Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #46
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
the online version seems down and quite a few people complaining about the general organisation so far.

I think this is only to be expected and we should all realise that this is being run on public roads, in a country that only recently opened up and ofcourse is not on par with some 'western' countries. This all should make for a more pleasant rallye all together is you ask me Fancy hotels and full support are for lazy rallye riders

Only 135km's today, so an easy ride I assume!
fully agree, its a great adventure ride / casual nav ride, but its not a rally competition race event thats all, as long as people know that and go in eyes open all is good

the public road thing is pretty scary at times, I missed being a hood ornament on a Albanian army 4x4 @ 80kph by about 30cm last year, closest near miss in over 20 years
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #47
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
fully agree, its a great adventure ride / casual nav ride, but its not a rally competition race event thats all, as long as people know that and go in eyes open all is good

the public road thing is pretty scary at times, I missed being a hood ornament on a Albanian army 4x4 @ 80kph by about 30cm last year, closest near miss in over 20 years
I do hope people keep that in mind!! To finish first, first you need to finish...

Many crashes have happened so far and I know of 2 people that got away with collisions yesterday and on monday.., Close calls indeed.

Sardinia this year for you?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #48
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
I
Sardinia this year for you?
no sadly, love to do it again though, top class rally race event

Merzouga Rally in Morocco this November is next overseas one for me
Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #49
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
no sadly, love to do it again though, top class rally race event

Merzouga Rally in Morocco this November is next overseas one for me
Fancy fancy :) Still trying to find enough time off for work to do some riding before the safari... Ah well, we'll just have to manage.

In the mean time, Marcel Vermeij posted some sweet shots of stage 3, only 135km of my kinda Rallye, more enduro then full bore through the terrain, instead technical skills are in need;

http://www.rallymaniacs.nl/index.php...euws&Itemid=63
Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #50
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Good luck

Good to see you back at it. I still have not unpacked from the EVIA rally. I need to get my head right and get back on the bike. Be safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Just got an email confirming my entry looks like there's no turning back now.
Number 232 it is then...

Anybody have more info on this:
The*Time Transponder*and*GPS Unit*will function with 12 Volt from vehicle battery.

- One Red/Black cable MUST go from battery poles to the handlebar, (with 30 cm spare),*firmly*connected*directly to the battery and with NO switch or fuse on it's way.*
- One horizontal flat space (minimum 25mm x 35mm) in the cockpit have to be free for mounting the*Unit*antenna.
-*Time*Transponder Unit*size is (70mm x 50mm x 25mm). It will be mounted on the cockpit or in the handlebar. Please take all the*necessary measures to make this space available, for the*installation*to be as easy as possible.*

I am thinking of getting a few clamps and a flat piece of sheet metal on the handle bar.
Good to see you back at it. I still have not unpacked from the EVIA rally. I need to grt my head right and get back on the bike. Be safe!

Will heavy duty double sided tape or Velcro hold the transponder or should I pack a drill with nuts & bolts?
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #51
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quick update while I steal wifi on the rest day...rally is amazing!

I'm out of contention after bike died on the first special of stage 2, 27 kms before the finish, sweeper truck picked me up at 11pm after spending 12 hours on the mountain, lit a fire to keep warm and dry my gear
Started stage 3 5th from last, came in 16th I think, was agreat day though the specials are too short to make up any time

Yesterday stage 4 was 350kms with two specials of around 50 each, the last liaison took us through some of the most stunning scenery and enjoyable riding I have ever done. Having a blast!
Road traffic is freaky, need to be at 100% constantly, the second liaison yesterday of a 100 kms was especially tiresome, all twisty asphalt blind corners, crap road surface, arrived at second special with no time to regain my energy as the Roadbook had an error which sent about 70 bikes going to and fro searching for the start

Today is rest day, I have popped up to Tirana to pick up my emergency passport and taking the bus down to the bivvy again in an hour (6 hour ride, don't ask). Met with Marcel, really cool guy and chatted about him possibly making it to Serres in late August

Last stage tomorrow, gonna take it easy as the bike is starting to complain (and my body is killing me). The terrain is mostly enduro style tracks, I feel really sorry for the cars, but navigation is quite easy... No major fuck ups on my part except yesterday when going off up a river to test my hard enduro skills. Fell twice, banged up my ribs and right shoulder but a swim in the sea should set things right this afternoon...

Some pics after I get back on sunday
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #52
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Good to see you back at it. I still have not unpacked from the EVIA rally. I need to get my head right and get back on the bike. Be safe!

You need to add this one to your list, but maybe after a few easier events, and make sure you subscribe to a support package!

Riding all day in 35 degree heat and then looking after the bike is really taking its toll...

Watcha doing late August? The Dutch are probably gonna prepare a package for Serres
Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #53
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 967
Overall standings so far
http://www.rallymaniacs.nl/images/st...erallbikes.pdf

not many Italians this year, but doing fine
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #54
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 967
Final results available
http://www.rallyalbania.org/ra_12/re...final_moto.pdf

Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #55
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
This was the toughest thing I ever did. Long days on the bike (12+ hrs) with very little sleep (<4hrs) is killing you. The terrain was amazing and only friendly people and smiling children. I received a 3rd price for the M2 class but my standing was 4th . Overall a nice 13th position.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H6Z1...layer_embedded
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #56
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Agreed., same here... tough in the sense that at least half the course was more akin to enduro riding than flat out rally terrain, long long days (the last day was brutal, riders with only 4 hours sleep and the 170km liaison in the morning was torture. Especially around 7-8 o clock when all the local drivers started rushing off to work)...

Our Greek team suffered: broken fingers (Vassilis, #259 who was going for a top 5 position), a 10 minute concussion from crashing (Polytimi, #261 overall womens winner), and cracked ribs (both Polytimi and me). I guess I was lucky in a sense when my bike failed me a second time before the first special of the last day, I'm pretty sure the exhaustion from lack of sleep, my cracked rib from day 3 and the heat would have led me to a silly (or serious) mistake

After my support truck picked me up from the liaison, we went to the service park at km 280, it was carnage... bikes missing bits, injured riders laying own in the shade, people with blank stares wondering whether they would make it to the finish. Not to mention the poor Swede lying in the side of the road in the morning suffering from allergic shock

In other words, we're already making plans for next year
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #57
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is my report, Google translate because I am lazy (or still lacking energy after this rally)

Day -2:Tirana

Arrival at airport, taxi for 20 euros but it appears it is per car and not for all of us. Then back to the black taxi for 25 euros with 6 men. The driver becomes completely hyper because of large number of possible rides. Exploring Tirana in the evening and dinner with 8 man.

Day -1: Inspection and paperwork

In the sun waiting for the -not so efficient way- of paper check. Then wait for the technical inspection. Best remark of Etvin (organizer): The most important thing today is: Take it easy! Inspection is nothing: nice bike, is okay. Just for fun I let them hear my horn that works well and I get a tick at my name. Later it turns out that the other inspectors were more accurate. boring work is finish, lets start.

GezwindeSpoed screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 11:44 PM
GezwindeSpoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #58
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 0: The Prologue

Show start by going down a stairs and making a wheelie for the photographers. Then Tirana and soon begins gravel along a beautiful dam and waterfall. On the beach waiting till the prologue begins. After 20 men have started,I decided togo to the start of the prologue. After some tactical elbow work I can start on the 7 km beach. I start in 3rd and with little effort I get to good speed. The I think that my steering damper must be tighter and with one hand on the bar I tighten the demper. Then the throttle open except for a few points with lots of rubbish washed up. Towards the end my arms begin to sour considerably, but the adrenaline works well enough until the end to maintain. Then the last piece liaison on asphalt, but as shown later in the week to drive themselves on asphalt show anything but boring because of the landscape but also other road users or obstacles. The bivouac quite high in the mountains, so finally some freshness after a sweaty day. Motor maintenance is not much work so finished quickly.

9th time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTewvydzjpY#ws]Albania Rally 2012 Day 0.avi

Day 1: The first real day

The special begins 50 km from the bivouac. The test is easy to navigate on a main path through beautiful scenery with impressive canyons, rivers and high mountain peaks. I drive fairly relaxed to get used to everything and certainly the amount of stones under my tires popping by. I hear a few times for my rim tripping on the stones so do a little easier because I do not want to flat tires. Tonight I will put in more air in the tires. No errors in navigation and maintenance with no crashes so quick. Inflate the front tire to 1.5 bar instead of 1.2. In the rear tire I have mousse.

41st time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AbArmJKD3U#ws
Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #59
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Cool review and videos, keep it coming!

Man I have so many thoughts/experiences/stories from the Rally I am struggling on where to even begin,
our adventures started Friday night before the prologue a t the border crossing ha ha

All in all I was amazed at the level of the Rally, the competition, the stunning terrain.

In brief, the navigator of the winner of the C2 car class who has been racing the rally for 5 years told me that this year's effort was a huge step forward in all aspects: organization, difficulty, level of competition.

Already making plans to go back next year, even if it's the only rally I do in '13, it was simply fantastic
Old 06-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #60
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2: The longest day of the rally

430 km with a special of 120 and 60 km. In the first special, I fight with the front of my bike. Lack of grip and confidence quickly led to the first crash on a bridge lined with shelves I touch the board and slide so undermine. Steering bar is crooked and my road book support has had a hit, no real damage it looks. I'm not riding comfortably and make a navigational error by missing a turn. I discover this error only 5 km further on. Drive back and see many people who mistake ridden. After some searching I came across a group of 6 who eventually find the power house where the route goes along. In the bustle of the many drivers I shove a 2nd time undermine a sharp turn downward. Again I seem to have no damage and decide that today is not going to be my day so I'll have to slow down, today is my goal becomes to reach the finish without further damage. After the many stones we arrive in one piece with lots of mud and deep ruts. I put my bike down for the 3rd time. My helmet camera then dangles the safety cord and I put in my pocket. A 4th crash in a muddy shore is my camera too much. The lens hits something hard (probably a stone ;)) and breaks. Later it appears to be the protecting glass and not the lens itself. I do not crash more so decided to spend the rest of the trial but to sit on what works well. But I see my road book danced before my eyes. After a few flashes in my eyes really shows that it is not up to me, but something is wrong in the bracket. Several times to stop but can not find anything, 20 km later the whole thing rattles loose. I want to go cursing at my mechanic but because I did not I decide the whole thing with duct tape and ti-rips in place. I drive out the test without further crashes or errors in navigation. I let some air out of my front tire then equal more confidence. Then a long liaison through beautiful countryside. I drive 100km thick with open mouth, Albania is a wonderful country

The 2nd special is shorter and I am in much better mood than on the 1st one, more confidence in the front and navigating is no problem. With Diederik I drive the last stretch to the finish on the road. we have to stop a few time to save my road book and mount with rope and tape residue. Tired but satisfied we finish the day successful. I have a lot of wrenching to do. The roadbook support version 3 should be replaced by version 2 which has survived a rally. Furthermore, both fork seals leak so my front brake became greasy, and then the normal maintenance. Fortunately, we have to start late tomorrow so there is still time in the morning.

38th time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H6Z13q-I_U#ws