Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #31
BMWzenrider OP
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
I was able to "cheap out" by using an Avon on my 17" rear wheel. I had a very slight rub on the corner of the tread when the tire heated up and expanded at speed, just enough to make a shiny spot , not enough to make any detent in the rubber surface. I relieved that area of the tread with my air sander, that problem is solved.
My one concern is that there is only one tire available in that size, 195/45-17, and may be an issue if replacement is needed on the road. I could always put a cycle tire back on if needed.
Second, it was a screaming bitch to mount, won't be fun roadside, would of been a bit easier with a 2nd pair of hands. I do carry a compressor, plug gun & string plugs.
I'm seriously considering getting an adapter, figure I can find a 15" wheel & tire most any where, and any shop will mount the tire.
My bad, I thought you had gone with the Yokahoma S-Drive in that size.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...sortCode=49582

I didn't know that Avon offered one in that size here in the states.

-----

Yeah, one of the downsides of going "Darkside" using the stock bike wheel is that it can be difficult to find anyone willing to service the tire/wheel.
Bike shops don't like you not buying the tire from them, and cite liability concerns about mounting a car tire on a bike wheel.
Most Auto shops won't work on a bike wheel, period.
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #32
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider View Post
My bad, I thought you had gone with the Yokahoma S-Drive in that size.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...sortCode=49582

I didn't know that Avon offered one in that size here in the states.

-----

Yeah, one of the downsides of going "Darkside" using the stock bike wheel is that it can be difficult to find anyone willing to service the tire/wheel.
Bike shops don't like you not buying the tire from them, and cite liability concerns about mounting a car tire on a bike wheel.
Most Auto shops won't work on a bike wheel, period.
Karl, you were correct, I don't know why I typed in Avon, Doh! Original post fixed.....
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #33
halflive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Ahhh... but you are forgetting that Europe gets to buy lots of tires that are unavailable here in the colonies...

I would love it if there were more of the SmartCar tires available here for the 15" wheel/tire conversions, but we just can't get them.

Another advantage, for me, of the 15" wheel conversion is that I can drop in at ANY local service or tire shop and they will work with my wheel.
Trying to find a shop which will mount a car tire to a bike wheel is getting harder due to liability fears.
I can get any local dude to patch or replace my 15" car tire/wheel for me.

You can also vary the gearing through a wider selection of 15" tire sizes if desired.
But these aren't Smart tires. These tires are 17" and intended for a GM sports car, like the Daewoo Speedster. It is indeed hard to get these cars in the US

If i take a look at the website of the US based tire rack i can find three brands of 145/65/15 tires that would represent a Smart tire. I don't see a problem mail ordering a set.

The 17" tires would be a bit more hassle. But we in Europe buy things from Asia and the US of A, Taking in aspect that you don't have to convert your rear wheel is may be worth the waiting for a shipment.

Fitting a car tire is not that difficult. especially because they are tubeless. I have done it several times with minor tools and short tire levers. If i would travel to more remote area's i would probably take some tools and patches with me, but i wouldn't take the trouble of discussion with rubber sellers.
Of course, when you manage to completely wreck a tire, you can always step back to a MC tire on the same rim and get home.
halflive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #34
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
No brainer to me All of my wheels are tubless 15", even the trailer at last .
We use to have a 19" front tyre 17" rear 15" sidecar and 13" trailer.

Car Tyres are around $100.00 each .
Motor bike tyres cost ? I think i was paying around $280 a while ago just for a rear tyre .

But i still love the look of the bmw spoke wheels on a sidecar setup

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #35
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
In my experience, the "vintage" car replacement tires are total crap!
Coker makes a ton of money selling them to the antique/vintage car guys, but those are mostly only used in parades or sitting in a garage/museum. So there really is no incentive for them to use modern casings or rubber compounds.
You will probably be very unhappy with the performance as well as the wear.

And of course, gearing choices are always a compromise.
Keeping the engine revs down at highway speeds usually means sacrificing power at takeoff without seriously abusing your clutch.

Over the weekend I had been playing with my accumulated fuel economy data that I have been keeping for the current rig. You might be surprised how little engine speed has to do with fuel economy.
I think what usually happens when you have a cycle/rig that is geared lower ther is more temptation to excersize that right wrist because it is just so much fun!
I actually did try them, really liked how they handled on the street, but otherwise offered no real advantage over MC tires, and a couple of disadvantages.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #36
BMWzenrider OP
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by halflive View Post
But these aren't Smart tires. These tires are 17" and intended for a GM sports car, like the Daewoo Speedster. It is indeed hard to get these cars in the US
As reported, the 195/45-17 is available here in the states, but so far as I know, only one version is available.

Quote:
If i take a look at the website of the US based tire rack i can find three brands of 145/65/15 tires that would represent a Smart tire. I don't see a problem mail ordering a set.
Yes, I have purchased tires from TireRack.com before, in fact that is where my winter tire came from.
And there are more choices in this size than there used to be, but IMHO the treadwear rating on the all-season versions being offered is truely pitiful.
The summer(all-season) tire that I am currently using has a UTQG of 400, where the ones in the 145/65-15 size are only 240 & 340, so they would only last 1/2-3/4 as long if you are lucky.

Quote:
The 17" tires would be a bit more hassle. But we in Europe buy things from Asia and the US of A, Taking in aspect that you don't have to convert your rear wheel is may be worth the waiting for a shipment.
I have tried to get overseas tire companies to ship to the USA.
So far I have not found any who will do it due to our DOT.
Nobody wants to deal with the hassle for a small order to someone who isn't licensed to sell tires.

YMMV...
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote