Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #5086
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
nice!
Thanks!
Had to be Practical w/ this purchase, so I passed up the 60's Chevys, the 70's Dodges, the 80's 4WD Ford....

I'm proud of my Self Control!

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #5087
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
1 yr of wanting, followed by 6 Months of looking ended with THIS...

2001. 5.7, 3.42 "locking" diff, Tow Package, and 9-yards worth of other options. Damn near EXACTLY want I wanted.
Didn't care about Brand. I've owned all of the Big 3, and they all have their +/-'s. Actually would have liked a MO Emissions Exempt example (Over 8500lb GVW or pre-'96) but the 3/4 tons all had lower gearing, and every '95-and-older one I looked at was not in as good a shape as I would have liked. Not to mention the fact that these type of vans are HARD to find! Seems like "Conversion Vans" have taken all the customers away from the Passenger market. And I didn't want an Extended van, so that excluded most of the Passenger Vans out there.

It's a good "10 Footer"

Nice find. Took me a long time to find my 05 Chevy too, they do seem to be hard to come by in nice shape. Wish mine was set up for second row buckets and had the locker but I wasn't gonna wait any longer.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #5088
marty_uiuc
moran

Oddometer: 252
well the express van made it from IL to NV without much to complain about. The temperature gauge did tend to creep up a bit during some of the mountain driving, but opening the windows and turning the heater on for a little bit kept it from becoming an issue. The temperature would always drop while running downhill so I don't think anything is really amiss. I think we were towing close to 7000lb and had about 1000lb of payload in the van, so I'm willing to forgive a bit of crankyness from the vehicle when it was under some stress. Fuel mileage ranged from a high of about 11 to a low of just over 8. Our net gain in altitude was about 4000ft and the whole time we had head and/or side winds, sometimes approaching 50mph through some of the mountain passes.

This picture is from the last leg of the 3 day journey, at bonneville. I probably should have used a weight distribution hitch, but as infrequently as i'll be towing that much weight i felt that it maybe wasn't absolutely required.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #5089
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,848
Party bus:

If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #5090
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_uiuc View Post
well the express van made it from IL to NV without much to complain about. The temperature gauge did tend to creep up a bit during some of the mountain driving, but opening the windows and turning the heater on for a little bit kept it from becoming an issue. The temperature would always drop while running downhill so I don't think anything is really amiss. I think we were towing close to 7000lb and had about 1000lb of payload in the van, so I'm willing to forgive a bit of crankyness from the vehicle when it was under some stress. Fuel mileage ranged from a high of about 11 to a low of just over 8. Our net gain in altitude was about 4000ft and the whole time we had head and/or side winds, sometimes approaching 50mph through some of the mountain passes.

This picture is from the last leg of the 3 day journey, at bonneville. I probably should have used a weight distribution hitch, but as infrequently as i'll be towing that much weight i felt that it maybe wasn't absolutely required.

A properly setup weight distribution hitch is well worth it.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #5091
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Nice find. Took me a long time to find my 05 Chevy too, they do seem to be hard to come by in nice shape. Wish mine was set up for second row buckets and had the locker but I wasn't gonna wait any longer.
Especially hard to find a Nice One with my $5000 budget.

You might be able to add the 2nd row seats if you can find the receivers & seats in the junkyard. I would imagine that the receiver mount points are built into every configuration, even the cargo vans, due to part standardization. Those receivers are probably bolted in to their mount points not welded (has to pass a high-g Crash Test w/ that seat configuration, to meet safety standards). I'll crawl under & look at mine in the next couple of days & report back

And as I said earlier, they make Great tie-down points. It would be cool if Chevy cargo-van people could add them w/o a lot of work.

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #5092
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,961
Saw this parked at church one day. I wanted to talk to the owner about it, but when we came back outside it was gone. I have passed this van while on my bicycle and the sound its makes justifies the Cummins emblem.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #5093
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
Especially hard to find a Nice One with my $5000 budget.

You might be able to add the 2nd row seats if you can find the receivers & seats in the junkyard. I would imagine that the receiver mount points are built into every configuration, even the cargo vans, due to part standardization. Those receivers are probably bolted in to their mount points not welded (has to pass a high-g Crash Test w/ that seat configuration, to meet safety standards). I'll crawl under & look at mine in the next couple of days & report back

And as I said earlier, they make Great tie-down points. It would be cool if Chevy cargo-van people could add them w/o a lot of work.

Otis
I paid $10,700 for my 05 with 62k, anything cheaper seemed to be a clapped out work van and on the other end seemed to be $20-25k newer stuff that was way out of my range. I have 2nd and 3rd row bench seats but only keep the second row in. I've looked under the van and it looks like theres a giant heat shield or something that stretches almost the entire length so no easy access there. Haven't pulled back the carpet to see what it looks like from the top. I want to get rid of the carpet and get a bed rug or similar, easier to clean , water proof etc. And yes the seat mounts are great for tie down points, I've used them many times in the year I've owned it. Good luck with yours, really a nice score.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #5094
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Available on CL locally ... What? It is a van!

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #5095
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
Available on CL locally ... What? It is a van!

Morris minor van ..... go buy it you will love driving it...

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #5096
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,848
Cool oil painting collection, he has more posted here -

http://kevincyr.net/index.php?/ongoing/van-series/

If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #5097
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,517
that's kind of refreshing.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #5098
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
A van... sort of...

This Multipla is one of the few (mini)vans that force me to think- do they come or do they go...

just another angle, liked the weathered leather case on the roof.

PS. sorry for the small size, have to figure out why the pics are uploaded so small... damn Photobucket...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #5099
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypumpkin View Post

Very cool work and website!! As an artist myself, I really enjoy this guy's work!!
Thanx for the linky!!

oh...you wanna see a BITCHIN' Morris Minor Woodie??

...my friend Dave Smith (a gold leaf artist from the UK) drives this for a shop truck!!!!

Wish I had more pics to show you...his work is off the charts!

www.artworks-unlimited.com

Patrick46 screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 03:39 PM Reason: fine tuning
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #5100
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,520
Wow! Excellent!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: