Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #31
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
SKIP ROSWELL. There is so many better area's of NM to ride, like the stuff Barlucci recommended. Do his route. Pass on Roswell. I have ridden NM for over 25 years and that part of the state is NOT where I go. Trust me....
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #32
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlucci View Post
I live in Albuquerque, and have to agree, SKIP ROSWELL!
there is SO much more to see while passing through New Mexico.If your coming in on I-40, just before you get to Albuquerque, if your not stopping here, head north just before you go through the mountain pass. turn north on 14 in Tejeres, and that will take you up to Santa Fe. When your done there, I highly recommend riding the "High road" to Taos, then taking 64 west to Tierra Amarilla, and Tres Piedres, then north to Chama, and on up to Pagosa Springs.
Lots of beautiful country, and great curvy roads. ;)
Your a welcome to PM me if you want some more suggestions as to routes...

Bart
+1, Roswell will be 103* and not much to see. If you do southern NM ride to Ruidoso but it is on fire and take 244 to Cloudcroft then ride out to Sunspot to Timberon if you want to have some fun. The Sacramento Mountians are a small riding treasure but you have to ride thru a hot desert to get here unless you live 5 miles away . Come visit Southern NM in the fall, a dry winter or spring when it gets cold up north.

I would miss Abq as the cages will try to kill you there. Sante Fe and north of there to Espanola is a race track but the High Road to Taos is very nice. Taos will take 15 mintues to go thru but the Enchanted Circle is nice, Angle Fire, Eagles Nest, Red River but it was 32* in Eagles Nest last Wednesday am at 5:30 with a herd of elk standing on the road. 64 west of Taos is wonderful, in CO take155 from Delores to Ridgeway but watch for Deer or the Million Dollar hiway Silverton to Ouray. Take 92 west of Gunnison across the dam at the end of the lake and ride up the hill to see the best views (Black Canyon of the Gunnison) in CO and back down. Ride this one in the morning to experience the "moment". Then head south of Gunnison on 149 to South Fork and you will . Ride east to La Veta on 160 and head south on 12 over Cuchara Pass and you will thank me later.

Have fun and be safe!!
Gillus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #33
NL7U
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
roswell

OK, I also think to skip Roswell. I was stationed there in the early '60's and never did see an alien, or even the smell of one, and I was in every building on that base (Walker AFB) as an electrician.

That being said, to the west of there is White Sands Nat. Monument, Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, and quite a few places where you can travel 100 miles in just ONE HOUR (or less, if you are brave). Look on the bright side, riding is not all twisty roads and mountains.
http://larryherbert.blogspot.com
NL7U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,150
Sand Springs Oklahoma

Hello riders
I read you are trailering to OKC, I am an 1 1/2 hrs east near Tulsa Oklahoma. If you don't have a connection in OKC to leave your Vehicle. You are welcome to leave it at my place. I can also steer you twards the Colorado Mountains. I go at least once a year. Send Pm if interested, if not have a great trip.
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
we're beginning our trip hauling the bikes on the trailer from Atlanta to OKC...our time constraints, boring interstates, save tire wear.
Um... Why not trailer all the way to Santa Fe?

If you don't like I-40 East of OKC, I don't see you liking it West of OKC.

Oh, and skip Roswell unless you just happen to be going through.

Nine days will not be much time to get very deep into the States you're going to be riding through..
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #36
Tragic Image
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailNtent View Post
I also live in Albuquerque, skip Roswell. The terrain is flat and the roads are straight. Save it for another trip, and hit up Carlsbad Caverns when you're in that pat of the state.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
I lived in Alamogordo for a long while.

Skip Roswell, visit Carlsbad Caverns if you can.
Tragic Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #37
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Nancy, I hope you and Eddie have a good safe trip!
thanks Dan, and thanks for sharing your map routes with Eddie. We knew you & Sarah had ridden out there and would have some suggestions for us. Getting super excited now...Eddie put new chain and sprockets and tires on the bikes, been getting some tools and supplies lain out and ready for the trip. The clock is ticking down
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #38
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by little foot View Post
Hello riders
I read you are trailering to OKC, I am an 1 1/2 hrs east near Tulsa Oklahoma. If you don't have a connection in OKC to leave your Vehicle. You are welcome to leave it at my place. I can also steer you twards the Colorado Mountains. I go at least once a year. Send Pm if interested, if not have a great trip.

Thanks so much, this site is full of amazing people and we appreciate the offer.

We found an ADVer on the tent space list and he has graciously accepted our request to park and unload on his land just south of OKC.

OKC just seemed like a good starting/stopping point. The interstate runs right through there. There's not much left of Oklahoma to ride after that, and it'll give us another state checked off our "to ride" list. You know, coloring in those states is important LOL
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #39
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
+1, Roswell will be 103* and not much to see. If you do southern NM ride to Ruidoso but it is on fire and take 244 to Cloudcroft then ride out to Sunspot to Timberon if you want to have some fun. The Sacramento Mountians are a small riding treasure but you have to ride thru a hot desert to get here unless you live 5 miles away . Come visit Southern NM in the fall, a dry winter or spring when it gets cold up north.

I would miss Abq as the cages will try to kill you there. Sante Fe and north of there to Espanola is a race track but the High Road to Taos is very nice. Taos will take 15 mintues to go thru but the Enchanted Circle is nice, Angle Fire, Eagles Nest, Red River but it was 32* in Eagles Nest last Wednesday am at 5:30 with a herd of elk standing on the road. 64 west of Taos is wonderful, in CO take155 from Delores to Ridgeway but watch for Deer or the Million Dollar hiway Silverton to Ouray. Take 92 west of Gunnison across the dam at the end of the lake and ride up the hill to see the best views (Black Canyon of the Gunnison) in CO and back down. Ride this one in the morning to experience the "moment". Then head south of Gunnison on 149 to South Fork and you will . Ride east to La Veta on 160 and head south on 12 over Cuchara Pass and you will thank me later.

Have fun and be safe!!
Wow...thanks so much! I think Eddie has all of those spots/roads on the planned route. We hardly ever stick to our "planned" route though...so we'll see what happens. I'm heading to mapquest to see if I can follow your suggestions....but from northern New Mexico we're heading west to 4 corners then north into (southern Utah) and west through southern Colorado. Something like that.

It's almost time to start checking the weather forecasts

thanks for the warning about Santa Fe cagers....Montreal was the worst ever, they absolutely try to run you over there and I don't think they'd blink twice if they did. Riding through Milan Italy and other large European cities was about the same, but having the "legal" option to filter (lane-split) made it FUN FUN FUN! I typically do that here in Atlanta traffic, but only when traffic is at a crawl or a stop. Had a couple of cagers open their doors or pull their bumper in to block me, but more times than that I've had cagers flip their mirrors in or move over to the far side of their lane to allow me more room to pass. Lane splitting should be legal here in the US...top of my wish list.

Vixen screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 08:25 AM
Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #40
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks FotoTex and NL7U for the votes, and anyone else that I missed.

Love the people on this site!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #41
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
Once you're in OKC, You've still got 400+ miles of flat, Boring, and FREAKING HOT before you get to anything..

I'd definately trailer as far west as you can...There's nothing to see here unless you want to see the Murah Memorial and be depressed....

I've ridden from OKC to Red River NM... It's not any fun till the last fifty miles... The trip is 550 miles long.. I hope you see what I'm getting at..

Skip OKC and use that time to explore the good stuff...

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #42
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen View Post
Once you're in OKC, You've still got 400+ miles of flat, Boring, and FREAKING HOT before you get to anything..

I'd definately trailer as far west as you can...There's nothing to see here unless you want to see the Murah Memorial and be depressed....

I've ridden from OKC to Red River NM... It's not any fun till the last fifty miles... The trip is 550 miles long.. I hope you see what I'm getting at..

Skip OKC and use that time to explore the good stuff...

John
thanks John. I know it's a trek, but seeing as we'll be unloading the bikes on Friday around noon, we figured the first bit of riding on Friday afternoon won't really matter. It'll mostly be about covering that ground and finding a camping spot for the night, the real adventure will be starting Saturday morning. We're normally adverse to trailering, I think OKC is about as far as I want to travel by cage.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #43
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:

...and it'll give us another state checked off our "to ride" list. You know, coloring in those states is important LOL
You bet, it's all about coloring in those states!

Have a great trip!
Eyes Shut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #44
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
You bet, it's all about coloring in those states!

Have a great trip!

sweet! looks like you're all out of places to ride .... or do I see a white spot in the pacific?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #45
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
I know it's a trek, but seeing as we'll be unloading the bikes on Friday around noon, we figured the first bit of riding on Friday afternoon won't really matter.
Depending upon how far you're willing to ride, there are a couple state parks you could camp at along the way: Boiling Springs State Park at Woodward (B), or Black Mesa State Park near Kenton (C).

Then ride NM-456 and NM-72 into Raton. These are a couple of fun roads to run coming/going from Oklahoma into Northern New Mexico:

View Larger Map

There is also Black Kettle Rec Area in western Oklahoma and Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo for camping. Then, you can grab some twisties North of Tucumcari before getting to the Sangre de Cristos.

View Larger Map

There is some good riding in Northeastern NM, before you get to I-25, if you know where to look...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 03:25 AM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote