Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #6916
BigPapy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
So... Does anyone have experience with the 351 in high heat situations. The summers here are 110+
BigPapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #6917
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 925
They have strong cooling systems. 351 kits installed properly have very few problems. With some patience, nice used '09s can be bought at $3K.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #6918
goofus
Swamp Yankee 4Life

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapy View Post
I'm looking at getting a klx, was gonna buy new but after reading about the bore kits I'm having second thoughts. Found an 09 with 750 miles asking 4k(dealer so probably get it for less). So, should I buy new, pipe and jet it and see how I like it for a year( with warranty). Or get the used and do the bore kit right away. I ride a TW200 now so either way is a step up. With the bore kits the only concern I have is reliability and longevity. Oh and heat, I live in desert. What differences, if any, from 09 to the 2012? The new is priced at 4800.
No replacement for displacement. If you want more than a 250, get more than a 250. Plenty of other options 400-650. Personally, I've got no complaints on power- I'm only 160lbs and don't ride insane motocross-style. The carb is definitely cold-blooded. I have to choke to start even if it's 80 out. The throttle will have a knot in it at about 4k RPMs until it warms up for a few minutes. That might be worth tinkering with jetting to straighten out, but then again just a warm-up and it's over.

After a day of trails and my arms are hurtin, a lighter 250 is nice to pick up compared to a 650. I'm in New England tight/twisty trails that are all rocks and roots- don't always need power, need to just plain fit through sometimes. For your desert terrain, I'd go higher-displacement.

For anything constantly over 50mph on roads, the KLX250S is not the best. Yes- it'll go faster, but it's just not meant for it.

It's a nice bike and a great value. No fuel injection sucks next to something like the WR250R, but you're saving $2k off new for things like that. You still get a digital dash with RPM, decent suspension, liquid cooled, and electric start. Tires (D603's) I've found to be decent all-around- exception is sand, just plain isn't here for me to say if good/bad...

Differences in years- the most I can pick out is the plastic colors.

Got my 2010 brand new for 4300 out-the-door.

Ride it, ride lots of other things for contrast.
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #6919
Andy Fox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofus View Post
Differences in years- the most I can pick out is the plastic colors.
2006-7 have longer suspension travel and analog instruments.
Andy Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #6920
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Colorado Jetting help

My son and I will be going to Colorado next month. He has a 2006 KLX250. Last year we took it there stock, and it was down on power considerably. Hoping to get a little more power out of it, I put on a FMF Q4 and took the top off the air box.

Shimming the needle 1 mm, a 38 pilot, and 146 main seem to work well here in Arkansas, but i was hoping someone with experience in Colorado could give me some tips on jetting that works in higher elevation.

Thanks so much!
Bill

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #6921
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
I have an '06 KLX250 with a 300 cylinder, but we're talking fairly close stuff here. I have a Dynojet kit, as I feel the stock needle just has a bad performance profile. I have all the airbox mods with a full Muzzy exhaust. I think you'll find most any bike down on power when you start hitting the really high passes like Imogene...over 13K...and others, but good jetting at home usually works quite well with our CV carb setup...unless perhaps you're coming from sea level.

Your pilot sounds a little rich to me. When I had the full Muzzy with all the airbox mods and DJ kit, I was running the OEM 35 pilot. When I went to the 300 cylinder I installed a 38, and it was too rich. I went back to the 35, and it was perfect. A Kouba air/fuel idle mixture screw helps a lot when you go to CO, because I find the idle to be affected the most when approaching the tops of the passes. I'm running a DJ main jet that is 128, but that jet doesn't exactly match the Keihin equivalent. Honestly, I think it's worth the money to get the DJ kit if for nothing else but the needle. Throttle response and the point on the needle for cruising is just better all around IMO. I still get great mileage too. I live at 1700' here in Texas, and I have never changed the jetting for CO on this KLX or my KLR600/650's with CV carbs in over 30 years of going there. If your jetting is clean and crisp at home in Ark, I think you should be fine. The down on power feel will occur regardless, but it should run cleanly. I think you can safely go to a 35 pilot for sure and maybe turn in the mixture screw when you get there.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #6922
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
I agree with Thad, My bike has the 351 kit ... I leaned the bike recently from a 38 pilot and a 142 keihn (132 DJ) to the stock 35 pilot and a 138 Keihn (128 DJ) I also installed the KLX 300 emulsion tube and I am getting about 18.5 km to a litre of fuel which works out to about 46 mpg, not that great, and the tail pipe is still pretty sooty. The bike has tons of power but I think I can lean it out another main jet size. I am at sea level but do most of my riding for the last few years at 5000 to 10000 ft.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #6923
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Bill let me start by saying that I have been inside my carb 2-3 times, I am no expert. but these are my experiences.

This is my signature line over on KawasakiFourum.com - 2007 KLX, 351cc FMF Q4, N1tc needle clip on 2nd notch, Keihn #40 pilot, Keihn#135 main, idle jet 2.5 turns out, slide drilled, snorkel removed, No-toil hi-flofilter. This set up has worked very well for me from here in IL 750' to the top of Rocky Mountain Natl park 11,796' in Colorado. It may be a touch rich as I get a bit of soot on the pipe. I have thought about going down to the 35 pilot, but between being lazy and not wanting to mess with something that is running good, i haven't done anything yet. The bigger jets you mentioned may hurt you out there at elevation.

The first time I took the KLX out to CO. years ago it was bone stock. I bought some smaller jets before our trip, and messed around with the different jets when i got there since the bike didnt want to start. I'm no jetting expert, and I had trouble getting anything to work untill I put it all back to stock and simply removed the airbox lid. It still did bog some at full throttle after that but was fine every where else, so i left it alone.
Where are you guys riding? I'll be out there too, up by Rocky Mt Natl park. Just ordered my Latitude 40 map (thanks TNC)

Dan

Rollins Pass

Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #6924
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Thanks for the replies! Dan. we are going to the Top of the rockies BMW rally in paonia
trailering across OK. the riding new mexico and CO.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #6925
Dreamship
n00b

Oddometer: 3
newbie here...

I'm looking to buy a dual sport but dang it, I am so short I don't know if I can touch the ground on anything. I am about 5'2" unless I've shrunk with my old age! lol....I was thinking of the KLX250, or can someone recommend a better bike size wise?
Dreamship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #6926
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamship View Post
I'm looking to buy a dual sport but dang it, I am so short I don't know if I can touch the ground on anything. I am about 5'2" unless I've shrunk with my old age! lol....I was thinking of the KLX250, or can someone recommend a better bike size wise?
I have a KLX250S, and am 5'7" with a 30" inseam. At stock height, I could just touch my toes down. Mine has been lowered 1.5" (lowering links and a bar riser so the forks could be pushed up about 1.25" to match, then the rear spring adjusted to compensate for the resulting saggyness). Now I can flat foot both feet at the same time, but just barely, not much weight on my heels. I consider it perfect for me as it is now.

My wife is 5'5", and rides a Honda CRF230L. Bone stock it is 2" lower than my lowered KLX. When I sit on it, my knees are actually bent with both feet flat. And there is a lowering kit available for it, that will drop it another 2", but if you go that route, your ground clearance will be pretty bad.

Another factor is your weight... I'm a whopping 140 lbs, and see guys my height claiming the stock height KLX works just fine for them. But at my weight, when I sat on the bike at stock height, the seat didn't even sag half an inch, and the suspension felt as hard as a rock. Lowering the bike softened the suspension a little too much, but that was fixed by adjusting the rear spring sag (which also caused me to lose about 1/4" of what I had gained by lowering), and now the sag when I sit on the bike is about right.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #6927
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Take a look at the Kawasaki Sherpa, Yamaha XT 225, Yam TW200.
There is a thread on this forum somewhere re bikes for short riders. I'll try to find it and post the link.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #6928
Dreamship
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoore View Post
I have a KLX250S, and am 5'7" with a 30" inseam. At stock height, I could just touch my toes down. Mine has been lowered 1.5" (lowering links and a bar riser so the forks could be pushed up about 1.25" to match, then the rear spring adjusted to compensate for the resulting saggyness). Now I can flat foot both feet at the same time, but just barely, not much weight on my heels. I consider it perfect for me as it is now.

My wife is 5'5", and rides a Honda CRF230L. Bone stock it is 2" lower than my lowered KLX. When I sit on it, my knees are actually bent with both feet flat. And there is a lowering kit available for it, that will drop it another 2", but if you go that route, your ground clearance will be pretty bad.

Another factor is your weight... I'm a whopping 140 lbs, and see guys my height claiming the stock height KLX works just fine for them. But at my weight, when I sat on the bike at stock height, the seat didn't even sag half an inch, and the suspension felt as hard as a rock. Lowering the bike softened the suspension a little too much, but that was fixed by adjusting the rear spring sag (which also caused me to lose about 1/4" of what I had gained by lowering), and now the sag when I sit on the bike is about right.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #6929
Dreamship
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Take a look at the Kawasaki Sherpa, Yamaha XT 225, Yam TW200.
There is a thread on this forum somewhere re bikes for short riders. I'll try to find it and post the link.

I will definitely check these out!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #6930
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamship View Post
The tallest of the KLX250 family is the 06/07 enduro. My wife at 5'5" can't really get a tip toe on the ground but is close.
The 09 and newer models are about 1 1/2' shorter.
You'll lose another 1 1/2" if you get the D-trecker (17" "super motard" wheels); you can put some semi off road tires on those but not too aggressive.

The shortest KLX I can think of would be one of the new bodies (09 and later), with 17" wheels, 2" kouba lowering links, forks thru the triple clamps and seat cut down an inch or so. That would be slightly lower than a Honda CRF230L.
I'd probably go with the Honda though as what I just described is playing with the geometry quite a bit. Besides the Honda has a shorter wheelbase and you can get away with less ground clearance with shorter wheel base.

The 230 also has loads of torque off idle which is great for beginers. It even beats the KLX250 and the WR250 torque wise just off idle.
The KTM 350 freeride is almost as short as a Honda 230 + it's nearly 50 lbs lighter than a KLX250 making it even easier to handle. There just coming out in Malaysia though (meaning probably another 2 years in the US ) and are a chunk more expensive, + going off just the maintenance schedule it doesn't look like they'll be in the same league reliability wise.
Honda also just released the CRF250L which is a bit shorter than the KLX though heavier...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote