Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
An interesting possibility is the ferry Livorno-Barcelona of Grimaldi Lines http://www.grimaldilines.com/
This can be taken into consideration, thanks. But the thing is that we aren't sure when exactly will be there and the ferry has to be reserved like few weeks in advance.
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
...Carcassonne -> Mazamet ->St Pons Thomieres -> Bèdarieux -> Lodeve -> Le Vigan -> Florac -> Le Pont de Montvert -> Gorges de l'Ardeche -> Orange......
And maybe a short detour from Lodeve to ride this:

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjackson View Post
I have done this a few times as was living near Olot for 3 months and also did a loop from Avignon down to Italy and back. So have some good experience of the area.

I think that if you have time you should loop around the headland down in Spain and check out Cadaques - the birthplace of the Pyrenees, google Cadaques, very nice place. You could cut through Figueres - another nice spot and the head out to the bay of rosses and follow the coast around Rosses to Cadaques - NICE riding!

If you needed to sacrifice some riding you could avoid crossing over into France up above Ripoll and instead cut down to Oix and Castelfollit de la roca like this - here

Between Perpignan and Arles I would just crank out the Autoroute - it will only cost around 15 euro and that inland area in France I don't think there is really all that much to see there.

Where you are taking Arles and then cutting up across Aix-en-Provence. It is nice to maybe head a little further north to Cavaillon>Apt>Manosque and then head to Castellane. Castellane is nice, if you check out my ride report below I have some pics. You already plan on going there... plenty of hairpin turns on the downhill into Castellane
Thanks, Jetjackson. I'll follow your advice on going thru Rosses cost in Spain.
Love your vid and report!!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #19
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
And maybe a short detour from Lodeve to ride this:

Ah damn, I totally forgot about this when I went through France, will have one more chance when I head back through in late Sept.

As for OP, Mate, we just went from Sarajevo-Zabljak-Kotor over the past 2 days and it was phenomenal riding, don't miss it if you get a chance. Especially coming down into Kotor.

Link us the ride report in this thread when you do it up hey :) Cheers for the comments on the blog, appreciated. When in Catalan, try the Catilan Botifarra sausage, also make sure you try Jamon, the way the Spanish eat it, also try Ratafia - it's like an after dinner shot, a digestiv. They also eat squid for breakfast so try that if you get a chance.

There is the best Paella in Spain just near there, I cant remember the name of the restaurant but I have emailed my mate and asked him to remind me. Not that expensive either, maybe 20 euro each, but if you are going to eat Paella this is the place.

In Catalan eveyone says Deo as in good bye, like Day-oh, they get a real kick out of it when a foreigner starts saying it.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Just got an email back from my mate,

Restaurante Casa Pilar (only open weekends) in Cadaquez - best Paella in Spain!

If that isn't open you could try Cala d'or in Cadaquez also.

There is also Meson del Conde in Sant Marti De Empuries - this is before the bay of Rosses on the cost. They have great Paella too, right near the beach. Quaint little spanish villages all the way through there.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, I love good Paella...:) Thanks lot. will try it out up there. .

"As for OP, Mate, we just went from Sarajevo-Zabljak-Kotor over the past 2 days and it was phenomenal riding, don't miss it if you get a chance. Especially coming down into Kotor."

This is what we planning on doing too. From Sarajevo to take rt 18 to MN then E762 thru Niksic to Kotor. Let me know which way you think is better.
Thanks mate.

2WheelieADV screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 07:46 AM
Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #22
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah we took the 762, also the border patrol coming across there were great, didn't make us pay for green card insurance, even when I mentioned it to him he just said, you can give me your money if you want but it's fine without.

I got a map for Bosnia and for Montenegro with the opensource maps and put them on my Garmin, better than the Garmin Eastern Europe maps, which had nothing, but still not 100% accurate.

Be careful on your way from Sarajevo to the border on that route as it becomes 1shared lane and the locals fly around the corners, not too bad but a touch hairy at points. As you get close to the border the great views start and only get better. You will cross some nice bridges and a huge dam.

Once you get to Niksic, go East on what is listed as the M6 then you want to head south again once you get to the R11. like this here

We did this though HERE

The bit to come off the 762 and head up was INSANE... all these dark tunnels that you looked into and they were pitch back, it was like riding into nothing, never sure what was on the other side - it was cool! About to post a picture on my facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/thegreatgallivant - I am posting photos there on facebook, only one of up near Zabjlak though.

Be careful with speed in Bosnia, a guy I met got knicked twice there. Speed limits are not always easy to come by either, not many signs so sometimes it is guestimation. Moreso with the lack of signs in Montenegro - at least a lot less than you will see in Western Europe. Meh, either way you are going to have a blast! We met heaps of cool riders on the road in Montenegro too. Watch the look on their faces when you tell them you are from the states :)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #23
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjackson View Post
Yeah we took the 762, also the border patrol coming across there were great, didn't make us pay for green card insurance, even when I mentioned it to him he just said, you can give me your money if you want but it's fine without.

I got a map for Bosnia and for Montenegro with the opensource maps and put them on my Garmin, better than the Garmin Eastern Europe maps, which had nothing, but still not 100% accurate.

Be careful on your way from Sarajevo to the border on that route as it becomes 1shared lane and the locals fly around the corners, not too bad but a touch hairy at points. As you get close to the border the great views start and only get better. You will cross some nice bridges and a huge dam.

Once you get to Niksic, go East on what is listed as the M6 then you want to head south again once you get to the R11. like this here

We did this though HERE

The bit to come off the 762 and head up was INSANE... all these dark tunnels that you looked into and they were pitch back, it was like riding into nothing, never sure what was on the other side - it was cool! About to post a picture on my facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/thegreatgallivant - I am posting photos there on facebook, only one of up near Zabjlak though.

Be careful with speed in Bosnia, a guy I met got knicked twice there. Speed limits are not always easy to come by either, not many signs so sometimes it is guestimation. Moreso with the lack of signs in Montenegro - at least a lot less than you will see in Western Europe. Meh, either way you are going to have a blast! We met heaps of cool riders on the road in Montenegro too. Watch the look on their faces when you tell them you are from the states :)
So would you suggest on taking a detour thru Zabijak or going straight on 762 to Niksic? How much more time will it take?
Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #24
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

I think it would take you about an extra 2-3 hours given all the stops etc that you end up doing to take photos. It is great, don't get met wrong, but then it may not be as appealing to you given that you are going to have already done so much of the alps in Italy/France. That's why I didn't recommend it straight away... but if you have the time, it is great, you get right up to the top of the mountains and it really opens up, everything is very old up there, kind of stuck in time in a way, all old cars and those giant hay bales, ah, best way is to just show you that part of the trip, here are some pics.

On the way up where it flattens out.

Old houses and cars with the strange style hay bales everywhere.

Just over the top of the pass onto the other side, our temporary companion Gian-Carlo behind us.

The way back down.

Cows on the road into Zabljak

Basketball on the same road... not many cars come through here then.

This one is looking down toward Kotor, not on the Zabljak detour but just wanted to show you.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #25
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, stunning. And from the experience - photos don't make justice...
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
Vixen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelieADV View Post
Not sure about the tour, but Just wana see it at least from outside in close view.
Southern Switzerland - 4 major passes all within short distance of eachother, including Furka and Nufenen. Stelvio is doable from there. Not to be missed, if you're travelling in that direction.

We started in Milan last year, headed straight to these passes enroute to Fussen. Absolutely amazing ride.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Southern Switzerland - 4 major passes all within short distance of each other, including Furka and Nufenen. Stelvio is doable from there. Not to be missed, if you're travelling in that direction.
You weren't trying hard enough

The following passes: Furka, Oberalp, St. Gotthard, Neufenen, Grimsel, Susten, Klausen, Praegel, Acherli, Glaubenbuelen, Glaubenberg, Brunig & Lukmanier are all within a 50km radius of Andermatt.

While trying to hit them all in one day would be a stretch, doing them all in 2 days isn't a major challenge.

And 3 days gives you enough time for lunch stops with naps.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #28
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Just watch out for the Swiss mobile speed traps. Fines (on the spot) are mind boggling and the checks are getting more frequent.

Last year they were stopping bikes on mass and doing tyre checks. €500 for a defective tyre.
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #29
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali in Austria View Post
Just watch out for the Swiss mobile speed traps. Fines (on the spot) are mind boggling and the checks are getting more frequent.

Last year they were stopping bikes on mass and doing tyre checks. €500 for a defective tyre.
I guess we have to go slower especially on rented bikes.
In regards to Balkans, what currency do they have? Do they accept euro or dollars, or we'll have to exchange for local money?
Also, is it ok to have just the US (NJ) driving license (no international one)?

2WheelieADV screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 09:17 AM
Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #30
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelieADV View Post
...regards to Balkans, what currency do they have? Do they accept euro or dollars, or we'll have to exchange for local money?

Also, is it ok to have just the US (NJ) driving license (no international one)?
Euro in Slovenia - I believe that the other countries each have their own currency. Most will probably accept Euros, the the spot exchange rate usually sucks pretty badly.

The IDP (International Driving Permit) is required in Austria and Italy. You need your NJ license, 2 passport type photos and $15. If you have an AAA office close to you, this can be done on the spot in about 15 minutes.

All the IDP is is a translation of your license into multiple languages - it is NOT, in itself, a driver's license.

I get one every year, but have never been asked so show it - even when renting vehicles in Italy. They DO want to see your license though.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote