Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #2386
YamahaTN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Got a fan kit install question and trying to search for anything on this site is hopeless......always get error messages. I am not readily seeing the connectors for the fan or the sensor. Can anyone who has installed one point me in the right direction?
YamahaTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #2387
YamahaTN
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaTN View Post
Got a fan kit install question and trying to search for anything on this site is hopeless......always get error messages. I am not readily seeing the connectors for the fan or the sensor. Can anyone who has installed one point me in the right direction?
Nevermind..........I found it. Good thing there is not a rattlesnake lose in this bike.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #2388
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaTN View Post
Nevermind..........I found it. Good thing there is not a rattlesnake lose in this bike.
Where was it hiding ?
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #2389
YamahaTN
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobbiethrower View Post
Where was it hiding ?
We at one point it was hiding in my hand. I had hold of the dumb thing and thought it was the wrong cable.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #2390
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,177
anyone make an aluminum pipe guard for the exhaust... The enduro engineering carbon fiber one just isnt going to last the way I ride
Old 06-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #2391
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Pipe guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
anyone make an aluminum pipe guard for the exhaust... The enduro engineering carbon fiber one just isnt going to last the way I ride
Try here
http://www.flatlandracing.com/Mercha...rg+Pipe+Guards
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #2392
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Product testing

Took my 390 out this weekend and really put it through it's paces in a 2-day ride in Eastern WA. All kinds of mud, rocks, logs, etc.

Overall I like all the recent items installed, the BRP bar shock absorber, Scotts stabilizer, and tool tube.

I did at least 100 miles of rough rocky mountain road riding at a fast pace and quite a bit of rocky single trail I really think the BRP made my hands and wrists tolerate it much better. In fact they felt great afterwards, unusual after so much rock riding.

The Scotts I'm pretty sure saved a few endos when I cross-rutted and hit hidden road deflectors at higher speeds. A couple I was sure I would have gone down with the super quick steering of the FE Bergs, but the stabilizer "caught" the snap. For higher speed rutted dirt/mud/sand road riding I cranked up the Low speed and it made the ride more confidence inspiring. On super tight narrow single trails, I turned Low speed almost off so I could turn quickly as easily as OEM, but the High speed circuit is always active and catches the major deflections. I like it!

The tool tube put up with quite a few dirt naps and hard knocks and no problems with it.

T63 front tire sucked on long steep slippery clay muddy downhills when the front tire packed up and turned into a slick. The rear T63 did a lot better and decent traction in all situations. I really think a rear trials tire would have turned unto a slick right away on some of the long up and down muddy single trail. The guys with the gnarliest knobbies were having the easiest time. Still I made it everywhere on the T63's, including some really tough hillclimbs, just had to slow down of the scary slippery single-trail or I could slide right through corners into trees. Most of the traction was perfect, only the wet areas were spooky.

Finally, blasting through some dry paved deserted canyon road twisties on the way out at 80+ speeds in places, on the last day, the T63's handled quite well.

That's my .02 and I'm sticking to it.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #2393
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post

Awesome picture Cyborg! I followed Hayduke's and Ned's recommendation of the Bridgestone M403 front tire, and it's been really great, and so far, lasts me a long time. I have a rear M404 on the rack, but I'm busy wearing out another tire. I don't generally fuss about rear tires, especially with my limited experience, but my last front tire (Kenda Carlsbad) was so miserable, that I had to try another one. Happy so far.

Nice work on the headlight.

Happy trails Cy
Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #2394
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Took my 390 out this weekend and really put it through it's paces in a 2-day ride in Eastern WA. All kinds of mud, rocks, logs, etc.
Nice ride Cyborg!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #2395
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Awesome picture Cyborg! I followed Hayduke's and Ned's recommendation of the Bridgestone M403 front tire, and it's been really great, and so far, lasts me a long time. I have a rear M404 on the rack, but I'm busy wearing out another tire. I don't generally fuss about rear tires, especially with my limited experience, but my last front tire (Kenda Carlsbad) was so miserable, that I had to try another one. Happy so far.
Thanks B-Rod and GGS. On the Bridgestone M403/M404 I think those are pretty close to the OEM tires mine came with, Bridgestone M59/M402, which are Intermediate terrain Motocross tires and not DOT. They are awesome offroad, but really scary on pavement and since I wanted to honestly dual-sport mine in all weather, I didn't like riding spooked on the squirrely motocross tires on pavement, especially when raining. If all I did was trailride my Berg I'd have good knobs on it all the time. DOT tires get much better mileage when dual-sporting too. There never seems to be a perfect compromise, but the T63's have come close in all but the worst sticky mud. The eternal tire search continues.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #2396
bigberger
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Subscribed! Will take a few days to learn all these tricks.
bigberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #2397
JayG
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cyborg,

Thanks for the report on the BRP rubber submount.
You ride some beautiful country.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #2398
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
- radiator fan.- installed today
- engine ice instead of stock coolant (these two solved my overheat issues to date). installed today
- bigger rear sprocket installed 50 T rear and 13T front today
- make sure the fuel pump is the "new" version or it will fail (eventually). rolling the dice-dealer stated it had the new pump in it...
- optionally replace the bash plate (the stock one is actually pretty good).installed P3 skid plate today
- barkbusters/hand guards.installed HDB guards today
- optional map switch (i haven't found a need).installed TT map switch today
- pull the rear tail pipe screen (this will open it up enough so that it's better all around).completed today, have a wings slip on enroute
- optionally remove the smog gear (mine is still there) but everyone else seems to have done pulled theirs. completed the smog removal today, including plugging the small brass vent near intake
- plug the crankcase vent thingy (that stupid contraption will snap off, damhik). goes with the above item. done
- ride the shit out of it. it is possibly the most fun bike ever.
haven't done this yet!

Also Took tank off and lined underneath with heat reflective tape.BPR rad and rear disk guards too...ready to roost.
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #2399
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Thanks B-Rod and GGS. On the Bridgestone M403/M404 I think those are pretty close to the OEM tires mine came with, Bridgestone M59/M402, which are Intermediate terrain Motocross tires and not DOT. They are awesome offroad, but really scary on pavement and since I wanted to honestly dual-sport mine in all weather, I didn't like riding spooked on the squirrely motocross tires on pavement, especially when raining. If all I did was trailride my Berg I'd have good knobs on it all the time. DOT tires get much better mileage when dual-sporting too. There never seems to be a perfect compromise, but the T63's have come close in all but the worst sticky mud. The eternal tire search continues.
I don't want to turn this into a tire thread but I share your opinion on the T63s. Great on the street (wet or dry), rear is pretty good in the dirt, front is not so good in the dirt. You might give the front Pirelli Scorpion Rally a try. Surprisingly given the tread, it sticks to tarmac as well and lasts as long as the T63 but really hooks up well in the dirt.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #2400
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
I don't want to turn this into a tire thread but I share your opinion on the T63s. Great on the street (wet or dry), rear is pretty good in the dirt, front is not so good in the dirt. You might give the front Pirelli Scorpion Rally a try. Surprisingly given the tread, it sticks to tarmac as well and lasts as long as the T63 but really hooks up well in the dirt.
Well tires are a big part of riding so I think it's OK to ramble a bit on them once in while

I was in fact considering Pirelli Scorpion Rally front but the symmetrical engineer part of me doesn't like to mix brands, probably silly, so I just may try that combo soon. I like the T63 rear pattern (same as the Dakar rated Mich Desert but one less ply) and the Scorpion Rally front looks a LOT like the Michelin Desert front, but lighter and less expensive.