ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #91
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
As we had catastrophic fires last year in Texas we send our prayers to put the fires out your way. We may catch crap from people about being from Texas but we care very much about our friends and neighbors. We are with you in our prayers.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #92
ItsDoAble
Ravens follow me ...

Oddometer: 115
Group of us went up to Swamp Creek / Killpecker (Red Feathers) today. Fire is a lot farther north than I expected. Driving back I could see flames south from the Red Feathers Rd..

This is on 287 driving to Ted's Place from the north ...
ItsDoAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #93
mdrauh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I rode up the canyon yesterday afternoon before they closed the road, but got redirected through Red Feather Lakes to 287 on my way home this morning. Here's a shot while filling up the KLR at Ted's Place about 11:30AM today. I hope they get this thing under control, but I doubt that's going to happen soon. Ugh...

mdrauh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #94
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,744
View from a West Fort Collins backyard of the smoke plume.

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #95
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
We may catch crap from people about being from Texas but we care very much about our friends and neighbors. We are with you in our prayers.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #96
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
The brownness you're seeing isn't a true reflection of the tree condition. There are many things that affect that. But the bottom line is that's it's very dry up here. We're putting together some images of close up areas from that satellite image. Don't think I can post the .pdf files here though and I'm not smart enough to link to them. I'll see what I can do.

Looks like you got ImageFinder figured out, nicely done.
Here is the image from Dusty that I'm posting. Keep in mind the date for this data - it does not show here but I believe it is late Saturday night!
Courtesy of Dusty and DigitalGlobe.com:

EDIT 6/11: I have also now seen these IR images posted on the 9news.com main fire page...

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 09:53 AM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #97
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVID1 View Post
View from a West Fort Collins backyard of the smoke plume.
I assume you mean in the flatlands in W. Ft. C and not in the foothills at all? If so that is shocking it looks so close! Dusty sent me these movies from his place in Horsetooth Lake Estates up on the SW side of Horsetooth Reservoir just across from the Horsetooth Mountain Park parking lot (mountain bike and hiking spot). These were taken at 4:00pm and since then he said they were evacuating nearby areas so at 5:30 he was packed up and leaving! Holy crap...

http://mattsnook.com/highparkfire2012/IMG_0147.MOV

http://mattsnook.com/highparkfire2012/IMG_0154.MOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
... Right now, I don't give a damn about riding areas being burned, they'll still be there, just burned and different when nature recovers. I'm worried sick about all the people and their homes and livelihoods in harm's way, obviously....
+1000 THANK YOU FIREFIGHTERS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDoAble View Post
Group of us went up to Swamp Creek / Killpecker (Red Feathers) today. Fire is a lot farther north than I expected. Driving back I could see flames south from the Red Feathers Rd..

This is on 287 driving to Ted's Place from the north ...
another tidbit... heard on the scanner feed a while ago that live power poles are burning in half on CR29c, which is on the north side of CO 14 a mile west of Ted's Place (CO 14 and US 287).

Tomorrow they are predicting a wind shift, I think the prevailing overall wind has been from the SW yesterday and today, and tomorrow it is supposed to be E or SE. Beware.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #98
kcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
The view from southeast Fort Collins

No good news again today. 30 mph winds and dry air, forecast for no moisture and rising temps all week. I rode Buckhorn to Pennock Pass, Stove Prairie, and the first part of Old Flowers last week (two separate 2 hour trips) and while I'm glad I was up there recently, I just keep thinking about how dry it all was, and how I commented to my wife that there wasn't even any melt runoff on the sides of the road :-( This area is going to be devastated for a LONG time. I'm dreading the news that the ranches on Old Flowers are gone, and dreading seeing the blackened hillsides in the entire area for the next 10 years.

This is a panorama shot from my house at I-25 and Harmony looking north and west at about 5pm today.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #99
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Assistance

Thinking about Dusty... (never even heard of him before today) and anybody else that is a fire refugee... and I'm offering my help. Adv IS a community!

I have a ton of room to park bikes (outside) if anybody needs space. Or other stuff for that matter (vehicles, etc.). I also have an SUV and trailer and can pickup bikes, assuming you have cleared the restricted area. NE Loveland.

You can even stay here, camp in my backyard (I have tents and gear) or inside the house... watch news on the TV, Wifi. If you know anybody that needs something, PM me.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #100
HiluxCrux
Under western skies.

Oddometer: 125
Officially 20,000 acres (31 sq miles) at this point, so unofficially higher than that of course. On course to make Hayman look like a weenie roast.

You know it's bad when the county sheriff says the best hope is "prayers".
Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #101
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
A buddy of mine that lives up above the Horestooth Marina has been evacuated. He's in good spirits about it all but man, this really sucks!
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #102
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
friend of mine works for CSU and just got called into work for fire patrol at the stadium
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #103
HiluxCrux
Under western skies.

Oddometer: 125
Pingree Park alum here. Just saw the sheriff say he put them on alert. This sucks...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #104
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 23,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc View Post
No good news again today. 30 mph winds and dry air, forecast for no moisture and rising temps all week. I rode Buckhorn to Pennock Pass, Stove Prairie, and the first part of Old Flowers last week (two separate 2 hour trips) and while I'm glad I was up there recently, I just keep thinking about how dry it all was, and how I commented to my wife that there wasn't even any melt runoff on the sides of the road :-( This area is going to be devastated for a LONG time. I'm dreading the news that the ranches on Old Flowers are gone, and dreading seeing the blackened hillsides in the entire area for the next 10 years.

This is a panorama shot from my house at I-25 and Harmony looking north and west at about 5pm today.

Do you think they will close I-25? We've got people in Colorado at a tournament, and that happened to me last year while I was driving back to NM. They closed I-25 and it was heck getting back - especially in the middle of the night.

Good luck to all of you in Colorado. We're sending good thoughts and prayers to you also from down south.

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #105
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker
I assume you mean in the flatlands in W. Ft. C and not in the foothills at all? If so that is shocking it looks so close!
ok I see now that you were looking west and the sun is just illuminating the wood smoke particles. I'm seeing something similar right at sunset here in Loveland looking at Ft. Collins, and the sun is off frame to the left. All of this orange glow is right over Ft. Fun but no the city proper is not on fire, it is just smoke and sunset magic. Hope everyone stays safe: