User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #286
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,137
Hey Rick,

The only RG story we have is him sitting on the bike. It was Chris Vestal that had the RG pit experience. He was much nicer in person than I expected.

Day 4

We spent the night going over the bike. Our rear tire had peeled a lug off sometime during the last stage, so we changed the tire and swapped the rear sprocket to the 40tooth one we had as a spare, pinching a tube in the process. We had two rollers on the bike for the chain. I had thought about swapping the lower roller with the upper, but somehow in the melee I forgot to do it.

In the morning I got on the bike and headed to the start. Bike felt good on the way to the start. We line up and I get the flag and as I gas the bike I feel something slip. Shit, I remember someone telling me that the 350s had a problem with stripping the counter shaft splines on the countershaft sprocket. Well this is what was stuck in my head when this was happening.

I get Mr. Gaynor pointed in the right direction and he pulls off at the pemex to get some gas. I telling myself I am just gonna ride her as far as I can and then deal with it when she won't go anymore. At the beginning of the start I ask Malcom what he thinks I should do, and he says like there was any other choice, "you need to ride that motorcycle son". That's what I thought he would say. I wait for the OSR guy, which turned out to be Rick. I tell him congrats on the race, they have it in the bag, our bike is acting up. I guess that advice went unheeded because he crashed a few times. I even think I saw evidence of his shenanigans in a few tight corners. Anyway I get the 3 2 1 and take off slowly. I am now not racing and actually looking around. There were lots of turns and it was easy to get off track, as I noticed that I was not the only one turning around in a few places. I start to notice that the bike wants to go faster. The slipping I experienced earlier only happens when I am in the lower gears. Start to head up into the mountains, get off track again and have to turn around in a ranchers front yard. I get caught up in a buggy traffic jam and get around them and back on the course. I see Mike again and get him pointed in the right direction again and continue on. It was somewhere in here that Mike and I were pointed down the wrong road by some locals. I tried to find the guy once I turned around, but he was hiding. I said some choice words to one of his buddies. I probably made as much sense to him as the teacher in the charlie brown cartoons, but I felt better. I think he understood my middle finger though.

We were supposed to do a rider change at the mag 7 pit in todos but I never saw the pit. Somewhere in this stage Mike and I ran together for awhile until the fast trucks came up then I didn't see him until the finish. So Get to the bottom of this small canyon and realize now is where I have to stop and try to fix my problem. If I don't the bike won't make it up the steep hill. I pull off at this small ranch along the course. I roll her under a small tree for some shade and start tearing the side cover off that hides the countershaft. I am assisted by my two new amigos from the ranch that are very helpfull. They even bring out some tools to help. I get the cover off and see that the countershaft sprocket is fine (facepalm), the bearings in the small roller are shot. Cool, bikes fine I am an idiot, I will just swap the rollers. Great idea, but somewhere on the course it decided to bail and it was gone. So the only option is to tighten the chain and hope that whats left of the roller will hang in till the finish.

Sometime in this little valley I tried to use the sat phone and no joy. I get all my stuff on and get back on the trail. Nice little ranch not a bad place to do a 40 min pit stop. Bike is doing OK, the chain is no longer slipping and I decide to kick her in the ass. I am feeling pretty stupid for not stopping earlier and at least look at the damn thing.

The road wound through the hills and every so often there was some sort of shrine. Some were pretty elaborate with electric lights and garland even. I get to the bottom of the hill and head to where I was to hand the bike off to my dad. I run across the suburban at the bottom of the long straight dirt road before the pavement. Dad says go ahead and take it in. We gas it up and I hit the pavement. The new smaller rear sprocket let me get the bike to a max speed of 82. Tried that on the dirt next to the road and was rewarded by a nice washout that bottomed the bike nicely. The road off the highway took me out to a big sand wash. The old bike handled the deep sand pretty well. I could feel the heat coming off the bike on my legs so I tried to keep her going as fast as she would go without blowing up. Upshifting and downshifting the whole way between third and fourth.

Finally the sand ended and they kicked us out on to the city streets which were roped off. Rolled into the finish and was given a shot of tequila.

Forgot to mention something. Somewhere in the middle of all this was a section they ran us through an old racetrack. I could see the people congregating on a small steep hill which I assumed they wanted me to go over. As I approached it a guy scrambled over the hill with his camera, this gave me some pause. I decided to see if there was a less crowded way to go through. I was not able to and had to double back. I sure they were disappointed when I did not catch any air and crash.

Anyway I want to say thanks to everyone that helped us out. The helmets were awesome thanks Kali, The DT filters kept the dirt out of the engine. The maxima oil kept her from blowing up. The top clamp from rsw worked really well with the steering dampner we had on the bike. KC even put us up on their facebook page. Thanks to dad for making it possible to do this.

The bike did remarkably well. No oil leaks and the only oil she used was on the first stage when we seated the rings. It was a new motor with about 50 miles on it before the race. So in this pic it is just as she rolled over the finish. Didn't even wash her.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #287
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 687
"I guess that advice went unheeded because he crashed a few times. I even think I saw evidence of his shenanigans in a few tight corners."

I laughed out loud when I read that one! I'm not known for being particularly smart or for following advice, besides we were still racing for position (overall), I also did not want to discount the fact that you might get it fixed and we might still have broken ourselves, which did almost come to pass. Looking forward to racing with Lameco again someday.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #288
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Son of Honzilla

Thought I would bump this. We have been working on getting the bike ready for next year. It is a slow process but have some new things for the bike on the horizon.

Funny story, I took the yss shocks to a suspension guy in Scottsdale. He put the shocks on his dyno and from what he figures they were sprung for a 500# rider. No wonder it was a little rough Should have that sorted out before the next race. Might even use the sl to prerun for the raceforthewounded effort in November.

-John

Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #289
Cornbread82
Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer: 379
Bring it down John I would love to get on that thing

Brett
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #290
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
Thought I would bump this. We have been working on getting the bike ready for next year. It is a slow process but have some new things for the bike on the horizon.

Funny story, I took the yss shocks to a suspension guy in Scottsdale. He put the shocks on his dyno and from what he figures they were sprung for a 500# rider. No wonder it was a little rough Should have that sorted out before the next race. Might even use the sl to prerun for the raceforthewounded effort in November.

-John

That sounds EPIC!!!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #291
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,224
John... the maze was good times ..good times indeed!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #292
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post

That sounds EPIC!!!
You have no idea!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #293
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Honzilla

I wanna ride it!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #294
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post

-John
Can't wait to see the next version of Honzilla!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #295
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Another good action shot of honzilla, Bob on the throttle.

-John

Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #296
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
John... the maze was good times ..good times indeed!
You coming down for 2013?

-John

Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #297
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Driver View Post
I wanna ride it!
Ed,

Everyone wants to ride that bike! The lure of the open mini megaphone straight pipe is too much to withstand.
Honzilla is a freaking blast to ride! I seriously love that bike even though the rear needed some sorting. With that fixed and a few minor tweaks Honzilla will be good to go for the 2013 Mexican 1000.

Did anyone else notice Bob's right foot in the pic? Lol

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #298
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFast View Post
Ed,

Everyone wants to ride that bike! The lure of the open mini megaphone straight pipe is too much to withstand.
Honzilla is a freaking blast to ride! I seriously love that bike even though the rear needed some sorting. With that fixed and a few minor tweaks Honzilla will be good to go for the 2013 Mexican 1000.

Did anyone else notice Bob's right foot in the pic? Lol
I do that often... mi pierna falls asleep.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #299
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Son of Honzilla

Got two new Excel rims in from Buchannon last week & ordered two Dunlaps MX's for the rear today. Locating some really firm foam for the seat as it needs a major redo. Work on the Blue Rhino also proceeds apace & she will be ready to terrify everyone again in 2013. Owens going to do a compression test on Honzilla. If OK we won't tear the motor down, just adjust the valves & change the oil with a new filter. Our magic engine paint is only good to about 300-350 degrees & it never changed color which means the motor never got hot! It should be OK!

BTW, we're building a cafe racer out of a 1976 Honda CB550. She's a real beaut. Everyone's welcome to come see- & all the other projects!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #300
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
Got two new Excel rims in from Buchannon last week & ordered two Dunlaps MX's for the rear today. Locating some really firm foam for the seat as it needs a major redo. Work on the Blue Rhino also proceeds apace & she will be ready to terrify everyone again in 2013. Owens going to do a compression test on Honzilla. If OK we won't tear the motor down, just adjust the valves & change the oil with a new filter. Our magic engine paint is only good to about 300-350 degrees & it never changed color which means the motor never got hot! It should be OK!

BTW, we're building a cafe racer out of a 1976 Honda CB550. She's a real beaut. Everyone's welcome to come see- & all the other projects!
I am with you on not tearing her down if she doesn't need it. That bike never took a drop of oil after John seated the rings on his screaming bombing run down Laguna Salada and those air filters from DT1 were totally clean inside.

But can we make it louder? Just kidding!

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote