Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #31
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Did the dealer mount the cases? He may have increased the pressure. If you are loaded or two up you need to be at 34-35 front and 38-40 rear. You also need to try another gauge to verify yours is close. Did you check the preload and dampening?? Did you change it when you removed the casses? GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #32
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
And I decreased the tire pressure from 40 psi to 32 psi (fwd) and 50 psi (!!!) to 35 psi in the rear.
That's very high!!!!! With luggage, I have mine at 36 front and 42 rear. My BMW dealer told me to keep them at this even when I've no luggage; I've done this and am fine. I wouldn't, however, go above this - I'm sure that you having yours at 40 / 50 was the reason for at least some of your issues (most?).
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #33
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurodude View Post
That's very high!!!!! With luggage, I have mine at 36 front and 42 rear. My BMW dealer told me to keep them at this even when I've no luggage; I've done this and am fine. I wouldn't, however, go above this - I'm sure that you having yours at 40 / 50 was the reason for at least some of your issues (most?).
Assuming his gauge is correct. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by endurodude View Post
that's very high!!!!! With luggage, i have mine at 36 front and 42 rear...
+1
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #35
Tinytags7
Banned

Oddometer: 5
I have your problem when riding in the wind i would feel all shaky in the road and really tense my hands and back and after i got really sore, unfortunately its just a confidence thing, I just go out riding a lot now and pass big cars/trucks and im fine now, just practice to build confidence.
Tinytags7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #36
seaswood
seaswood

Oddometer: 169
Handling

Build confidence, I have the V stream although not the big one, wind hits somewhere eye level or so.
Once you are confident put the bags back on. I have the same size bags each side, Same handling on as off.
Remember farkles are made to come off also. Less is more.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #37
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
If the dealer gave you a bike with 50lbs in the rear tire, you probably will want to set the pre-load and the rebound back to stock settings on the rear suspension.
Use the tire pressure monitor on the computer, use the lower push button on the computer to toggle between the mileage and trip counters to get to the tire pressure monitor. They must roll a certain amount after startup before they give you a reading.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #38
Barbadi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Wildman is right

Its a mater of body angles on the bike. I ride an f 658 gs also and it took me sometime to find the right angles for my dimentions. Note that it is VERY different from one rider to anoher.

Try this:
With the zegas off and their bars off the bike, take the airhawk off your sadle. Put air tire pressure, suspention preload and dumping to the standards as mentioned to the bmw owners manual.

My best quess is that you are sort figured or have small arms so you lean too much to catch the handle bar (or the brake and clutch levers) -thus your neck strain, and because of that your hands are in a stiff -stretched position. Also this may cause all the trembling because the hands are not properly bend for driving. This might have caused you to lean left because your right hand is pulling your body inside (the left side has to go "outside" ) as you open the throtlle.

Try changing your steering bar position frond or back and see how that changes your posture on the bike. Bear in mind that even when you thing that pulling it back might be more "comfortable" it might not be so because your weight is not distributed properly when it is all hanged over your belly. Try also the opposite, to the front, ride and see what happens.

If the problem stays try loosening the front brake and clutch lever bases and move them up or down and go for a ride, to see how your body feels. It is a common mistake that if the levers are in angles that allow your elbows to fall down by your side you will be comfortable but usually it cause problems like your leaning to the left. Remember its an on-off bike you are supposed to ride it sittin upright not leaning back like a virago. Then combine lever and steering bar angles.

Remember that bar risers might help but if you are overstreched on the bike (I was and I am 172 cm high) only barbacks really solve the problem. I use the sw motech ones.

Parallel universe bike ergonomics are tricky. I had to combike the barbacks with the bmw comfort saddle and the givi screen to really feel ok on my bike and tried a lot of things and angles.

Good luck.

PS : What hight are you?
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #39
VikB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
So, here's the Quiz:

Is it the tire pressure?
Is it the removing of the Zega Pros?
Is it the windshield?

... that solved the off-center position?
Answer this for yourself by trying one thing at a time. That's the process you'll need to follow when you are someplace remote without internet access and your bike starts acting funny.

I'm glad things are moving in the right direction for you...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #40
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I didn't read all the responses so it may have already been mentioned. But if your shaking like a leaf at speed check to make sure your jacket fits correctly. If your jacket is to big or air blows inside of it and puffs up like the Michelin man it can cause all kinds of wonky handling. Over the years I have had several people say they are not comfortable at speed. After riding behind them and seeing their jacket puff up and shake all over the place its easy to see why they are nervous.
Ride-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #41
B-B

Oddometer: 153
I had the exact same issue with my bike on the freeway when it was new, and it turned out the tire pressure was, like yours, through the roof. The bike felt jittery and uncontrollable, that leads to the "death grip", and that leads to you imparting weird things like 6" lean. I dropped the pressure to reasonable levels and the difference was night/day.
B-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #42
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
Barbadi...

I'm 5,8, normal seam, normal all (except 10 kg too many...). Fact is that with the small windshield and lower air pressure and no Zega cases, the bike is very different. I'm riding back to twom wednesday for the 1600 km break-in oil chyange, and I'll be riding highway and intense urnban street. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your excellent advice and input.

PS : What hight are you?[/QUOTE]
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #43
Barbadi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
We are about the same height...

and I used to have similar issues as I rode with totally stretchd hands elbows and neck ...so my guess is that if you try a set of barbacks -not just risers- that take the handlebars towards you for about 2 to 3 cm you will be extremelly happy with your bike. Just remember to unbolt the little plastic lock guard in the case of the sw motech barbacks cause it will engage in full lock.
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #44
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 689
I'm not familiar at all with the particular bike, but I'll give some general info.

Going on a long trip like that, you must be able to do some basic maintenance. You might as well start now by going over a few things, most importantly setting your suspension for your traveling weight. You'll be absolutely amazed at what proper sag can do for your riding enjoyment.
It sounds like you've already looked at tire pressure, but you may want to experiment a little with the pressure, especially in the front. Again, a few pounds of pressure can make the bike feel completely different.
Did your list of farkles include a cruise control, or throttle lock? If so, try taking your hands off the handle bars while cruising, and see if the bike tracks straight.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #45
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
My hans off???

Did your list of farkles include a cruise control, or throttle lock? If so, try taking your hands off the handle bars while cruising, and see if the bike tracks straight.[/QUOTE]

Holy Mollllly!!!! Yes I have cruise, but I'll tell ya, my hands are glued to the bars...
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote