Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #31
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
My up-and-coming favorite ADV myth is that countersteering is overexposed!

According to the MSF, bikers crashing in a corner is the most common accident that does not involve another vehicle. Furthermore, to be able to execute an efficient emergency swerve, hard countersteering is required. I would dare say one can only do this if one KNOWS what to do.

Most bikers I encounter do not have a working knowledge of how to turn their bikes. The responses I usually get to the question of how to make a turn are "I just kind of lean", and "I've been riding for years, it just happens". This never ceases to amaze me. I know once I had learned to countersteer, twisties went from a medium adrenaline rush of excitement /pucker to an unbelievable level of (almost erotic) satisfaction for actually going MUCH faster through the corners, and being able to start exploring tire and bike limits.

I don't know, methinks it is good to know how to turn one's bike....
I don't know, I think its overhyped as well. I was riding for about 10years when I first heard the term. I had a buddy who was a MSF instructor and he would yammer about countersteering all day. We went to a parking lot so he could demonstrate, then watch me try. I still didn't quite know what he was saying so I just rode as I normally do. Turns out, that's how I've always "steered." Riding two wheels since I was able to walk, I just learned what works.

ten_fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #32
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
I don't know, I think its overhyped as well. I was riding for about 10years when I first heard the term. I had a buddy who was a MSF instructor and he would yammer about countersteering all day. We went to a parking lot so he could demonstrate, then watch me try. I still didn't quite know what he was saying so I just rode as I normally do. Turns out, that's how I've always "steered." Riding two wheels since I was able to walk, I just learned what works.

i was the same i just got on my 1st bike and my dad told me ... when come to cornor dont steer with the bars if you do you will crash just lean to steer . 5years on a big bike and cornner 2up is sound
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #33
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
When all else fails, lay it down! I have had people ask me, if i ever had to 'lay it down', answer being, what the fuck for, it's got brake's
Although the back one is bit dicky on the 990adv.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #34
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Riding Myths

Loud pipes save life..what a joke.
No, proper riding techniques save lives. Most of the guys who say this expect everyone on the road to be looking out for the *cough* Harley *cough*.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #35
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Loud pipes save life..what a joke.
No, proper riding techniques save lives. Most of the guys who say this expect everyone on the road to be looking out for the *cough* Harley *cough*.
If loud pipes saved lives, then ambulances would run straight pipes instead of lights and sirens.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #36
D R
----

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The biggest myth is "Motorcycles are dangerous"

Learn to ride.
I would say that this one is not a myth. Living life is dangerous. The key is to learn to manage the associated risks. Learning to ride doesn't eliminate the danger, it just reduces the danger to a manageable level.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #37
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
When all else fails, lay it down! I have had people ask me, if i ever had to 'lay it down', answer being, what the fuck for, it's got brake's
I was showing my Hit-Air air bag vest to a Harley rider, and how the tether to the bike inflated it when the rider got launched. He asked, "So you pull that just before you lay'er down?"

Quote:
..."I just kind of lean"
Yep, and that lean transfers through their arm and pushes the bar to counter. The problem is that it's slower than an intentional, knowledgeable countersteer motion.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #38
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 775
"I've done been riding for umpteesquat yars and I ain't never heard of that thar technique. As such Ima must de-deuce that the term is some new fangled techno mumble and ah shouldn't botha to tries it out, mang. Can't teach this heah dog no new tricks, no sir-ee!" *spit-TAANNNG*

Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #39
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
I was showing my Hit-Air air bag vest to a Harley rider, and how the tether to the bike inflated it when the rider got launched. He asked, "So you pull that just before you lay'er down?"

Yep, and that lean transfers through their arm and pushes the bar to counter. The problem is that it's slower than an intentional, knowledgeable countersteer motion.
Nothing in life works that way. Any professional athlete will tell you the same. The point in which an athlete is at their most effective is when they don't need to think about what they are doing. Knowing instinctively what to do is far more effective and much faster.

ie: When walking, nobody consciously thinks about moving one leg in front of the other, and there is no way that it would be faster doing it that way.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #40
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
"I've done been riding for umpteesquat yars and I ain't never heard of that thar technique. As such Ima must de-deuce that the term is some new fangled techno mumble and ah shouldn't botha to tries it out, mang. Can't teach this heah dog no new tricks, no sir-ee!" *spit-TAANNNG*

How about this: maybe that technique is something that is learned naturally after many years of riding bikes, so breaking down the technique into words and telling people to consciously do it doesn't make sense to those who already do it instinctively.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #41
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Here's one of my pet peeve myths

1. You need a dual-sport if you are ever going to ride on a dirt/gravel road.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
If loud pipes saved lives, then ambulances would run straight pipes instead of lights and sirens.
WTF...
What do you think the purpose of the siren is! To assure the the injured inside that he/she is heading towards a hospital?

I'm not going to say loud pipes save lives cause I think if you're relying on your pipes to save your life you should be walking but....
If you think no motorist has ever heard you before they saw you, you either don't pay enough attention to your surroundings, you just started riding tonight, your sickle is electric, you're in denial or you are just plain lying to yourself.

(and by the way, I hate loud pipes on HD's or any bike. In fact I find the most annoying ones on any bikes that revs to above say 14,000 or so...)
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #43
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
How about this: maybe that technique is something that is learned naturally after many years of riding bikes, so breaking down the technique into words and telling people to consciously do it doesn't make sense to those who already do it instinctively.
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH

This is the sound of a joke flying over your head at the speed of light.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #44
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,318
"The newest BMW 1200 GS is an adventure bike"

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #45
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Great test video--love the way they really test stuff in the UK, and report on it. On the other hand, it depends on your adventure as to which bike might be best.