ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #121
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post


The Crosman 2240 is an awesome pistol / carbine. You should know that even with tuning, CO2 looses power in the cooler months. Best in temps above 70. Check Crooked Barn or Mountain air for tuned new guns.

ChipG
Where did you get the suppressor? AND you don't need any tax stamp or any special dispensation from the Pope to own it right?
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #122
mjydrafter
evil boy for life
 
mjydrafter's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: dsm, ia
Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Where did you get the suppressor? AND you don't need any tax stamp or any special dispensation from the Pope to own it right?
I think you do need the tax stamp for any suppressor, their reasoning is, that it could be converted for use on a "real" gun.
__________________
1974 Suzuki TC-185 (The little 10 speed)
1986 BMW K75c
Quote:
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #123
chipgibbs
ChipG
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Manassas, VA
Oddometer: 120
Not a Suppressor

This is not a supressor, its a muzzle brake. supressors have internal baffles to redirect the noise & gasses. In the airgun world, many high end rifles come with a Shrouded barrell. This is another type of supresion that cannot be removed but, is legal.. In some states, If the suppressor is permanently mounted, it is legal. The one above is just a hollow look a like, or maybe it's not.
I'm pretty sure I got this one from "Crooked Barn"

ChipG
__________________
1991 DR650S Dirt Tractor
1989 Harley Davidson Tour Glide Rocket

ChipG
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #124
4ad
ochlacrat
 
4ad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: mid atlantic...no, not the ocean
Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post
above is just a hollow look a like, or maybe it's not.
ChipG
__________________
This was all fun banter until 4ad posted a pic of a rapist/murderer.- GP640
4ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #125
4ad
ochlacrat
 
4ad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: mid atlantic...no, not the ocean
Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Where did you get the suppressor? AND you don't need any tax stamp or any special dispensation from the Pope to own it right?
The laws vary by state but overall it is a VERY grey area concerning a suppressor that can "easily" be modified to fit a firearm...I can "easily" make one out of a water bottle if I wanted to.

I find it funny that in the UK, you're expected to have a suppressor on an airgun...yet they limit the power. here in the states, no suppressor but you can own a honking 50 cal. pushed by 3000 psi.
__________________
This was all fun banter until 4ad posted a pic of a rapist/murderer.- GP640
4ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #126
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Glendo, WY- Pop. 230
Oddometer: 5,964
Which one to get for pest elimination-- BSA Lightning XL or RWS 350 Feuerkraft?

Both are about the same price, both are .177 with the BSA at 1000 FPS, and the RWS at 1250. A scope is included with both.

The BSA claims to have a "slimline silencer" while the RWS has a "muzzle brake" (on a pellet gun?). I live in town, so stealth is an important consideration.

Anyone got any insights?

The bird shit is building up on my fence, truck, patio, etc., & something has to be done.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #127
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Which one to get for pest elimination-- BSA Lightning XL or RWS 350 Feuerkraft?

Both are about the same price, both are .177 with the BSA at 1000 FPS, and the RWS at 1250. A scope is included with both.

The BSA claims to have a "slimline silencer" while the RWS has a "muzzle brake" (on a pellet gun?). I live in town, so stealth is an important consideration.

Anyone got any insights?

The bird shit is building up on my fence, truck, patio, etc., & something has to be done.
You really don't need that kind if velocity to eliminate small birds. Also, over-powered "magnum" guns like those have a lot of recoil and are hard to shoot accurately. Seriously, an air rifle that shoots in the 600fps range is PLENTY for small birds.
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Mr. B screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 07:52 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #128
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,786
In general, a lower powered air gun will also be quieter, too.
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #129
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,117
The other thing you have to remember is the FPS #'s that are given are kinda like horse power in lawn mowers....we just have not had the law suit yet. They are a best case result, the right pellet, the right weather...bla bla bla.

It is true you could get by with something different....but if there are different pests you may need to use the rifle on that could sway you one way or the other. Also just because it is an air rifle don't think for a second it will not over penn. Remember one of the rules of guns in general.

Know your target and know what is behind it.

With the rifles you talked about you could put a pellet right through it.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #130
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer
 
PunkinHead's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Walmart Shoppers
Oddometer: 5,509
I see the difference between the QB78 & 79 but I'm wondering what the AR2078 & AR2079 get you. Nicer stock and a peep sight?
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #131
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Glendo, WY- Pop. 230
Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
You really don't need that kind if velocity to eliminate small birds. Also, over-powered "magnum" guns like those have a lot of recoil and are hard to shoot accurately. Seriously, an air rifle that shoots in the 600fps range is PLENTY for small birds.
Squirrels, too-- I mentioned that in a previous inquiry.

As for recoil, I shoot an AR, so I would think I would be at home with a pellet gun's recoil.

Thanks for the insights, but what I'm really looking for is a comparison/contrast of BSA vs. RWS build quality, reliability, owner satisfaction, that kind of thing.

The point about the noise level at that velocity is well taken, and noise is a primary consideration here, so I continue to ruminate on the question...
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #132
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Glendo, WY- Pop. 230
Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The other thing you have to remember is the FPS #'s that are given are kinda like horse power in lawn mowers....we just have not had the law suit yet. They are a best case result, the right pellet, the right weather...bla bla bla.

It is true you could get by with something different....but if there are different pests you may need to use the rifle on that could sway you one way or the other. Also just because it is an air rifle don't think for a second it will not over penn. Remember one of the rules of guns in general.

Know your target and know what is behind it.

With the rifles you talked about you could put a pellet right through it.
FP, good point on the FPS: I was thinking that was a best-case figure & that is one of the reasons I want to err on the side of overpowered.

Also, what is "over penn"?

As for the rules, I was schooled in these from a very young age by a father who VERY intolerant of infractions in this area. It's second nature by now.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #133
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Squirrels, too-- I mentioned that in a previous inquiry.

As for recoil, I shoot an AR, so I would think I would be at home with a pellet gun's recoil.

Thanks for the insights, but what I'm really looking for is a comparison/contrast of BSA vs. RWS build quality, reliability, owner satisfaction, that kind of thing.

The point about the noise level at that velocity is well taken, and noise is a primary consideration here, so I continue to ruminate on the question...
What's an "AR"? If you mean that you already shoot an air rifle, then you probably know that spring piston-type air guns have a different recoil from a firearm. The recoil is in both directions. In one of those super-magnum air rifles, the recoil is especially sharp--sharper than many firearms. This double recoil also destroys scopes not designed for airguns.

The effect of this is that the pellet hasn't left the barrel before the gun is finished it's secondary recoil. This causes inaccuracy if you don't have a well-practiced and consistent hold on the gun and maintain a follow-through (very important).

More than you wanted to know about firing behavior?

I'm not familiar with the BSA and RWS models you mentioned.

And I'm sure FB was talking about "over penetration." If you are shooting in your back yard, you don't want that 1250 FPS pellet to blow through that bird (or squirrel) and continue through the neighborhood.

BTW, I've taken countless squirrels with 600-700 FPS guns.
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Mr. B screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 03:37 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #134
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Maybe you folks can help me here as I'm pretty air gun ignorant.

My dad gave us a Daisy/Winchester .177 rifle and I tried taking it to the range. It wouldn't really move my plastic hopping reactive target (that's okay I guess), but when I was trying to shoot it at my paper target with plastic backer, the pellets would just bounce off

Do I need to figure out a backer-less paper target to get the thing sighted in? I guess I wouldn't mind trying it for target shooting some time, but I can't ever tell if I'm hitting the target
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #135
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
FP, good point on the FPS: I was thinking that was a best-case figure & that is one of the reasons I want to err on the side of overpowered.

Also, what is "over penn"?

As for the rules, I was schooled in these from a very young age by a father who VERY intolerant of infractions in this area. It's second nature by now.
Sorry over penetrate....not typing too well these days and try to cut stuff short if I can.

I have an older RWS 34....and it is great....my problem is with my current health problems I can't cock the thing....this is why I have been looking for CO2 rifles. Actually I am not sure if my gun is labeled RWS or Dana....I think tha one bought the other, or something like that....not sure.

I also have two Gamo air guns one 440 and I am not sure what the other is, I think it is bigger but I can't really run down stairs to check....if anyone wants to know next time I am down I will pull it out of the safe and look.

Both gamo guns are about 8 years old or so....the rws going on 20. The gamo guns I got from cabelas bargin cave and IIRC they were under $150 each. Both will put a pellet through a soup can at (I am guessing) 20-30 yards or so....and they are a little on the loud side....I would say just a tick softer then a subsonic 22 from a rifle...but not by much.

Sorry I missed the tree rats in there as well. I know this will likely start a storm as it has happend at least one time in this threat but I would do a .22 rifle....yes yes I know a 177 will work, and you will loose some FPS with the 22, but I always thought that the larger would be better on sqirrel sized critters.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014