ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #271
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,121
GPSMAP 62/78 software version 4.03 Beta

as of May 18, 2012
Download (4.48 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements
Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History
Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.03:

Added new route activity types
Added support for Kenwood NMEA Waypoint Sentence
Improved GPS response at low speeds
Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from Basecamp (identical maps required)
Fixed Spell Search in German
Problems with this beta software may be reported to 62-78Beta@garmin.com

Yeehaw! This feature is especially important: "Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from Basecamp (identical maps required)". Now when you painstakingly create routes in Basecamp, they aren't discarded and recalculated by the gps when you try to navigate them.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #272
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Guys,
Just bought a gpsmap 62, the base model.
I use the free shonky maps for my other garmin gps(nuvi500), but how would i install the shonky map onto my gps62?
It has no sd card, so im assuming you would copy/paste the shonky maps file folder to the garmins folder somewhere? so its in the internall memory? obviously the gps connected via usb.

Reason i ask, i made a track on mapsource(tried basecamp as well) using full shonky map topo and sent the track file to my gps62, it transfered fine and when i went into the 62's file i found the track, clicked view it on map and all that showed up was the track but on the very base map that came with the unit, i dont see the shonky map details on the unit or when viewing the track i made.

Please help
mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #273
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
Guys,
Just bought a gpsmap 62, the base model.
I use the free shonky maps for my other garmin gps(nuvi500), but how would i install the shonky map onto my gps62?
It has no sd card, so im assuming you would copy/paste the shonky maps file folder to the garmins folder somewhere? so its in the internall memory? obviously the gps connected via usb.

Reason i ask, i made a track on mapsource(tried basecamp as well) using full shonky map topo and sent the track file to my gps62, it transfered fine and when i went into the 62's file i found the track, clicked view it on map and all that showed up was the track but on the very base map that came with the unit, i dont see the shonky map details on the unit or when viewing the track i made.

Please help
As you noticed, the 62 does not have maps built in, aside from the useless Basemap. If you're using Mapsource, load the Shonkymaps to the gps. If you're using BaseCamp, you'll want to run MapInstall to load the maps.

If you already have an img file of the Shonkymaps on another device, you could likely just copy that through the computer to the 62.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #274
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Cheers for the help, i figured it out.
What i did was... in mapsource, i clicked the shonky map full topo to show on the map, i then used a map tool to highlight the whole of Australia then clicked send to device, click the tab "map" and press ok.

It then sent about 300mb+ worth of maps to the gps unit.
Checked it on my gps unit and its all there, now when i view my track i made i can see the shonky mapping as well, woohoo :)
Getting the hang of it, love the tracking feature that my nuvi500 couldnt do, no cluttering of flags etc...

cheers again.
mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #275
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Another Beta release for the 62/78 Series as of May 25:

Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.10:

Added new route activity types and improved BaseCamp compatibility. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupda...th-garmin.html) for more information.
Problems with this software may be reported to 62-78Beta@garmin.com

Go here to find it:
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #276
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

New Software for the 62/78 Series:

Changes from version 3.90 to version 4.20:

Added new route activity types and improved BaseCamp compatibility. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupda...th-garmin.html) for more information.
Added ability to sort waypoints alphabetically < I don't think this works - at least I can't find it on my 62 which is now at version 4.20
Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from BaseCamp (identical maps required)
Fixed issue where the map would sometimes not refresh when using the active route page
Fixed issue with the Glide Ratio data field
Fixed possible issue with Where To? > Address searching

Use Garmin's WebUpdater or http://Garmin.com/mydashboard to get the update.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 05:53 PM
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #277
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

New Software for the 62/78 Series:

* Added ability to sort waypoints alphabetically

There's a new version out yesterday, 4.30, and this now allows you to sort waypoints

Use WebUpdater to get the new software.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #278
jonsom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
GPSmap78s

Just received my 3rd one from Garmin. Hope this one last's more than a year.
jonsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #279
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN rider View Post
Just received my 3rd one from Garmin. Hope this one last's more than a year.
What's happening to it? Most likely the usb connector, but wondering anyway...
Old 06-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #280
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I wouldn't get either since Garmin hasn't figured out many of us want to have the ability to turn of auto recalc for routes. So I'll stick with my 76cx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
GPSMAP 62/78 software version 4.03 Beta

as of May 18, 2012
Download (4.48 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements
Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History
Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.03:

Added new route activity types
Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from Basecamp (identical maps required)
Problems with this beta software may be reported to 62-78Beta@garmin.com

Yeehaw! This feature is especially important: "Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from Basecamp (identical maps required)". Now when you painstakingly create routes in Basecamp, they aren't discarded and recalculated by the gps when you try to navigate them.

So this seems to mostly ease my concern I also had about the auto-recalc. I read this entire thread and I'm surprised no one addressed this issue even though it was asked a few times. I borrowed a friends 76 last week for a dual sport ride and I had some routes loaded to it. The auto-recalc drove me INSANE! If I spent the time making the route I don't want the GPS thinking for me. I found out after the ride that you can disable it. All I want is it to display a route with my location. If I make a wrong turn I don't want it to change the route for me automatically!
So, on the 78 if you are navigating to say a single waypoint is there a way to turn off auto-recalc as well??

I really wish the Oregon had a 4-pin I'd probably get that over the 78. And I find it hard to justify the price of the Montana. Going to REI today to play with them all though but I am thinking of going with the base model 78
Attached Images

skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #281
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
And can you view street names from any zoom level? That was also annoying on the 76 you had to zoom way in for it to display road names.

In cities this makes total sense the screen would be nothing but words, but out in the country it would nice to be able to force it to display road names at any zoom level. I was constantly zooming in and out and in and out....
skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #282
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,839
Hey, just got my 78s from the discount cave at cabela's, $278 OTD after taxes.

I'm getting ready to order all of the goodies for it, want to make sure I'm ordering what I need and not wasting money here:

Cigarette lighter power cord. Going to run bike power on Harley, FJR, and truck. Batteries on Ninja, ATV, and XRR.

City Nav North America map

Should I get the topo? 100K good enough? Using it for riding on the dual sport and the street bike, with occasional hiking and Kayaking use

Ram mount for the GPS, with the short arm and enough bike mounts for everything I own. Harley, Ninja, FJR, ATV, and XRR. Also getting a Ram mount of some sort for my truck and the GF's car.

Anything else? Thanks.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #283
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

want to make sure I'm ordering what I need and not wasting money here:

Cigarette lighter power cord. Going to run bike power on Harley, FJR, and truck. Batteries on Ninja, ATV, and XRR.

City Nav North America map

Should I get the topo? 100K good enough?
Get hard wire kit for ATV & XRR

Yes, get topo for PC but most people don't use in 62 even if loaded.

Buy DVD not chip.

All I have is 100K, but I also have 24,000 Nat Geo to export pictures.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #284
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Get hard wire kit for ATV & XRR

Yes, get topo for PC but most people don't use in 62 even if loaded.

Buy DVD not chip.

All I have is 100K, but I also have 24,000 Nat Geo to export pictures.
Thank you for responding.

The ATV will be a pretty rare usage, but I could use the cigarette lighter if I need it. I've been meaning to put an outlet on it anyways for a few years now. XRR is AC only, no DC power on the bike. Maybe someday I'll switch it over, but as of now I don't see a need to.

So the 100K topo is good enough, and most people don't use it anyways? Why is that? It seems useful to me, but I'm assuming that roads are labeled and you are still able to navigate them if desired. I could very well be wrong about that though.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #285
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
I find navigating on the fly (from the unit) using 100k Topos almost impossible over any distance larger than a few miles.

It is okay if there are only a few roads in your immediate area. And you can pick one and follow it to some better known place.

But it gets hopelessly confusing for me if I zoom out and start panning around and there are a lot of roads.

In City Nav you can pick a point you want to get to and hit Enter and then navigate to it. But sometimes I have to do this in small chunks, because CN will compute some horrible routes over long distances.

But I use 100k Topos a lot for planning trips on the computer.

I have just gotten my hands on the 24k Topos. I was really surprised that many minor roads and trails that show up in 100k Topos do not show up in the 24k version. The opposite is also true, but that was what I expected.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote