ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #6016
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 143
Off Topic:

I've been thrown an unexpected curveball and I need to find a place to rent asap. I'd prefer somewhere on the westside, or possibly somewhere in west SFV. This would likely be short term-- one to four months. I have no problem paying bills, am a relatively quiet person (except maybe when coming and going on my FMF full exhausted xr600r), and I'd be happy to buy you a twelve-pack of your favorite beer if you can point me in the direction of a place that works out. So, yeah, let me know if you have or know someone who has an apartment share/guesthouse/sublet for rent.
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #6017
Buster714
instant human
 
Buster714's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 552
Paddle Tire on a F800GS

__________________
Aram :: SoloMotoParts.com :: Motorcycle Parts, Gear, and Accessories
Price Matching / Free Shipping / Hassle-Free Returns / Friendly Customer Service
Leatt 3DF Airfit Protector :: Rekluse Core EXP Video :: Klim Badlands Suit :: Facebook :: Spot
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #6018
fudgypup
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Finally they are doing it right, an off-road test for Adventure bikes. And this is what it looks like



Reason #237 to fall in love with KTM990
at 8:20 he says the "traction control just kicked in even though we turned it off." They probably picked the "S" mode which is like halfway between traction control and no traction control. Had they picked the other one marked by a delta sign, it would have been off completely. They just weren't as familiar as they could have been.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #6019
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
at 8:20 he says the "traction control just kicked in even though we turned it off." They probably picked the "S" mode which is like halfway between traction control and no traction control. Had they picked the other one marked by a delta sign, it would have been off completely. They just weren't as familiar as they could have been.
Yes, I must agree. These industry guys who make a living riding motorcycles and generally making it their business to know most everything about the bikes they ride, must've just been doing it wrong.

I think the better reason would be that the traction control just malfunctioned.
notmybikemodelname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #6020
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Yes, I must agree. These industry guys who make a living riding motorcycles and generally making it their business to know most everything about the bikes they ride, must've just been doing it wrong.

I think the better reason would be that the traction control just malfunctioned.
c'mon man, fudgepacker just got back to adv and on his time off, expanded his knowledge on all bikes and riding in Baja and filmmaking.
give em a break, will ya.
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #6021
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
c'mon man, fudgepacker just got back to adv and on his time off, expanded his knowledge on all bikes and riding in Baja and filmmaking.
give em a break, will ya.

But Dude, I was totally agreeing with him..............Totally. After all, he is ADV's honorary renaissance man.
notmybikemodelname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #6022
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,489
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #6023
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic
 
Fishyhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Oddometer: 3,112
Talk about an adventure rider!

__________________
Duy. You know, like the decimal system.
Spot shared page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...FogjjtYMdOqF2n
Fishyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #6024
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Yes, I must agree. These industry guys who make a living riding motorcycles and generally making it their business to know most everything about the bikes they ride, must've just been doing it wrong.

I think the better reason would be that the traction control just malfunctioned.
I'm still confused as to how they overheated a GSA in the cold and rain of the UK? I stuck mine in the sand outside Lost Wages on a 100 degree day and hammered it hard to get it out for 30 minutes without overheating the bike.

Not a good sign that they destroyed the Yamaha on day 1 due to no skid plate.

From what I've seen of the remnants of "free test bikes" they beat them but never check the oil or make sure everything is tightened down before/during riding them (or telling the supplier what they did to it), so having any system malfunction during a magazine review should be expected, along with the majority of new owners never having the same problem.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #6025
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
....From what I've seen of the remnants of "free test bikes" they beat them but never check the oil or make sure everything is tightened down before/during riding them (or telling the supplier what they did to it), so having any system malfunction during a magazine review should be expected, along with the majority of new owners never having the same problem.
OK, so let me get this straight, Tim. What you're saying is that it is normal to get a brand new bike and then have to check all of the fluid levels and tighten everything down before you go out and "beat" it ?

If this is the case, then what you're also saying is that the "build" quality of the bike has nothing to do with it's reliability, only the maintenance and preparation has to do with how reliable it is?? .................and, that by telling the supplier what they did to the bike would've made the bike more reliable???

Finally, if the "new owners" tell the suppliers what they are going to do to the bike, and check all fluids and tighten down everything, they will most likely have no problems with the bike.

Here's my take on it. The testers did exactly what "most" new owners of bikes like that would do. After all, "most" new owners of this type of bike have bought it as their first Adventure bike after watching the Long Way Around or some other mid-life crisis flick of wanderlust. This type of rider flogs the shit out of a bike and has no clue how to take care of it, or fix it in the field. Shit, most of them have no clue how to change a flat if they have one. They treated the bike exactly as it would be in most cases, but the majority of the people who ride them and then sell them only a short time later because it's too much bike for what they actually want to do. And I mean this in the technical and weight sense, not the performance sense. This type of rider also never accels as a rider in the dirt because this type of bike is designed to ride highways and get onto a fire road or maybe a two track occasionally.

However, The minority owner of this type of bike, meaning the people who have been riding dirt bikes for years, could maintain this bike in the field and most likely ride it beyond it's performance level. In this case, it truly doesn't make any difference what the bike is, because it boils down to 95% rider and 5% bike. However, the smart choice for an experienced dirt rider would always be the KTM 950/990 series as the suspension is way better, the motor and transmission are geared for a higher % of dirt riding and KTM has way more experience with performance Adventure bikes.
notmybikemodelname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #6026
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 2,939
Rob - I'm assuming that the test bikes have probably been beaten by someone else prior to these guys getting them.

You are right, it is the monkey, not the banana, when it comes to getting a bike through some hard sections. Mud, on any of those bikes, isn't going to be a fun ride.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #6027
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Rob - I'm assuming that the test bikes have probably been beaten by someone else prior to these guys getting them.

You are right, it is the monkey, not the banana, when it comes to getting a bike through some hard sections. Mud, on any of those bikes, isn't going to be a fun ride.
Ok, now we're getting into a completely different subject. By "Monkey", I assume you mean, female. And by "banana", I assume you mean penis. Then you also mention hard sections and mud, then you say "isn't going to be a fun ride". So are you saying that you don't like anal sex with women?
notmybikemodelname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #6028
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Ok, now we're getting into a completely different subject. By "Monkey", I assume you mean, female. And by "banana", I assume you mean penis. Then you also mention hard sections and mud, then you say "isn't going to be a fun ride". So are you saying that you don't like anal sex with women?

Rob - I didn't know you had advanced degrees in literature to be able to see through my thinly veiled cry for help.

Or you made it to the office and the first 6 pack of Jim's homebrew is down your gullet.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #6029
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Rob - I didn't know you had advanced degrees in literature to be able to see through my thinly veiled cry for help.

Or you made it to the office and the first 6 pack of Jim's homebrew is down your gullet.
That's what four years of philosphy classes including symbolic logic and critical thinking at UCLA taught me. Money well spent, wouldn't you say?

Oh yeah, and I'm on my third beer already and second shot of Glenlivet, sitting in my office listening to Flogging Molly, Sham 69 and the Pogues.

It's Friday, don't you know?
notmybikemodelname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #6030
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
That's what four years of philosphy classes including symbolic logic and critical thinking at UCLA taught me. Money well spent, wouldn't you say?

Oh yeah, and I'm on my third beer already and second shot of Glenlivet, sitting in my office listening to Flogging Molly, Sham 69 and the Pogues.

It's Friday, don't you know?
I'm 2 cups of tea into a final report for GE, listening to The Streetdogs and Dead Sara.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014