.

Lucky win by Denmark, but not undeserved either. They played very disciplined in defense and Holland didn't convert their chances. At the end of the first half and at the end of the game, the ugly orange team kind of disintegrated into its individual parts. They tried everything alone and often left their tactical position for that. Their defense was also quite sloppy at times (not that it had a lot of work to do).

Denmark for their part played a good game. They defended good and used their few chances and counters. They even played on par with Holland after they were in shock after the goal.

The Netherlands have their back to the wall already. They have to win against Germany to stay in the tournament. It will be a much more open game. They aren't really able to repeat the tactical approach Portugal used. Their players are to egoistic for that.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #139
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
Don't discount Lahm too much. He plays behind Podolski, who is lazy on defense. Schweinsteiger was missing and I think he only played, because he needs playing time. He is quite essential for the later games. I have to agree that Hummels found the right moment to find his form in the NT. I guess Mertesacker won't see many games. Boateng was merely acceptable in my opinion. He was good in defense, but didn't help in any way with attacks. I would not be surprised, if he really loses his place to Bender in future games. His passing is simply not good enough. He tried some long balls over to Podolski who had room to maneuvre, but these were sloppy. His (and Lahms) concentration on defense could have been a tactical decision by Löw, though.
I have to disagree on your grade for Löw. He made the right choice with Gomez and Hummels, but he could have helped the game much more by taking off Özil earlier and by giving Schürrle his chance. Germany did pull back too much for the last 15 minutes. These changes would have helped in defense (Kroos' defensive abilities are much superior to Özil) and Schürrle could have helped Lahm in defense much better than Podolski and bring much needed relief by renewing attack.

All in all, it was a very tactical game and very defensive. Portugal was pressed early and could not play an efficient counter play. They themselves played very disciplined and closed free spaces very good. This hampered Özil and the usual german vertical game. Germany didn't look very good though (mostly because Schweinsteiger was missing in action). Defense was more solid than most people expected, but the attack game was very static. The biggest fault was to retreat too much after the goal. This caused the most dangerous time in the last 10 minutes. That was simply unnecessary.

A bit of a lucky, but not undeserved win. Germany dominated the game for most of the time.
It was, indeed, a game played at the "hoechschtem level" (Schwaebischer Akzent) of tactics. Both teams were disciplined at tightening up spaces. After WC 2010, it makes sense that teams approach Germany now with a more defensive stature. I'm not so sure we will see the likes of the games we played at WC 2010 (the almost erotic drubbings of England and the Argies). The quick, vertical play may not come to the forefront much anymore. If we go up a goal early against the Dutch, perhaps then we may see some of it. If not, expect to see some more "Bayern" fare - possession, but difficulty in breraking down organized defences.

Anyways, looking forward to the next delicacy; Spain - Italy.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #140
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
It was, indeed, a game played at the "hoechschtem level" (Schwaebischer Akzent) of tactics. Both teams were disciplined at tightening up spaces. After WC 2010, it makes sense that teams approach Germany now with a more defensive stature. I'm not so sure we will see the likes of the games we played at WC 2010 (the almost erotic drubbings of England and the Argies). The quick, vertical play may not come to the forefront much anymore. If we go up a goal early against the Dutch, perhaps then we may see some of it. If not, expect to see some more "Bayern" fare - possession, but difficulty in breraking down organized defences.

Anyways, looking forward to the next delicacy; Spain - Italy.
In short, teams will read up on anti spain tactics when playing against Germany.
I am confident that Germany is better posed to overcome this, though. Spain is at times a bit limited in the ways they can score.

I guess the game tonight will show more about the ability of Spain. Italy can defend very reliable.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #141
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,662
I'm torn on the Italy - Spain game. I like Spain and have always despised Italy. But I like Balotelli and tactically this looks like a fascinating match.

Edit: screw that, Italy have already started with their bullshit histrionics.

JNRobert screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 10:18 AM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #142
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I'm torn on the Italy - Spain game. I like Spain and have always despised Italy. But I like Balotelli and tactically this looks like a fascinating match.

Edit: screw that, Italy have already started with their bullshit histrionics.
Nice game so far. Spain look far from dominating.
Talk about a crowded midfield...
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #143
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Nice game so far. Spain look far from dominating.
Talk about a crowded midfield...
Little too busy ref and Silva is wasting so many chances - they really need Villa. But great so far.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #144
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Yup, I'm enjoying the game. Not a fan of the "Phantom 9" that Spain is playing, but what do I know?

If I were the Walrus, I'd bring in Torres, lay back a little in hopes of decongesting the 30 yards in front of Buffon's goal.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #145
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Well, that's it. Italy will now put 11 men behind the ball.

Woo Hoo I stand corrected !!!!! Fabregas!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #146
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

My God, what is wrong with Torres. He just doesn't have it anymore.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #147
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
My God, what is wrong with Torres. He just doesn't have it anymore.
I wouldn't throw him out of my bed, but sure as hell, I wouldn't put him in a football team.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #148
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
I wouldn't throw him out of my bed, but sure as hell, I wouldn't put him in a football team.
I'm not seeing the game, but your comments make up for that!
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #149
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanzed View Post
I'm not seeing the game, but your comments make up for that!
The best summary of the game I've read so far was: Catenaccio + Tiki Taka = Bunga Bunga! Caramba!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #150
Ostion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I think Italy played a very decent game, it reminds me to Real Madrid's attitude on the last game against Barcelona. Quick counter attack, and let them sleep the ball if they want. Italy would have scored more than once if they had Real Madrid's offense. Spain played their typical, predictable, tiki taka, which works until somebody scores against you. Their definition is still sub par. My $.02.
Ostion is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: