ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Apxgrndr OP
In the snow

Oddometer: 949
Oregon Coast camping spot?

So I'm going camping this summer with my family (29 foot travel trailer), looking for a nice spot on the oregon coast to hang out for a couple of days.

I'll be heading north from the redwood forest, any suggestions?. My kids are 5 and 2.

Which sites are better, Federal or State?

Thanks for any info
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
So I'm going camping this summer with my family (29 foot travel trailer), looking for a nice spot on the oregon coast to hang out for a couple of days.

I'll be heading north from the redwood forest, any suggestions?. My kids are 5 and 2.

Which sites are better, Federal or State?

Thanks for any info
Federal campgrounds will be a few miles inland up in the forest. Will likely have no hookups, or showers. They likely will only have pit toilets. They usually are cheaper

Most of the Sate campgrounds will be right on or close (walking distance) to the beach. They will have flush toilets and showers, and at least part of the sites will have full hookups. They also cost more. If you stay in a state park I recommend trying to get a site on the back side of the loop, away from the beach. Hopefully in the trees, this will give you some protection from the wind. I have always thought Sunset Bay Sate Park (near Coos Bay) looked real nice, but have never stayed there. I have stayed at Harris beach (Brookings) and Cape Lookout (south of Tillamook) and liked them.

If you want to stay in a state park You better go online and make a reservation. They fill up fast.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Up in the north, Tillamook County's Barview Campground is pretty nice. Been a long time since I was there, but I doubt it's changed much. Take a tour of the Tillamook cheese factory when you're there.

http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/pa...Campground.pdf
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
Humbug Mountain is pretty nice... it sits on the beach just below Port Orford. Lots of nice beaches are near by. The beaches are windy, but the campground sits down in a little draw which blocks the wind... very nice in there.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,314
On the way to Sunset Bay is Bastendorf Beach Campground. It is a county park and in my opinion nicer than Sunset Bay CG. I have stayed in both. Both get pretty busy in the summer and both are easy access to the gardens at sunset bay, beaches, tide pools etc... Charleston boat basin is pretty cool to check out and Coos Bay/ North Bend isn't far if your the shopping type.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Short-Johnson
IBA# 34787

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post
Up in the north, Tillamook County's Barview Campground is pretty nice. Been a long time since I was there, but I doubt it's changed much. Take a tour of the Tillamook cheese factory when you're there.

http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/pa...Campground.pdf

+1 on Barview jetty campground, I live here and visit the jetty often. Also you might catch a whale swimming in the Jaws of the Jettys you never know, but it is a cool place.
99 GZ 250
2011 WR450F
Short-Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Apxgrndr OP
In the snow

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Humbug Mountain is pretty nice... it sits on the beach just below Port Orford. Lots of nice beaches are near by. The beaches are windy, but the campground sits down in a little draw which blocks the wind... very nice in there.
That look great but I'd like to get a little further north after the redwood forest.

Bastendorf looks good, first come first served though, It seems like theres a ton of camping along the coast so would a guy be OK just winging it or should I definitely have a plan?

I think I will try to book a spot at Barview though.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,314
I have done a lot of " winging it". Most of the time it works out well. Some of the coolest things I have discovered have been the result of not ending up where I thought I would. If you are traveling Monday through Thursday your chances of finding good spots are much better than Friday, Saturday. The Campgrounds near the OHV areas stay pretty packed all summer and should be avoided. I have ended up in quite a few privately owned campgrounds and for the most part they have been great. Gravel stockpile sites have also functioned as emergency campsites as a lastish resort.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
Woahink Lake Resort, 83570 Hwy. 101. Just south of Florence.

541-997-6454 woahink@presys.com

Ken & Katy Greger

Honeyman Park a bit closer to Florence is real nice with real big Fir trees.

I like to hit the parks early sunday morning as there usually some one leaving. Call ahead is better tho.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Fort Stevens State Park.

It is almost into WA, you can see the Columbia River if you look north from the beach. It is clean, has hundreds of spots and you can drive up/out to the beach. Stayed there a few times and really liked it for its beach access.

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
I think I will try to book a spot at Barview though.
I think you'll like it.

Way back when my oldest was about 3 we camped there and she got knocked down by a wave. Sand everywhere - in her hair, ears, nose. The hot water showers at the campground came in real handy to get her warmed up and cleaned up.

If you want the Oregon Beach Town experience, Cannon Beach is up 101 about 40 miles.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote