simple, rider could fix
less rego costs
less to go wrong
cheaper road tolls
cheap tyres
parts smaller and cheaper
etc,etc

SO WHAT HAPPENED?????????
Depends on your mileage per year and the vehicles in comparison...and mechanical aptitude (aka your own maintenance)

My Speed Triple next to my F-150 when I was commuting 36,000 miles a year, WAY cheaper, the fuel savings between 17 and 45mph made up for the higher maintenance costs, chain, tires (x3 rear x2 fronts).

Now my commute is literally like 7k a year, I don't bother commuting on the bike a lot of the time, I live 4 miles from work, I spend more time taking gear on and off than I do actually riding....but if I was year over year, the bike(s) would be more expensive.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #92
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaJesus View Post
I'm late to the game here and not to rehash the counter-steer thing but it DOES matter in a huge way.

My buddy has been riding for years and he taught me how to ride a motorcycle. He told me to steer by leaning and that handlebar inputs were dangerous. I got by for a month until I ran wide and ALMOST killed myself on a curve. I thought there has to be a better way. I worked out the whole counter-steering thing, consciously applied it and am a better and safer rider for it.

Recently this same friend tried to teach his wife on a Sherpa how to ride, again with the same lack of detail to controlling the bike. On her first street adventure she drove straight through a 90 degree curve, couldn't initiate the turn fast enough through leaning. Luckily she wasn't confident enough in her abilities to be going above 10 mph and did't suffer any major injuries.

My point is that you guys who have been doing it without realizing it for many moons and don't care to analyze what is actually happening, and more importantly master your craft, have absolutely zero business trying to teach anybody the ropes, even casually.

So what you're saying is:

"Sure, I can teach you to ride." is a myth when uttered by your friend....

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #93
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Speaking of going where you look...

This morning my face shield kept getting covered in water as it was pretty foggy. To clear the water I would look 90 degrees left or right to my direction of travel. I did not end up in the pasture.

Apparently you assume I'm some dumbass. But you're making me wonder if you are...

If you look off to that pasture long enough you WILL start to steer that direction. It is about picking a line, not zig zagging everywhere your eyes look.

It seemed fairly clear - you look at the options, you pick the option you want, you go there. Try it and tell me if I'm wrong. Conciously pick a line about 6" from the edge of some spot on the road however far ahead of you as you are riding, Don't stare at it, just conciously pick it and continue your normal ride. You will pass within an inch or so of that spot. Ride within 6" of the centerline at 70 mph by picking that line a few hundred feet down the road, while still observing all else.

It is amazing how close one can hold a line when they actually concentrate on picking it while scanning. Problem is when someone looks at the hole or whatever in the road, never looking for the line around it. Ya gotta pick where you want to go and believe it or not you are constantly doing so, otherwise you'd simply crash. You look ahead through a corner selecting your line as you scan, altering it if something catches your attention, like a tar patch. It's quite real.

Happens when cars stop in front of people too. Ever see a bike crash where the skid mark indicates lots of room to have done somthing... like go around the car on the left or right, turn into a parking lot or a side street? If they'd have looked they'd have gone there. But they limited their choice to that rear bumper where they were looking.

If you only looked at the obstruction you will hit the obstruction. If you looked for the alternative and picked an alternative path you'd have gone around the obstruction. Been there done that, a lot.

You looked left to right to clear the shield, but you'd already seen and picked your line.

Mark - klx678
Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #94
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon

ATGATT...News flash - the only people who get any action dressed up like astronauts.....are actual astronauts.

Obviously never seen Marco Milandri's girlfriend

Or Casey Stoner's wife:

Mark - klx678
Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #95
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
"More than half of motorcyclist deaths involved at least one other vehicle."

http://www.motorcycleaccident.org/mo...ssible-causes/

Just because the accident involves another vehicle does not automatically mean it is the other vehicles fault. Lots of reasons for a motorcycle to hit another vehicle and it be the cyclists fault.

Another thing is they are talking deaths, what about accidents that dont involve a death.

I am on the side that most motorcycle accidents, are caused by adrenalin fueled stupidity of the rider.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #96
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada.
You're a teacher off for the summer, right? Maybe you need to go for a ride

You being a teacher, would I be correct in assuming you know the theory behind assuming?

Ass/u/me

Anyway, looks like current temps at 10:40 eastern time are from the mid-60s to mid-70s all across Ohio, perfect riding weather!

Edit: You do bring up a good point though... I should practice extreme evasive maneuvers more often than I currently do (which is almost never). I would venture a guess that most all of us need to.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #97
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
some people can rider a bike with out thinking about it other people have to think every small thing they do so make a bike turn / work.

me i dont think about turning the bike round bend i just ride them.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #98
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 574
Quote:

Or Casey Stoner's wife:
yawn.... I am too old for little girls. Now if one of them was dating Christina Hendricks I would reconsider.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #99
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
1980 in ''biker bar'' in canada
talking bikes, no accountants then ie ;pirates
knowledable riders
but i rode a ducati v twin
they had never of ducati
told them it was my only
transport and that i rode 12 months a year
they were flabbergasted
asked when i rebuilt my bike
i said didn't need it.
just different weather in nth america
and attitude to riding

countersteering
very old
first told about in early 70's
shown on tight 90 degree bend
by older rider
why is this such a revoloution
seems natural to me

imho
2c

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #100
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:

Or Casey Stoner's wife:

aaand we're not talking about those 1-pc suits, we're talking about 'Stiches and their ilk.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #101
Ugly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkmojo View Post
yawn.... I am too old for little girls. Now if one of them was dating Christina Hendricks I would reconsider.

She's going to be my girlfriend one day. All I have to do is to keep stalking her. One day.. yea. She will be mine.
Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #102
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 275
Quote:

Or Casey Stoner's wife:

My original "Astronaut" quote was referring to the orange 'Stitch onesie topped off with a solid white full-face, and black touring boots, as frequently seen at Starbucks across the country. I'm fully aware that nearly all car and moto racers have hot WAGs.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #103
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
I'm not picking a side, I was just posting what I found from this article. If you have a better link, post it up.

http://www.motorcycleaccident.org/mo...ssible-causes/
Oregon 2011 fatals. (Fatals because non-fatal crash reporting is too sporadic to use for reliable stats.)

MC vs. Auto = Rider's fault.
AUto vs. MC = Car's fault.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #104
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Oregon 2011 fatals. (Fatals because non-fatal crash reporting is too sporadic to use for reliable stats.)

MC vs. Auto = Rider's fault.
AUto vs. MC = Car's fault.
Cool. That's pretty much the picture I had in my head. That link I posted didn't quite jive with what I figured, but I don't have my own research to back up my "gut."

I do think that people highly underestimate the chances of themselves being at fault on a bike accident. Too many times people want to point the finger at "all the idiots in cages."

One thing that always sticks with me is this advice my dad gave me: Remember that in all of your failed relationships or endeavors, you are the common denominator.

ten_fiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #105
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Not sure if it is a myth or not. Half of the people out there can't see you. The other half reallly is trying to kill you!
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote