ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #31
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
i went from a xr650l to a 1150gs then back to a f650gs and love the gs. the 1150 had a lot of power but was too big and heavy.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #32
ntm1973 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
250 blows getting up steep stuff. You get so high in the rev range that it's just a pain dealing with all the spin. Too bad the japanese makers don't make a 450 ds bike because it is so nice chugging up something with torque
What 250 are you talking about? Are there any 250's that have decent torque for hill climbing that can still run on the highway?

It's funny because as bad as the KLR650 is at a lot of stuff, it's hard to give up it's mediocrity at everything. Sometimes when you clean a steep hill or a technical section on the klr, you look back and think "I can't believe I just made it through that" Hopefully that feeling of accomplishment/relief still exist with a smaller bike
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #33
mookybird
Gramps
 
mookybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington State
Oddometer: 213
I wanted to see how a smaller bike would go and didn't really want to spend a lot of money in the process, I found a clean low time xr400 and got it plated for under 2K.

I hadn't kicked a bike for several years and was way more concerned than necessary, it is an easy starter and if I do my part it idles away after one kick, hot or cold.

The countershaft sprocket changes very quickly and I run the road gears and switch out when I get to the woods. It will cruise faster than I enjoy riding an unfaired dirtbike and has plenty of go for passing into the 70's

Just a thought for those following this thread and being aircooled with minimal electrics there isn't much to go wrong if you buy a well maintained one. And as to the torque / hillclimbing aspect, if it's geared to top out around fifty in fifth it will be a tractor in the first three.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #34
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: 10,000 Lakes Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,427
It's funny because as bad as the KLR650 is at a lot of stuff,
it's hard to give up it's mediocrity at everything (quote from NTM1973, shown above).


I really like that synopsis or statement.
It's a great statement. Kawasaki, if they cared, could use it to sell yet more KLR's.

Here's my own blurt:

The KLR 650 is the Swiss Army adjustable metric crescent wrench of two-wheeled farm machinery. While potentially ill suited to "many things", it's donkey stupid enough to be willing to TRYING ANYTHING.
__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks.
Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”


~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #35
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
What 250 are you talking about?
i have a te 250 and it is briiliant at everything singletrack except the climbs and rock gardens. Since it has low power it uses a 120 section rear tire so it has that much less grip , and if you can imagine 7000 rpms over rocks you get the idea
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #36
MC_Collector
Riding Again!
 
MC_Collector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Longshot, Mississippi
Oddometer: 85
Small bikes rock

My wife and I have a stable ranging from a 1972 Honda Trail 90 to a 2005 Gold Wing 1800. We have two Yamaha XT225's, a nearly perfectly preserved and running 1977 Yamaha DT250 2 stroke and a 2008 KLR 650.

Unless I'm going on a long road trip the XT225 is usually what I choose. A seat concepts seat kit, a rack with the JC Whitney case and the Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield really help convenience and comfort a lot. I've taken many 200+ mile day rides and it is a blast to me. Light equals easily controllable in the dirt. The DT250 is about the same, but only gets ~40 mpg at best which limits the range a lot. Most roads around here are rural so the low top end is really not an issue.
__________________
Dusty Evans
MC_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #37
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer
 
redbastard's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Rat City
Oddometer: 1,122
Get a dirt bike

A purpose built bike like a KTM XC200 would be much lighter and more powerfull than any 250 dual sport. YOu just can't beat having the right tool for the right job. I have a Yamaha WR250F with a plate on it. It's great up to 45mph, but it''s a dirt bike and high on maintenance. I made the move last year from a ktm 950 to a 650 enduro bike, and jumping logs is out on the 650 as is trying to keep up to the 250s in the woods, but for a do everything bike it works well.
If you can swing getting a cheap dirt bike and keeping your KLR I think you wont regret it.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #38
el tortuga
Studly Adventurer
 
el tortuga's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: at a desk
Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
What 250 are you talking about? Are there any 250's that have decent torque for hill climbing that can still run on the highway?


Sometimes I've played around with some attempts at climbing tall dunes on my WR250R and have failed and a KLR has managed (barely and with a lot of work) to clear it. But, is that important for the OP?

In real world riding my WR has done everything I would try on my KLR except sustained 80 mph riding and 2 up. And when the trails get really bad, the WR whips the KLR's ass. Of course this statement means me as the pilot.
I ridden with high-skilled guys that have KLR's and they can go everywhere I do so the rider plays an important role in this, no doubt. But at the end of the day I'm still pretty fresh and they're beat. The other thing is, their KLR's are stripped down for off-road riding and get used pretty rough. Most people don't want their KLR's looking like this.



The other thing thing I liked about the WR was I actually enjoy it more on the highway than the KLR. A passing semi was always a puckering moment but the WR just floats around.
__________________



The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
el tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #39
Baggersteve
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Mn
Oddometer: 6
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a BMW Dakar that is a little heavier than I'd like. I carry mine on my semi and use it for transportation when I'm sitting around somewhere.
Thought of going to a BMW x-bike, be about 75 pounds lighter. But the thought of a lightweight 250 appeals to me also. It would make it easier to load & unload also. But I'm about 200 lbs, & wonder if the smaller bike would be under powered.

Is the KLX the same, or pretty much the same, as a Super Sherpa?
I really don't want a really tall bike either. I'm puttering around town and banging a few trails, so an mx suspension is kind of a waste.
Baggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #40
TNC
Candyass Camper
 
TNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggersteve View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a BMW Dakar that is a little heavier than I'd like. I carry mine on my semi and use it for transportation when I'm sitting around somewhere.
Thought of going to a BMW x-bike, be about 75 pounds lighter. But the thought of a lightweight 250 appeals to me also. It would make it easier to load & unload also. But I'm about 200 lbs, & wonder if the smaller bike would be under powered.

Is the KLX the same, or pretty much the same, as a Super Sherpa?
I really don't want a really tall bike either. I'm puttering around town and banging a few trails, so an mx suspension is kind of a waste.
I wouldn't really classify the KLX and KLR-SS in the same category. The KLX will be more dirt worthy and the KLR more pavement worthy. For a bike having at least 10" of travel, the KLX has a low seat height...as long as you get an '09 or later. The KLR is more old school in its suspension department. The KLX has way more potential with a bigger bore kit and suspension mods. Modding a KLR doesn't give as great a return. When you mod the engine and suspension on a KLX or WRR, you get a bike that's much more like a real dirt bike...just on the slightly heavier side. My '06 KLX250S with a 300 jug and Race Tech revalving reminds me a bit of the 4 off road only XR250R's I had over the years. And that's actually a compliment. The upside is that the KLX is watercooled and electric start with much better performance on the pavement.

If you're just looking for a bike to act as some transportation on your truck route, the KLR-SS would do fine. The KLX will always provide more potential depending on how much of an explorer you are in some of the areas on your route.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #41
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer
 
kentnothstine's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI, USA
Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I wouldn't really classify the KLX and KLR-SS in the same category. The KLX will be more dirt worthy and the KLR more pavement worthy. For a bike having at least 10" of travel, the KLX has a low seat height...as long as you get an '09 or later. The KLR is more old school in its suspension department. The KLX has way more potential with a bigger bore kit and suspension mods. Modding a KLR doesn't give as great a return. When you mod the engine and suspension on a KLX or WRR, you get a bike that's much more like a real dirt bike...just on the slightly heavier side. My '06 KLX250S with a 300 jug and Race Tech revalving reminds me a bit of the 4 off road only XR250R's I had over the years. And that's actually a compliment. The upside is that the KLX is watercooled and electric start with much better performance on the pavement.

If you're just looking for a bike to act as some transportation on your truck route, the KLR-SS would do fine. The KLX will always provide more potential depending on how much of an explorer you are in some of the areas on your route.
+1
__________________
2008 XT250(the new one for her to use)
2003 KLX400SR (the new one)
1997 Ural 650cc (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #42
Baggersteve
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Mn
Oddometer: 6
I guess I'll have to start shopping around for a Sherpa. The Dakar will go up for sale when I finally get the new title back from the state.
Baggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #43
ntm1973 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
i have a te 250 and it is briiliant at everything singletrack except the climbs and rock gardens. Since it has low power it uses a 120 section rear tire so it has that much less grip , and if you can imagine 7000 rpms over rocks you get the idea
That is another thing that scares me off from getting a wr250r, making power at too high a rpm. Most of the trails in this area are straight up and then straight down, often times from a dead stop.

Does putting a 351 kit on a klx250s give it more torque or at least move the powerband down to where it is on a klr? It is nice to have that tractor power.

Too bad suzuki doesn't perfect the drz400 and put a 6th speed gearbox in there.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #44
TNC
Candyass Camper
 
TNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
That is another thing that scares me off from getting a wr250r, making power at too high a rpm. Most of the trails in this area are straight up and then straight down, often times from a dead stop.

Does putting a 351 kit on a klx250s give it more torque or at least move the powerband down to where it is on a klr? It is nice to have that tractor power.

Too bad suzuki doesn't perfect the drz400 and put a 6th speed gearbox in there.
Even with just an OEM KLX300 cylinder on the 250S, it climbs like a freakin' cat. I've had many, many off road racing bikes and more play oriented dirt bikes like XR250R's, and I've yet to own a better climber than this bike. This bike doesn't require a screaming approach to a climb or any other unusual methods. The traction quality of the powerband is surprisingly competent without wringing its neck. It was one of the most pleasant surprises about this bike. In its totally stock form it's so choked and plugged up with noise and emission issues...like most true street legal DS bikes...it's pretty gutless and does require you to wring it out. Once you put a pipe, jetting, and simple airbox mods on the bike, it regains noticeable bottomend and torque. And if you open it up just a bit on the displacement, it steps it up to another level. I rode mine for about a year with the stock displacement and mentioned mods, and it was very capable off road and climbed loose stuff quite easily. The 300 jug yielded more performance increase than I would have ever expected with just that much increase.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #45
Dewtwo
old trail rider!
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Mid-MO
Oddometer: 67
enjoy smaller!

After 6K miles of d/s ridin my KTM 690E, I sold it to purchase a barely used WRR w/ dirtbags for under $4K.
Put on a 3gal. tank. Very reliable, very versatile. I've done 6K miles d/s ridin on this bike and it does all I want it to.
I believe I will keep this bike longer than any I've ever owned (had about 30)
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014