Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #3016
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
One more question for you BigDog. In you packing video you said you have the small Wolfman Exoidition dry bag which is listed on the Wolfman web site as being 20inches wide. How well does your REI tent poles fit in it since the quarter dome tent is listed a pack size of 20 inches wide? I saw that you pack your tent and poles separately, but I'm guessing the poles are 20 inches long folded. My Marmot Limelight poles are 20 inches long and want to make sure I get the right bag on the first shot.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Well not specific-------but bunches of them throughout ride reports on my website.

I've got 2 main tents I use----never a one man tent---got to have room for some gear.

My favorite is the REI quarter dome plus---2 man---but is extra big for big tall guys----and my
favorite part is that the walls go almost straight up so if it's raining you not apt to touch the walls and
bring in moisture. Only downside---the poles are a little longish.
I took it to Alaska as it's so roomy and it rains so much up there I thought I might be spending
extended periods of time in it-----turns out we didn't have to---we were lucky with the rain---and skeeters.

Here it is up in British Columbia---it has 2 large vestibules

Here it is without the fly.
]

My other tent packs smaller---it's a 2 man Eureka BackCountry II.

BigDog
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #3017
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
tent poles

Steve_k,

I just went out and measured things again to make sure----the bag is 20" long---so I think I was right in saying it was a small.
However my REI QuarterDome plus poles are a full 21" long---as is the tent-----and that is the tent I packed to Alaska for a month. It was tight---but they went in with no damage to the bag.
So you should be good to go.

In my video-----I had taken my Eureka Backcountry II----it's poles are only 15" long---that whole tent packs
in there so much better.

I do think the medium or large dry bag would overwhelm a small bike.
If I didn't say---I use the same exact packing on my 950--same bags---same duffel.
I wouldn't even want the medium on that bike.

Mark
BigDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
One more question for you BigDog. In you packing video you said you have the small Wolfman Exoidition dry bag which is listed on the Wolfman web site as being 20inches wide. How well does your REI tent poles fit in it since the quarter dome tent is listed a pack size of 20 inches wide? I saw that you pack your tent and poles separately, but I'm guessing the poles are 20 inches long folded. My Marmot Limelight poles are 20 inches long and want to make sure I get the right bag on the first shot.

Thanks again
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #3018
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post

Thanks again
Sorry to hijack, but it would be longer than 20" across the diagonal if you could pack them that way.
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #3019
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-GS View Post
I think I'd attach the tent to the RIGHT side of the bike. Call me paranoid, but I'd be afraid of the bike tipping over in the middle of the night and squishing my pumpkin.

Funny you should say that, at first I had it set up on the other issde and did almost pull the bike over on me. Either way, a tent peg and strap to the bars on the opposite side of set up covers the problem.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #3020
pfarrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
packed
unpacked
coffee time

full camping kit in one box, tools in pillion area on top of 2 gal rotopax, clothes in other box, camera kit in tank bag, food and lighter items in dry bag on rear, no time limit on ride.

next trip, i'd get the lower tank bag or ditch all together and get a small top box to handle the camera gear.
no issues with the tank bag...it just annoys me a bit...but it's not in the way while standing and it kept everything
dry for 3 straight days of rain...also consider getting the kreiga soft bags instead of hard cases to further drop weight.

pfarrell screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 09:17 AM
pfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #3021
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-GS View Post
I think I'd attach the tent to the RIGHT side of the bike. Call me paranoid, but I'd be afraid of the bike tipping over in the middle of the night and squishing my pumpkin.
With that style tent many had shown them on the right side - and the primary objection was pulling the bike over and attach it to the left side instead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Funny you should say that, at first I had it set up on the other issde and did almost pull the bike over on me. Either way, a tent peg and strap to the bars on the opposite side of set up covers the problem.
I think it is less likely to pull over from the left side than the right - and as you said just stake it on the opposing side solves it all.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #3022
A Biagi
n00b

Oddometer: 1
GS Camping in Dingman's Ferry, PA

I was the pack mule on this trip, but my fiance and I did get to swap so I had some time on his S4 Monster. Call me crazy, but I prefer the GS, even with all that extra weight!
A Biagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #3023
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Biagi View Post
I was the pack mule on this trip, but my fiance and I did get to swap so I had some time on his S4 Monster. Call me crazy, but I prefer the GS, even with all that extra weight!
Nice first post.
Nice GS too.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #3024
AirstreamBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I rode most of the CDR with a wolf man tank bag and a large Seattle Sports duffle on the back. I secured the bag with some generic straps crossed front to back, and ended up adding some para-cord tie downs from each end of the bag to the passenger foot pegs to add some stability.

AirstreamBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #3025
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
My old set up. Way too much shit.

My New rig.

Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #3026
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Questions on your old setup... Is that the Wolfman side racks and bags with the Rotopax mount? If so, how did you like it? Second, how functional is the TT skid plate with storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post

My New rig.

steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #3027
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post

My New rig.

Slick setup. What pieces of gear did you eliminate to pare things down?
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #3028
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
we need a pic sans helmet for your second post!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #3029
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,871
Quote:
...I prefer the GS, even with all that extra weight!
Nope, not crazy at all.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #3030
Ish
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLight View Post
Wlfman, is that a Hammock Bliss No See Um No More hammock? I have one of those...haven't seen many others using it, even on hammock forums. How do you like it? I have yet to use mine overnight, just napping and relaxing.
I've gone on a bunch of motorcycle camping trips with mine. It's super comfortable, dry and compact for packing. I like it a lot better than a tent.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote