User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
Spousal Unit
Concubine

Oddometer: 72
ALCAN Rider,
Sorry to miss you in Fairbanks, hope the run back to Glenallen went well.....get that tire fixed ! Cinnamon buns in Braeburn await no one!
See you in Dawson
07 F650GS Thumper / 11 F650GS Twin
Spousal Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
.......alone and friendless.......
Pretty soon you'll have 250-some-odd new friends!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post
odd new friends!
You got that right!
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Alcan did tow yday. It almost killed me. The border guard couldn't believe his eyes when I rolled up. Said.....ummm we don't get sportbikes up here. Freshly graded gravel no tracks to ride in met grader on corner of switchback hailstorm and construction throgh chicken.

On a streetbike with street tires runing full spec compression. G9d times!

Made it thru without a spill but it took me forever fastest I good go was 35 mph on a good section and 25 on bad before bike started the jitterbug to toss me off.

Lots of dep potholes and ridged ashphalt that would grag the front tire. Sorry typing on phone.

See you soon! In dawson off course.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Did tow on Monday and weather was perfect. No problems. The Dalton was the same. Very easy when dry. We changed a flat for an elderly couple on the Alcan at elevation and believe we were given good weather from the motorcycle gods.
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #21
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,587
Came over the Top yesterday. Rained a bit before we hit it and it kept the dust down and the speeds up. A bit more road damage on the CDN side then I remembered but no problems.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,211
[QUOTE=theshnizzle;18950691]Alcan did tow yday. It almost killed me. The border guard couldn't believe his eyes when I rolled up. Said.....ummm we don't get sportbikes up here. Freshly graded gravel no tracks to ride in met grader on corner of switchback hailstorm and construction throgh chicken.

Made it thru without a spill but it took me forever fastest I good go was 35 mph on a good section and 25 on bad before bike started the jitterbug to toss me off.

Lots of dep potholes and ridged ashphalt that would grag the front tire. Sorry typing on phone.

Make sure you bring it by the Hotel!

Nice to have met ya.
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541 View Post
Hammock
I ride a 1200 GSA with tourances but rode Alaska 2 up on a rental GSA with Michelin analee. They are a little better off road than the tourances. I lowered the tire pressure 5 psi before I hit the dirt roads and rode the Dalton, top of the world and Denali. Where and why did you turn back on Denali. We road it on June 1 and it rained and snowed on us for about 1/2 way. We also came close going down in the 2 mile stretch of what my wife called chocolate pudding. It had water standing and mud with 6 inch deep ruts for 2 miles! White knuckle for me.
Top of the world was not as good as the Denali but still fair but also has some dark colored soft spots that could be bad. There is also a detour that while good is very slippery when wet. When we rode top of the world we started on the Dawson side and it was raining, snowing, wind blowing and very, very foggy. The weather cleared but the bare dirt was a little slippery. However it was a fantastic ride!
1 thing I learned was that weather is the game changer and changes often and fast. We loved our adventure.
We turned back probably somewhere four to six miles into the muck on the Cantwell side. Both of us almost went down and we hadn't even made it to the standing water rutted area. It was slicker than snot. Had rained steady the night before and was still steady rain when we started. Our wives had to walk about a mile back before we felt comfortable getting them back on the bikes. The road drops off a fair amount on each side. If the bike slid over the side you could get hurt pretty bad.

We ignored the warnings of a highway worker a few miles closer to Cantwell. Pretty stupid but nobody was hurt.

It's too bad because I hear the scenery is incredible. Oh well, at least we were able to do the Dalton and TOW.

The Dalton and TOW were a piece of cake because it was dry. Hell it was 76 degrees at the Artic Circle. I am sure the Denali is easy when it's dry.

I'm convinced the Dalton and TOW could both be a nightmare in the rain. I'm sure many a person has cruise up the Dalton on Tourances with dry weather only to awake to a nightmare ride on the way back.

If I make it back to AK I will be having knobbies installed in Fairbanks.
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #24
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Quote:
Hey alcan....is tow very do able in the dry? I see you just did it. I may be in watson lake tonight or very close to. If I want to get into al but also DC and the tow is to muddy, I guess I have to backtrack down and up again. And that looks lime it will take a full day ride.

Also how long is the unpaved section? Weather forecast looks not good for the next several days but sun is in the works every day for the dempster.
Quote:
ey alcan, I am here in whitehorse,another night of camping in the rain,yay. I think I may chill here today as I am pretty early for the rally and sitch doing the dempster maybe. I will do tow tho, the trip has been a lot more exhausting and arduous than i thought and 800 miles of grave may be more than I can handle at this point.

Plus I am alone and I dont have anyone to ride it with,sadly.......poor me....lol.......alone and friendless.......
Quote:
Alcan did tow yday. It almost killed me. The border guard couldn't believe his eyes when I rolled up. Said.....ummm we don't get sportbikes up here. Freshly graded gravel no tracks to ride in met grader on corner of switchback hailstorm and construction throgh chicken.

Nice to have met ya!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTroy View Post
Nice to have met ya!
And I second that! ^ Great photo of some great gals! That's KLR riding Whitney and KTM riding Stacie on the right of the photo.

Man the TOW was might loose on the other side of Chicken! I thought about pulling over to see if I had a flat when I'd get to a hard packed stretch and give the bike a shake to see if she felt solid. One guy said he DID pull to check his tires and another guy said he pulled over twice! I was on some worn Tourances this trip. Kinda squirrely but still fun!

Great seeing everyone. Second Place Slow Bike Race guy, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 11:22 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #26
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

I'll tell ya you weren't the only one! First I thought I had a flat. Then for sure figured low tire pressure.

Nope. Just a loose, marblly, ass puckering fun.

(Fyi, mark if you delete the pic in your quote we won't have a bunch of duplicate pics)
Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #27
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Tow

I put TKC's on the GS for the first time ever. After 13 trips over the TOW on various bikes it seemed like the road was better than ever. Do I like knobbies-OH Ya.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote