User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,109
In ..

.. always enjoy your posts .. good stuff this .. thanks for sharing and I look forward to more ..

Ride Blessed ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMTS View Post
Yeah, I used to work in that area at one time for a trail project. We would eat there when we were in town. The Pinnacle burger wasn't bad. Sometimes the after effects wouldn't be worth it though.I have ridden in your neck of the woods. Beautiful country you have there. I'll be planning a trip probably in the fall and hopefully wrap around the Smokys again. Love the Cherohala Skyway!
Give a holler or a PM when your headin' this way and maybe can roll the dice on a spot to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by halflife View Post
Awesome, Aarrffin'. Keep up the GREAT work on this!

I'm just N of Atlanta and mostly play in the N Ga mtns, but lately had my eye on the eastern TN/western NC area, generally south of the Cherohala. I'm hoping to pick your brain on a few sites/roads you may have experience with... (if this is a hijack, just say so and I’ll gladly PM or make other arrangements).

Waucheesi Mtn lookout (about 4-5 miles west of the lake you found off Green Cove) - have you ridden up this? Is the road manageable on a loaded KLR with an average skill rider?

On other rides I may have a couple weeStroms in my group with limited off road experience and street tires. Are Buck Bald (off TN 68) and Wesser Bald, and Wayah Bald tame enough for them and/or worth the trip?

As you can tell, I LOVE me some views. Those backyard pics of yours look awesome - must be a fun ride “up” to get home!

Thanks again for your RR.
No way is this a hi-jack! This is why I did this to share! Maybe I can tell you something and I learn in the process too. Regarding your notes: I'll get one of my buds (_anatic) to look at this as he might know about Waucheesi as I have not been on it in a long time. He is busy tomorrow selling burgers for his fire dept but check back here in a day or two to see what he might have for you. By Wesser Bald, I assume you mean to ride the Tellico Road ( not Tellico Plains Tn) from Burningtown off highway 28 over the mountain where the AT crosses then over to Wayah Road. If you can catch this on a damp day to help settle the gravel. There are steep sharp switch backs which can be challenging for newer riders on gravel. I was up there a few months ago and the switchbacks had large "washboards" that would almost bottom out my GS had I not dialed up the off road mode with my computer. Inexperience and street tires might make this one not much fun and the scenery is Ok but not one of my favorites...I ride this one just for the fun of gravel but it may not be fun at all for a beginner on a loaded bike.

Wayah Bald is a must see, the road is simple gravel, about 6miles from the gap on Wayah as I remember, the first pic in this thread is me on that tower. Your folks will have a hoot on this one. Just keep it slow in the blind curves as there could be some traffic on weekends. Weekdays it pretty quiet.

Sorry I can't tell you about buck Bald but maybe someone can chime in with info as that is fine with me. Meanwhile, I will see what I can find out and PM you, etc.

Your newer riders would enjoy Max Patch Road and the Bald at MaxPatch. Several ways to get there on gravel off 209 between Hot Springs and Waynesville. You can go in from Fines Creek andride the entire road which ends up on 25-70 in TN or ride 209 down to Trust and Spring Creek and pick up Meadow Fork or Little Creek to Max Patch Road.

The view of I-40 in my thread is off Buzzard Roost Road which is between I 40 and Mt. Sterling. Easy gravel and PM me if you need info on how to find that as it is not a marked overlook.

If you like the Cherohala,the road I took down to Green Cove in this thread is easy but with the newer folks,go out toward Tellico Plains, Tn

Any other thoughts, feel free to check back by and ask or PM me either way is fine and thanks for stopping by!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 06:35 AM
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Great thread, this is the stuff that sucks so bad I spend hours looking at it.
Those roads look Aarrffly familiar. Still have family in Tazewell County,VA and "Momanem" were born in McDowell County WV in a coal town named Pageton, just down the road from Welch.
Thanks for posting, its ride reports like yours that inspired me to start a thread too.
Good deal. I have been prowling around in these mountains since I was a kid back in the late 1950's and early 60's on dirt bikes and there has never been a way to share this stuff with people like this site. Baldy sure has a good one here and I hope we can always keep it! I love to read the other threads of inmates and I am hoping to spend more time traveling in the western states and I'll throw in a thread under "ride reports' when I head out that way again. Thanks Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. always enjoy your posts .. good stuff this .. thanks for sharing and I look forward to more ..

Ride Blessed ..
Hey bud! I see you been active some in the NCTOR. Thanks for checking in on me and it makes me feel good to know that others enjoy my Aarrffin around! You ride Blessed as well my friend!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #34
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,328
Nice pics Ed, thanks for sharing. I want to head up to the hills again this summer for a few days. I will need a tour guide so I can find my way back east of I-77. Can I count on you for that job?

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 06-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #35
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
Nice pics Ed, thanks for sharing. I want to head up to the hills again this summer for a few days. I will need a tour guide so I can find my way back east of I-77. Can I count on you for that job?

<>< Fish
Hey Fish! Really enjoyed meeting you last year and ridin'. I try to check this thread about every day but it might be best to PM me when you make plans to head this way and as long as I don't have any previous commitments or scheduled appearances ( ) I would like to get out for another run trough the mountains. Give me an idea what you would like and we'll do it! Good to hear from you and thanks for checking by here too!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #36
WVMTS
Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
Give a holler or a PM when your headin' this way and maybe can roll the dice on a spot to eat
Will do. Thank you kind sir!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #37
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:

I'm just N of Atlanta and mostly play in the N Ga mtns, but lately had my eye on the eastern TN/western NC area, generally south of the Cherohala. I'm hoping to pick your brain on a few sites/roads you may have experience with... (if this is a hijack, just say so and I’ll gladly PM or make other arrangements).

Waucheesi Mtn lookout (about 4-5 miles west of the lake you found off Green Cove) - have you ridden up this? Is the road manageable on a loaded KLR with an average skill rider?

On other rides I may have a couple weeStroms in my group with limited off road experience and street tires. Are Buck Bald (off TN 68) and Wesser Bald, and Wayah Bald tame enough for them and/or worth the trip?
Hey halflife
Never been to Waucheesi Mtn or Buck Bald. I think you have to hike to Wesser from Tellico Road. It's not a long walk but I think the FS gate stays closed. An like Aarrff said, Wayah is easy an well worth the trip!

Quote:
No way is this a hi-jack! This is why I did this to share! Maybe I can tell you something and I learn in the process too. Regarding your notes: I'll get one of my buds (_anatic) to look at this as he might know about Waucheesi as I have not been on it in a long time. He is busy tomorrow selling burgers for his fire dept but check back here in a day or two to see what he might have for you. By Wesser Bald, I assume you mean to ride the Tellico Road ( not Tellico Plains Tn) from Burningtown off highway 28 over the mountain where the AT crosses then over to Wayah Road. If you can catch this on a damp day to help settle the gravel. There are steep sharp switch backs which can be challenging for newer riders on gravel. I was up there a few months ago and the switchbacks had large "washboards" that would almost bottom out my GS had I not dialed up the off road mode with my computer. Inexperience and street tires might make this one not much fun and the scenery is Ok but not one of my favorites...I ride this one just for the fun of gravel but it may not be fun at all for a beginner on a loaded bike.

Wayah Bald is a must see, the road is simple gravel, about 6miles from the gap on Wayah as I remember, the first pic in this thread is me on that tower. Your folks will have a hoot on this one. Just keep it slow in the blind curves as there could be some traffic on weekends. Weekdays it pretty quiet.

Sorry I can't tell you about buck Bald but maybe someone can chime in with info as that is fine with me. Meanwhile, I will see what I can find out and PM you, etc.

Your newer riders would enjoy Max Patch Road and the Bald at MaxPatch. Several ways to get there on gravel off 209 between Hot Springs and Waynesville. You can go in from Fines Creek andride the entire road which ends up on 25-70 in TN or ride 209 down to Trust and Spring Creek and pick up Meadow Fork or Little Creek to Max Patch Road.

The view of I-40 in my thread is off Buzzard Roost Road which is between I 40 and Mt. Sterling. Easy gravel and PM me if you need info on how to find that as it is not a marked overlook.

If you like the Cherohala,the road I took down to Green Cove in this thread is easy but with the newer folks,go out toward Tellico Plains, Tn

Any other thoughts, feel free to check back by and ask or PM me either way is fine and thanks for stopping by!
Sorry, not much help, that is a little far west for me. PM JoeWannaB, he can definitely put you on some KLR friendly stuff. Examples here.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #38
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Good idea, PMin' Joe...

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,616
Quote:

As you can tell, I LOVE me some views. Those backyard pics of yours look awesome - must be a fun ride “up” to get home!

Thanks again for your RR.
I went up Buck Bald a few weeks ago. We took some single track part way up and then easy (very easy) FS road the rest of the way up and all the way back to 68. It's a nice view and worth the ride. There are many easy rides in the area with great views. I'd recommend Tatham Gap although as the following pics show, only hardcore DS bikes recommended

I also recommend Rainbow Springs rd between Wayah rd and 64. Needmore rd which runs from 19/28 to Tellico rd runs right along the river and would be great for dirt noobs on wee's.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #40
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Good info for him Klaviator. How are your plans comin' along?

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #41
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,616
Quote:
Good info for him Klaviator. How are your plans comin' along?
I'm gathering as much advice as I can but I'll probably wing it and make my final decisions as I go. I should be passing through your neck of the woods a week from Sunday, give or take a day. Your pics from WV are making me really look forward to the trip.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #42
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,910
I've been up Buck Bald two times and both times I took Trail 82 to the gravel road. Never been up on just the gravel road. I was also following so I was paying more attention to the tail lights in front than the way I went. Very pretty view from up there.

Wesser Bald is not accessible by motorized vehicles. The Appalachian Trail runs right by it so it would be a tough one to poach unseen. (not my style) The closest access is to take Otter Creek Road to the top of Tellico Gap where the AT crosses. It is a nice hike up (1.5 miles). Or you could keep riding down Tellico Road. It is actually more fun to ride up Tellico Rd.

+1 on Rainbow Springs Rd, Wayah Bald, Tatham Gap & Needmore Road

You might also try...

FS 308 AKA the Gravel Dragon which runs from Andrews to Snowbird area

FS 81 which is the gravel road that parallels the Cherohala Skyway

Tuni Gap Road / Tuskeegee Road Loop (Big Choga Rd off of Junaluska Rd)

All are gravel roads that are suitable for larger DS and Adv bikes.

One of the best roads is lost to us ... Winding Stairs has been closed for over a year now and looks like it will not reopen. Sure the gate is easy to ride around but again, that is not my style.

PM me if you want more specifics. I am uncomfortable advertising these roads on the open internet as we are losing access daily and the last thing I want is for masses of hooligans to cause problems.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #43
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Thanks Joe!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #44
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Had to put a a new battery in the GS. Mine seemed to be fine one day and GONE the next. Took it out of my bike and tried to charge it that way off the canbus and that would not do either. Another ride bud of mine had the same thing happen when his got about 2 years old. Anyway, so I will try and aftermarket brand that I trust since its cheaper than the Beemer version that I had and we will see....took the bike out fer a short spin to a road I had not been on in a long long time over near Rosman. Headed up 215 from my place...awful road..avoid it if you get this way:

There are several of these old Iron bridges in the neighborhood. This one goes to private property now and used to be about 5 miles down the river about 60 years ago. Bridge recycling I guess you would say. The bridge that replaced it has been on the NC TIP program list to replace for 25 years...hope yor motorcycle does not weigh over a few tons...no Harley's ( kidding)

I need a better camera or help using this thing. I had it set for a fast shutter since I take stuff rolling but when I stop it all looks washed out. Maybe I need to try something else.

How's this from the BRP by mtngal:

Decent to Rosman:

Neat brick work in town...look at that chimney!

Old store:

East fork of the French Broad River:

My kind of place:

Think some other inmates have posted this yard art up too but here it is in case you have not seen this...funny stuff!

I must have scared the locals since they runnin' from me...

Now I am back on a road where the touristas travel as you can tell

On the way home now. Just before this shot, I came upon 5 deer on the edge of the road. They were totally unafraid and so I stopped and took good photos of the rascals not more that ten feet off the pavement. Can you believe, the shots are not in my camera!! I must have accidentally turned the darn thing off as I remember having to stop and reset everything just before this. You can't tell from my poor lens but the big mountains in the distance are up in the clouds ( ref my shot from the BRP earlier in the ride as I am looking at the same spot where I crossed over) Maybe some more ugly stuff in a few days...

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #45
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 997
Camped at the Lazy J couple miles up 215 from Rosman. They have an old iron/wood plank bridge at the entrance, its over the side and down the hill so you can't see it from the road. Owners are good people, they were considering doing another campground in VA somewhere. Last time I was there was '08.

Again I say: great posts and Thank You !
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote