Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #3226
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Fair points, and the same goes for Oalvarez's comments, although rather than "lifeless" I'd call it "civil", especially for a superbike motor.

What's amazing (to me) about the Multi is how it's personality can change. I've said it many times before, but it bears repeating: The "modes" aren't a gimmick, they dramatically change the character of the machine. On my commute home yesterday, I was in 5th gear purring along the slab at about 75mph, the motor turning 4k revs. I couldn't even tell it was running. Glass smooth, and just floating along (Touring mode, suspension set for a firm but compliant ride). But add another 1k revs to get the bike into it's "happy zone", and you start getting some feeling of the beast beneath you. Give a twist from that rev level, and the bike responds like a caged animal, especially in Sport mode. You no longer question if you're sitting on a Goldwing or a liter class sport bike.

I've also said this before: If folks want "character" from low revs to high and really feel like they're on a MACHINE, try a Moto Guzzi, or if it's your thing, a Harley. Moto Guzzi's are sometimes referred to as "Italian Harleys", and after owning one and riding a few others, as well as touring on a few Harleys, I'd have to agree. There isn't any point at which you don't feel those bikes.

-SM
Well said...to me the feeling you talk about from Harly and Guzzi comes from the motors being air cooled vs water cooled, my Ulysses had the same feeling.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #3227
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,382
Opinions Pls, MIVV mid-pipe

Hey Gang,

Looking at a used 2010 Multi w/ an MIVV midpipe. The owner does not know much about it so he probably hasn't had the bike long and did not put it on himslef.

What is your opinion on the MIVV midpipe alone on a bike, good or bad ? Did adding a MIVV actually improve anything ? Any concerns I should have ? What did it improve ?

Many thanks,
Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #3228
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Hey Gang,

Looking at a used 2010 Multi w/ an MIVV midpipe. The owner does not know much about it so he probably hasn't had the bike long and did not put it on himslef.

What is your opinion on the MIVV midpipe alone on a bike, good or bad ? Did adding a MIVV actually improve anything ? Any concerns I should have ? What did it improve ?

Many thanks,
I dont have one...but I know putting one on takes a bunch of weight off the bike.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #3229
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Hey Gang,

Many thanks,
MIVV and others are all good. The only one that's different is the Leo Vince because it has a bulge in the middle to help reduce the sound level w/ the stock muffler.

Removing the cat is a good plan on our bikes because the cat adds a LOT of heat down by your feet and in theory is at least partly responsible for some of the rear brake issues (some feel the cat is cooking the fluid).

Take it for a ride, and chop the throttle. If you get excessive popping, you're lean and the bike hasn't been (successfully) remapped for the MIVV. Also, ensure the mechanical exhaust flapper bypass has been installed by confirming that you don't get an error on the dash.

That's about it really. Midpipes are midpipes....no real magic to them. Put the MIVV Suono muffler on that baby and it'll sound SAWEEEET!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #3230
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
I really shouldn't piss and bitch about the Multi mill. It's frankly astonishing that Ducati can get such performance from such a bad ass unit. All props to them.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #3231
gharari
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman View Post
I get tailbone pain after a few hours on the Multistrada which first reminded me of this 2010 MTS review
"...Rider accommodations are generous in the vertical dimension, (but) it becomes clear that tall riders may wish for more wriggle room between the stepped seat and that tapered-steel handlebar. The ensuing riding position focuses body weight on a point directly below your tailbone..."

I feel its the vertical riding position (taken here) that causes my pain on the MTS since I didn't have it on my Yamaha FJR1300:

The 9 forward leaning angle and the extra bit of room to slide backwards on the FJR seem to make it a lot easier on the coccyx...

Anyone know of an aftermarket seat for the MTS1200 that extends to the rear and replaces both rider and pillion seat?
It appears the site/tool you used does not take into account a rider's arm length. Also, you can modify your own seat in order to reduce pressure on your tailbone or get a different seat made for you. Have you seen this? http://diymotorcycleseat.com
gharari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #3232
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,382
Thanks Sockmonkey and sayitaintso
Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #3233
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Bloody hell, just found this vid of a Mutly 12 from behind through some twisting stuff:

Very entertaining. I think I might have underestimated the sports side of this beast. The steering looks magnificent.

Nice riding from the chase bike - a GS. Looks like the Duc pilot - who obviously rides very well - was waiting for him every now and again.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #3234
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Bloody hell, just found this vid of a Mutly 12 from behind through some twisting stuff:

Very entertaining. I think I might have underestimated the sports side of this beast. The steering looks magnificent.

Nice riding from the chase bike - a GS. Looks like the Duc pilot - who obviously rides very well - was waiting for him every now and again.
The GS seems quicker in the twisties, notice the MTS gets away in between the corners but the GS catches up. Looks to me the GS has a higher corner entry speed. GS is a very capable handling bike, on pare with the MTS, let down by 40% less power. I say this as an MTS owner.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #3235
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
From the poster's comment, under the video on YouTube:

"This video was done in Northern Spain, this time strapping the iphone to the GS, sadly the GS could not quite keep me ('yamahay426' aka Spence) in shot, was after a closer view really. Again, I was keeping the revs down and not trying to power out of the corners too much, but the power is quite a lot greater and he struggled to get the GS on me."
Thanks to Spnce for the video :-)"

Still nice riding from the GS guy. Yes, I have ridden one. Looks like he was braking very deep to make up ground. What impressed me was that the Duc guy looked so playful: he was cruising.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #3236
Hercules
"Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post

Here's more MultiStrada 1200 action shots in Balanan Lake in Dumaguete City!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #3237
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

what a sound festival! Very nice
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #3238
bret312
Ducatista

Oddometer: 2
2012 Multistrada 1200 S Touring

Hey Guys. This is my first post. Here's a pic of my Multi. Although this is my first post I've been a lurker off and on for years.

Bret
bret312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #3239
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Beautiful Mutt, Bret. Giggity....new S model in Titanium...very nice.

Loved the video posted by Moronic! Great entertainment! I think the GS rider was better since he was able to brake so late in the corners.

Having only spent about an hour on my riding mate's Multi, and following him on my Tuono Factory, I can attest to its handling...not as tight as a pure sports bike, but dang.......for an all-rounder? Sweetness. His is the base Multi, not the fancy OHlins. I'm sure the ohlins in Sport would be fantastic.
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #3240
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Hey Gang,

Many thanks,
I had the MIVV mid-pipe coupled with the stock cans . Mine seemed to run lean but the Fat Ducs helped that some. My only hesitation with the MIVV is with the "db killers" which may reduce the horsepower (supposedly tested). Without the db killers installed the exhaust sound becomes very loud.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote