User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #2116
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Shes home!

It was about a 30 mile jaunt home down the interstate and some backroads from the dealership, but i swear i was grinning the whole way. Im a prior GS owner and 950 owner and so far this bike is everything i wanted both of them to be. Its all of the good things about the BMW that i liked without all the retarded quirks that pissed me off... such as being able to take the seat off without breaking the key... No EWS to fail and leave me stranded (twice)... No BMW dealerships to hassle with... No stupid fuel gage that only starts showing at a half tank

Props to Bloke @ Mountain Motorsports for hooking me up with a great deal.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #2117
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
. No stupid fuel gage that only starts showing at a half tank
How far have you ridden it?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #2118
BAP
Formally FYREGUY73

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Since you started off on the right foot..

Here is some inspiration for next time you need a tire change.....

Holy shit! This video changed my opinion of this bike. I thought it wasn't capable of that crap. The rider is a crazy bitch but shit that impressed me. What's your opinion of this bike after owning one?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #2119
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
What's your opinion of this bike after owning one?
It's capable of that crap,

If I was it would be even better

It's what makes it seem a bit boring on test rides, The bike is totally bored basically

This one has an ECU flash installed, Akro can, stiffer springs and a funny seat for the desert rally's.

The guy is also a pro YAMAHA rider and is 6' 5" tall which helps.

It's a nuclear powered dirt bike basically set up a bit soft from the factory but easily fixed.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 04:21 PM
Old 06-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #2120
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
How far have you ridden it?
Please dont tell me it does the same thing??? On my 12GS the 1st half tank was represented as one big block and the 2nd half was divided into more accurate increments. This one looks divided all the way down.

*fingers crossed for sarcasm!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #2121
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Please dont tell me it does the same thing??? On my 12GS the 1st half tank was represented as one big block and the 2nd half was divided into more accurate increments. This one looks divided all the way down.

Yeah, it appears evenly divided, but the reality is more like this for me:

My first (full) block is the largest, I often get between 70 and 90 miles out of it.
The next block is only around 40-50 miles.
The third is another larger one, often 50-60 miles.
The forth is the smallest one; 35-45 miles. And I've never tapped out the empty block, but I've put 30 miles on it and still only filled up 5.1 gallons.

Total capacity from folks reportedly running out was about 5.7 gallons.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #2122
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

On mine it goes like this...

Fill to the brim (which is a bit further than the bottom of the neck). wait 160Km. then the first bar disappears.
The it ticks down fairly linearly until the F trip comes on and you have about 70Km left (all depending on how you ride of course).

And that with a theoretical max range of 450Km.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #2123
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Well, at least it gives some representation of the fuel level dropping. The GS goes from full and happy to "start looking for gas" as one tick.

Regardless, I like it better than my GS.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #2124
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahill View Post
Certainly not near as exotic as most places here but it makes a nice touring bike also.

Cherohala Skyway this past Saturday…

Those Givi cases look great on the S10. I was looking at the Corbin seat for mine as well. How do you like it?
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #2125
bahill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNut View Post
Those Givi cases look great on the S10. I was looking at the Corbin seat for mine as well. How do you like it?

Hey MudNut, and thanks!

Yea, I just came from a DL1000 a little over a month ago and the side cases were on my DL. I keep thinking about other cases but until I find something else these have worked for me for the last six years so I'll keep with them for a while.

Although the stock seat wasn't bad I find the Corbin a much better seat and can run all day. It doesn't seem to be as good as the Corbin I had on my DL though. I'm not sure what to think about that although it still needs some breaking in. I only have about 400 miles on it so far. Both seats have more "forward tilt" than I like and I jacked up the front about 3/8" temporarily this past weekend and I find it much better. Now to make it a permanent fix and I think it will work just fine for me.

bahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #2126
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Thumb Fuel Capacity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Yeah, it appears evenly divided, but the reality is more like this for me:

My first (full) block is the largest, I often get between 70 and 90 miles out of it.
The next block is only around 40-50 miles.
The third is another larger one, often 50-60 miles.
The forth is the smallest one; 35-45 miles. And I've never tapped out the empty block, but I've put 30 miles on it and still only filled up 5.1 gallons.

Total capacity from folks reportedly running out was about 5.7 gallons.

Your experience with the gauge percentage readings pretty much is how mine works, though I *NEVER* get that good a mileage (I never get 200 miles to a tank full, ever), but just for the record...

I've gone over 40 miles with the "flashing E" going several times, but you're stretching going much further than that with mine. I went 47 miles once and it began spitting, coughing, sputtering, and trying to quit. Fortunately I was able to reverse my field and get back to a close-by gas station before it lost fire in the boiler.

That time it took 5.918 gallons to fill it up. Freaked me out so bad that it got so close to Yamaha's claimed 6.0 gallon capacity that I saved the receipt! Never had a bike that got to within all but pulling a tenth of a gallon of rated capacity out of the tank.

I usually start looking for fuel when the "flashing E" starts, and have regularly put in anywhere from 5.1 to 5.7 gallons, and the only time I came close to running out where I might have stopped is the one described above, and that's in over 16,800 miles of riding in the just over 10 months I've owned it.

Just FYI... But IMHO it's a great motorcycle and the fuel gauge works far better than many a bike I've owned.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #2127
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
Holy shit! This video changed my opinion of this bike. I thought it wasn't capable of that crap. The rider is a crazy bitch but shit that impressed me. What's your opinion of this bike after owning one?
No professional riders involved here, just your regular ole dirt bags riding some OHV trails in Arkansas USA

What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #2128
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Video fest time

Trouble with this bike is that exploring its limits can result in some serious carnage if it all comes undone.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #2129
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
I've gone over 40 miles with the "flashing E" going several times, but you're stretching going much further than that with mine. I went 47 miles once and it began spitting, coughing, sputtering, and trying to quit.
This may be the subject of a lifetime for the Tenere. We all know the reserve warning light comes on really early and we have all ridden many miles (kilometers) after it turned on.

I have ridden 92km (57 Miles) after the empty warning light turned on, I arrived at a gas station and filled up. I had the highest gas bill I have ever had.

How fast were you going before running dry 75km later?

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #2130
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Laugh 47 miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
This may be the subject of a lifetime for the Tenere. We all know the reserve warning light comes on really early and we have all ridden many miles (kilometers) after it turned on.

I have ridden 92km (57 Miles) after the empty warning light turned on, I arrived at a gas station and filled up. I had the highest gas bill I have ever had.

How fast were you going before running dry 75km later?

I was on one of my regularly daily commuting runs across the bay, running on the freeway 75-80 MPH. I had left my house with it already flashing the the "E" and already well into the "F-Countdown" odometer. It's 26 miles from my house to the the property I was going to, with a local gas station there just down the street. As I said, I already had about 30 miles showing on the "F-Countdown" odo when I left, I thought I could roll past 50+ miles...

But I couldn't.

Just past halfway over there, on the freeway, it started sputtering, etc. I bailed off the next off-ramp and caught the next u-turn, but then it really started missing and losing power, and I actually bailed off, over the grass downhill on the side of the freeway I was backtracking. I got on the access road and barely made it into a fuel station about a 1/2-mile down the road. Those last couple of miles getting to that station the best speed I could muster was about 45 MPH. The "F-Countdown" showed 47 miles when I filled up with 5.918 gallons.

It may be important to note that I ride literally all the time with my Yamaha side cases on the bike and that I have a Parabellum "medium" windscreen mounted. Also that I live in South Texas where most of the highways and freeways are marked with a 70 MPH speed limit, and you can regularly cruise 80 MPH without a problem. Many of our highways out of towns are marked with 75 MPH limits, and literally everybody runs at 85 MPH on those...

Out in West Texas the highways are marked with 80 MPH limits, and later this year we'll have a bunch marked with 85 MPH speed limits. One of the reasons I just *LOVE* Texas!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote