User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #91
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
I would LOVE to try one of these.

And a tip for the wise: most threads are better read with IheartmyNX on your ignore list.

Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #92
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #93
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
I also didn't realize they claim a street legal version on the 450 model. Dadgumit!...this is all I need...some other reason to consider this bike.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #94
TNC
Candyass Camper

OK...watched several videos for this system now. Most of them appear to made-for-commercial kind of deals, but that 2007 enduro competition one really gave a better perspective IMO. The segment in that video that showed the rider in that horribly rocky streambed told me a lot. As a younger guy, I raced enduros for decades on all kinds of bikes. I get riding in that terrain in that streambed, and I could really tell how that front wheel pulling was changing the game for that guy. The nature of that spot totally removed a good bit of that advantage that you can often get by pulling the front end up a bit and letting it skip over the oncoming rocks on your regular single drive bike. That streambed had too much oddly spaced rock to do that without some extreme consequences if everything doesn't go perfectly. The Christini rider was maintaining a good pace, because you could tell the front wheel was not stacking and stalling into the upcoming rock faces. There wasn't anything fake or staged about that sequence...and I'm not saying the other vids were staged, but you always have that suspicion in the back of your mind.

I think I see one problem with this bike. When riding in a rocky situation like that vid, you better watch your foot placement when dabbing. When you're used to slogging more through something like that when you have to dab, you might not be ready for the rolling speed that's occurring with this front wheel drive, if you get what I'm saying. Since I don't have to race in mud anymore, I wouldn't be that impressed with how good this bike does in nasty conditions. I'd rather not ride in those conditions anymore unless I'm just caught out in a downpour. However, I see that this setup seems to do extremely well in rocky terrain or any place where loose traction becomes an issue. I know the Christini name has been around for awhile, but after researching some reviews and vids, I didn't realize how long. And I didn't read much about reliability issues and such. Judging by the amount of time this system has been around, this Christini guy must be serious about promoting it.

Man, I could see me liking something like that street legal model for my trips and riding style. I wish I knew more about that engine and suspension. I'll bet the frame is solid, but I'm not that familiar with that fork and the rear shock type was not listed in what I saw.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #95
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Maintenance??

I wonder what the maintenance schedule is like? I s the motor for the DS a tuned more for longevity?

If it is, that would put it at the top of my list of new DS bikes, a real bargain when compared with the kit prices...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #96
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
Yes, the motor is tuned for reliability. It is a copy of the CRF450X, but with slightly lower compression ratio (11:1) and a small CV type street carburetor, which is required for the 50 state certification. Both 450s, DS and dirt only, use the same motor. I am in the process of installing a CRF 40mm FCR carb and CRF450X slip on to gain some power. I also am sure that a CRF450R cam will fit, but I need to verify which version is needed. The nice thing about the bike is that virtually all Honda parts fit.

As far as maintennce on the front drive, it is not bad. The bike comes with a needle tip grease gun and tube of grease to use on the telescoping front drive shafts. This is the only thing required at short intervals and only takes seconds to perform. The manual on the front drive system is quite impressive, the one on the rest of the bike, not so much, but again, it is basically a CRF450X and you can down load a manual for that.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #97
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Yes, the motor is tuned for reliability. It is a copy of the CRF450X, but with slightly lower compression ratio (11:1) and a small CV type street carburetor, which is required for the 50 state certification. Both 450s, DS and dirt only, use the same motor. I am in the process of installing a CRF 40mm FCR carb and CRF450X slip on to gain some power. I also am sure that a CRF450R cam will fit, but I need to verify which version is needed. The nice thing about the bike is that virtually all Honda parts fit.

As far as maintennce on the front drive, it is not bad. The bike comes with a needle tip grease gun and tube of grease to use on the telescoping front drive shafts. This is the only thing required at short intervals and only takes seconds to perform. The manual on the front drive system is quite impressive, the one on the rest of the bike, not so much, but again, it is basically a CRF450X and you can down load a manual for that.
On the Honda compatibility, how did that happen? Did Christini make some kind of deal with Honda? I'm only asking because Honda is usually very protective about their technology. I'd guess the CRF450 stuff is still patent protected to some degree, but honestly I have no idea how this stuff works.

On the CV carb, frankly for using it as a more serious DS bike, I'd rather keep the CV carb. They are easier to live with in places like Colorado, and they get excellent mileage as a rule. I currently have one on my KLX250S with a 300 cylinder on it, and it's a stupid simple carb. Nothing wrong with wanting more carb and a little better response, but I'd think the 450 would be more than sufficient power for my taste.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #98
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
On the Honda compatibility, how did that happen? Did Christini make some kind of deal with Honda? I'm only asking because Honda is usually very protective about their technology. I'd guess the CRF450 stuff is still patent protected to some degree, but honestly I have no idea how this stuff works.
I thought it was loosly explaned on the first few pages (I haven't looked though, maybe I should before opening my mouth...), but the base bike used is of Chinese origen (sold as an "Odes" here in Aus.

That bike was basicly an older CRF, (I think they had the old tooling for the parts, but I could be very wrong there), and from what I have heard, copyright doesnt really exist in China.

All this is just of the top of my head so if someone comes in and refutes it, they are probably right.

Edit, I just looked, and it must have been a different thread I was thinking of...

It was THIS thread...

tHEtREV screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 08:41 PM
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #99
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
Yes, it is based on this bike, the Asiawing LX450X, which is basically a CRF450X. They have some agreement with Honda, probably because they build other small bikes for them and Honda is coming out which a new CRF.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #100
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
I was told that the manual could be found online but have failed to find it. Anybody have a link for it? basic christini operation maintenance etc
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #101
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I was told that the manual could be found online but have failed to find it. Anybody have a link for it? basic christini operation maintenance etc
PM me your email address and I will send a pdf copy to you.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #102
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmzilla View Post
A note on increasing the front drive rate.

As mentioned gearing the rear sproket lower will help close the gap and engage the front earlier, my 530 had a 13/9 front and a 16 tcase input, 45T rear for about a 67% underdrive rate, going to the 52 rear sprocket raised it into the 70% range.

Then I tried the 13/10 front countershaft and 15 tcase input and am at about 80% (same length 420 chain), great in the deep snow on studs, but tends to climb out of the rut a bit too early as it hardly takes any rear spin for the front sprags to engage...

I may go back to 13/9 and 16 for summer (offroad) conditions. Put a 49 on for local dual sporting.

http://forums.rmdra.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7105
Great thread there, do you have to be a member for the pics to show up? I'm interested in gearing mine up so it digs more. Mine is 13/50, 9/16. I've only ridden it once so I only just learned that you have to gas it to bulldog it out of a failed hillclimb.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #103
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Rxv4.5-5.5

How about one of these made from an Aprilia RXV 5.5? That would be nice; V-twin power with AWD.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #104
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
i got a good look and a test ride of this

what is the word on the quality of the parts?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #105
TNC
Candyass Camper

Well, tdrrally, what was the assessment from your ride? Did you get to ride it off road any?