Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 362
maps disappearing!

Help! I am new to the Montana and GPS in general. I have the 24k topo's for the 4 corner states as well as the city navigator software. I am able to select individual topo's and send them to my unit. But later, if I send other topo's then the previous ones seem to not be available any more. Ideally I would like to have all of AZ, NM, CO, and UT loaded as this is where I play. It would be nice to know they are all just on the unit and not have to worry about making sure I loaded the maps I need for a specific area I may be visiting. Is this possible or are there memory limitations on the Montana that prevent this?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #32
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Like all Garmin's, the Montana has a limit to how many map segments can be loaded and viewed. You are exceeding the limit so when you add another map one of the first ones is no longer indexed.

Reduce the number of segments you have selected in your Four States.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #33
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Help! I am new to the Montana and GPS in general. I have the 24k topo's for the 4 corner states as well as the city navigator software. I am able to select individual topo's and send them to my unit. But later, if I send other topo's then the previous ones seem to not be available any more. Ideally I would like to have all of AZ, NM, CO, and UT loaded as this is where I play. It would be nice to know they are all just on the unit and not have to worry about making sure I loaded the maps I need for a specific area I may be visiting. Is this possible or are there memory limitations on the Montana that prevent this?
Are you using Mapsource or MapInstall to load those maps? If Mapsource, then it's probably overwriting the previous files and removing the maps. Best to use the most recent version of MapInstall. Get the Windows version here. Or the Mac version here.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #34
gregdee
Motocampist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Are you using Mapsource or MapInstall to load those maps? If Mapsource, then it's probably overwriting the previous files and removing the maps. Best to use the most recent version of MapInstall. Get the Windows version here. Or the Mac version here.
I've been using MapSource. I thought that was the tool to use. I'll look into MapInstall and see if this works better. I doesn't seem to be a memory issue; whatever I write last seems to stay but everything else is gone.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #35
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,042
passed on paying extra for camera features .. already carrying iphone and other cameras
Montana 600 for me ...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #36
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
I've been using MapSource. I thought that was the tool to use. I'll look into MapInstall and see if this works better. I doesn't seem to be a memory issue; whatever I write last seems to stay but everything else is gone.
As Emmbeedee noted, the new MapInstall will solve your problem of map over-writing. The 24K Southwest region is only 1.8GB and 1794 maps segments and all of CNNA is only 162 map segments. Well short of the Montana total segment limit of 4000 segments.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #37
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
If you prefer to continue using Mapsource, just make sure you go into the gps or sd card where you placed the map and rename it from gmapsupp.img to something else, with the extension .img. That way, when you next load maps, the new gmapsupp.img file won't overwrite the old one.

But the latest versions of MapInstall won't cause that kind of problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #38
gregdee
Motocampist

tracks from GPS to MapSource

I went on a big ride on Saturday, recorded the track on my Montana 600, and then saved it with an appropriate name. Then I went to transfer it to MapSource but the only track file that transfers is the current one which is of me walking around inside my house. How do I get all the tracks (or even just selected tracks) to transfer? I have selected all the options (maps, way points, routes, and tracks), and I tried variations of this but still I only get the current track.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #39
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I went on a big ride on Saturday, recorded the track on my Montana 600, and then saved it with an appropriate name. Then I went to transfer it to MapSource but the only track file that transfers is the current one which is of me walking around inside my house. How do I get all the tracks (or even just selected tracks) to transfer? I have selected all the options (maps, way points, routes, and tracks), and I tried variations of this but still I only get the current track.
Use Basecamp. Mapsource is for legacy units like the 60/76 etc.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #40
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Or just open the Archive folder using explorer on your computer.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
Jeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I pulled the trigger and bought a 650T! Love it and much easier for the feeble old eyes to see the screen than on the 176C that it replaced. I am perplexed when it comes to loading previous routes/tracks onto it though. With the 176C it was pretty straight forward. It would follow the route exactly as I ceated them in Mapsource. With the Montana the previous saved routes when downloaded to it do not seem to follow the roads the same. In fact it is extreemly fustrating. The previous saved routes were created with V-7 Garmin software. Is this the issue? Do I need some different software? I created a simple map of the neighborhood and downloaded it to the Montana only to have it say there were no navigable roads in the area I had created which I know is incorrect. So what am I missing here?
Jeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #42
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
I pulled the trigger and bought a 650T! Love it and much easier for the feeble old eyes to see the screen than on the 176C that it replaced. I am perplexed when it comes to loading previous routes/tracks onto it though. With the 176C it was pretty straight forward. It would follow the route exactly as I ceated them in Mapsource. With the Montana the previous saved routes when downloaded to it do not seem to follow the roads the same. In fact it is extreemly fustrating. The previous saved routes were created with V-7 Garmin software. Is this the issue? Do I need some different software? I created a simple map of the neighborhood and downloaded it to the Montana only to have it say there were no navigable roads in the area I had created which I know is incorrect. So what am I missing here?
You'd be better off asking your question in the New Garmin Montana thread.