Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #2221
tungkee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
my radiator cap had some visible damage on the tangs that hold the cap in place. When I opened up the body panels, the cap was half off and had coolant spilled all over the inside.
tungkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #2222
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungkee View Post
my radiator cap had some visible damage on the tangs that hold the cap in place. When I opened up the body panels, the cap was half off and had coolant spilled all over the inside.
That's great it was such an easy fix. Any idea how it got damaged.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #2223
tungkee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I can only imagine it came that way from the dealership. I purchased it from a dealership in Denver and had it shipped to California. I never physically saw or rode the bike before it came to California so I was taking a big risk with this purchase, but I got it for $3500!!
tungkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #2224
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Oem dunlop

Hey there.
I'm having a little tire problem. Can't find a replacement for the rear OEM Dunlop GPR100 Sportmax. I am having no luck locating a replacement for it, and don't want to change manufacturers and have to replace both front and rear at the same time. None of the usual internet tire places have it. Can't even find it here
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/
Any hints, anybody? Otherwise I'll have to change both.....
Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #2225
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
There have been many threads in many forums about mixing tire brands/types. I do it most of the time. Does not seem to be a problem. Here is one thread about it: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...79928&page=all
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #2226
1stscoot
iscoot

Oddometer: 43
Elefant: The stock Dunlops and Bridgestones that come on the TMax leave a lot to be desired IMHO. They wear pretty well, but handling, traction and ride are not the best. I would recommend you try some of the other brands recommended here or on the Majesty/TMax forum. Mixing front/back tires is no problem. Pirelli Diablo, Michelin Pilot SC are highly recommended. Also look at Metzler. Other lines of Dunlop or Bridgestone also. If you like the new one you choose for the rear, you can eventually change the front to the same type. Someone either here or on the other forum said the best tire set-up was the Pirelli on the back and the Michelin in the front and he tried a lot of different tires...

Left Coast, Kalifornia
2009 Yamaha Tmax
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 200 RIP
1stscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #2227
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I don't like to, and I hope I won't begin a tire thread....Just like oil, BUT. I've been down twice. Once on the track, once on twisties. Both Michelins, both lost the front. So no Michelins for me. Regardless of how much anybody likes them. As far as Dunlop, it is my preferred alternative. I have several bikes and depending of the use, I do Q2 front and either Q2 or Roadsmart rear. No problems. I did do Diablos while Dunlop had the 208, because I didn't like it. Loved the 207s, and first qualifiers best. Q2 is OK, but not as good as the originals. Diablos are pretty good, but now they've got so many different diablos.... it got old trying to discern which one is THE original. They want to confuse people? They got me! Loved the Metzeler M1 on the K1200S, but they were expensive and lasted less than a bag of candy in my son's bedroom.
Anyway, what I've never liked doing was mixing manufacturers, due mainly to different tire architecture, which translates in different dynamic characteristics. Perhaps I'm being too picky considering it's not a 100bhp bike but.... just me. I just didn't expect Dunlop to having those tires available, that's all. I guess I'll have to go to Diablo.
As far as the behaviour of the stock tires, I don't know what people complaint about. After 5k miles, the front looks new, feels new, and never lost it. The rear is wearing well and fairly even with thin chicken strip, even wear, never ever, let go of the rear. And I've done a fair amount of back roads full tilt in the Poconos on weekends. Then again, a twin 500cc automatic ain't gonna break the rear loose either....

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to go to Pirellis.... Hopefully I'll get another 5K miles....
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #2228
Al Theman
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
Hi riders, today I brought home a 09 Tmax with 190 miles on it. I notice it sounds like a siren coming up from behind. Did your's sound like that under 200 miles? Before I rode a Kymco 250Ri, and I'd like to mention I noticed more wind protection on the Kymco down low around the legs and feet. Seems like the floor boards were wider. Maybe the whining noise was the engine being so tight? I'll post pics as soon as I'm allowed too? When can I add attachment photos? Looks like a cool site so far. Enjoyed the video of the bikes in Israel. I live and ride in SE Missouri. Hope this speedo sensor broken thing can be avoided.https://picasaweb.google.com/stonema...41151137558194
Hi, funny you should say that I also have a 2009 TMax purchased new last month. The first time I rode it I thought a cop was coming up behind me when I started to slow down approaching a stoplight. Just had the 600 mile service done and the scoot/bike is fine and power is noticeably improving as the miles mount up. So I would not worry too much about the syren sound, mine seems a little quieter but being an official old fart I could just be getting used to the sound.
Al Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #2229
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Theman View Post
Hi, funny you should say that I also have a 2009 TMax purchased new last month. The first time I rode it I thought a cop was coming up behind me when I started to slow down approaching a stoplight. Just had the 600 mile service done and the scoot/bike is fine and power is noticeably improving as the miles mount up. So I would not worry too much about the syren sound, mine seems a little quieter but being an official old fart I could just be getting used to the sound.
If I get a Tmax this license plate will move over to it.

Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #2230
Al Theman
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
If I get a Tmax this license plate will move over to it.

Ha ha, I love it.
Al Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #2231
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
In case anyone in here needs one I have an oem luggage rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE View Post
Factory luggage or topbox rack. Can be made to fit a variety of topboxes depending on the base you put on it. Is set up for a shad box that I also have for sale. I don't need it as I have givi rack and box on my Tmax.

$60 + shipping.

FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #2232
kinkster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
yeah is there a catch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
anybody want a full yosh system for their max?
how much?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #2233
nikhuzlan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I bought the first run TMax in 2002, and had a lot of fun with it. It was not too bad in the twisties, and had ok power on the straights, but the single front disc did not inspire confidence.

I got bored after two years and wished for more power but instead of modifying the TMax for power, i gave up and turned it into the best, most comfortable touring two wheeler I have ever owned.

I put a roof on the Max.

nikhuzlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #2234
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
And then you took it to a track! Nice job. Got anymore pics from the side?
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #2235
nikhuzlan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE View Post
And then you took it to a track! Nice job. Got anymore pics from the side?
Painted it red later,

TMax power was not enough so I got myself this VTwin.

nikhuzlan is offline   Reply With Quote