User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 552
Finns: Buying & Keeping A Bike In Finland...

I'm seeking the advice of our esteemed Finnish members!

For starters, I'm a Finnish citizen who has never lived in Finland. My mother is Finnish and my father is American. I was born in the USA and have lived there my whole life (though I'm in Romania at the moment, I'll be back in the States soon). I applied for and received my Finnish citizenship about 8 years ago.

While spending this past month in Romania and Greece, it occurred to me that it would be great fun to ride the roads of Europe on a bike (duh?) and I started wondering if being a Finnish citizen gives me any advantage in doing something like buying a bike in Europe, registering it and insuring it in Finland, and then using that as a base to jump off for a few month-long European rides a year.

From my research so far, it seems as though buying in Germany might be the way to go for the sake of price. I'm curious what kind of hurdles I could expect to encounter when trying to register the bike in Finland. My uncles both live in Espoo (and my mother will likely move to Espoo from the States in about 5 years), so that would be where it'd be best to register and store the bike.

Ideally I'd like to get an R1150GS/GSA as then I could simply bring my Jesse cases and other accessories over with me when I head to Finland (or wherever else the bike is being stored at the moment) to start a trip. Perhaps a second set of Jesse mounts for the European bike would be the slick way to go, so all I'd need is the Jesses themselves, the tankbag, and of course my gear.

So, how crazy does that sound? Is it even possible?

Ben Carufel screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 03:27 AM
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote