Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
http://hooniverse.com/2009/11/09/stolen-vw-bus-recovered-35-years-later/

At least you weren't this guy
Old 05-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
mjydrafter OP
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,971
One of my cow-orkers was telling me about his buddy that owns an independant HD shop after I told him about his bike.

A guy got a killer deal on the typical bike in boxes, some nice Harley... So he brought it in, HD guy starts lookiing it over, turns out every SN is literally gouged out.

HD guy decides, hmmm this bike is stolen, get it the fuck outta here...

Fast forward and somehow the guy must have gone to the po-po or something, anyway they figure out this bike is part of some big stolen bike ring and I think they ended up making arrests and such.

I'm not sure if it was this particular bike "that cracked the case"... you know how these types of stories are.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 300
I had a guy approach me in a store offered to sell me a "stolen" Harley that... I was wearing a nice Harley shirt that day, but not that nice. I politely declined the offer.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
mjydrafter OP
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,971
Update on the story:

So the Sheriff Dept. rolls up. Asks about the bike, wants to see it, etc. My friend showed it to them they took a bunch of pictures and told him the bike was stolen in 2008. (which we knew from the DMV)

They then asked him if it would be alright if the true owner came by that afternoon to pick it up. My friend was a bit apprehensive, didn't want to get beat-down or anything, and the deputy tells him that the original owner knows him...

So he says of course that would be okay, whatever it takes to make it right and legal. The owner comes out, and is just tickled to death that the bike was found, and it's in better working order than when it was stolen (thanks mjydafter). Even offered to pay for my repairs/work. My friend declined any compensation for my work, but did keep the stickers that we didn't get put on before this whole debacle.

So, the original owner could have pressed charges. The Sheriff could have pressed charges (if they had caught him riding it, etc.). But luckily for my friend no legal action was taken and all is smoothed over.

Hopefully, we all learned an important lesson about moto's without titles.

Yay! I love happy endings.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
yep.... mechanic's lien for the labor.... ya never know, might get something back. not your fault it's hot
Not Funny

I had a friend that had his vette stolen twice Second time legally.

It was stolen, title laundered somehow and the rich fucker that bought it customized it a lot. BTW it was 62 and ALL ORIGINAL numbers matching!.

Friend gets it back, and the rich F sues for his cost of customization. Even though it devalued the car. My friend finally gave up and signed over the title. Legal bills eating him up.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote