Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #2851
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Thumb

Great report Fasttrak. Congrats on the new TEX. She is GORGEOUS!

Do you think we'll ever get the silly wide grin off our faces?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #2852
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
Great report Fasttrak. Congrats on the new TEX. She is GORGEOUS!

Do you think we'll ever get the silly wide grin off our faces?
Thanks so much, I can't even begin to say how happy I am with this bike, it is that stable and comfortable I know it is going to carry me for very many miles. I think the grin is permanent, it goes with the purchase of that first special bike that lights the fire in your belly, for me it's this Explorer. The last forty miles home the temps dropped to about 94 degrees and everything was good, no roasting of the nuts or legs, heat not even noticed. Motor just loves to purr along so happily, almost like it is begging to to get to the next town or mountain. I am smitten.

Tomorrow I am taking her out to the coast and gonna show her Highway 1. I know we'll both enjoy the views, the cool ocean air and some blissful curvy roads. I can hardly wait and probably will have another shitty night of no sleep :-P

K.B.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #2853
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post

Tomorrow I am taking her out to the coast and gonna show her Highway 1. I know we'll both enjoy the views, the cool ocean air and some blissful curvy roads. I can hardly wait and probably will have another shitty night of no sleep :-P

K.B.
I'm extremely jealous... all we get here is rain

Enjoy your ride... and don't forget the pictures
Old 06-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #2854
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
As I usually do, I left the house on my Buell Ulysses yesterday with no particular direction or destination in mind. I found myself not too far from the Triumph dealier in Issaqua WA, and thought, hell, I'll go see if they have one of these newfangled Explorers in yet. I like this particular dealership because they're pretty casual with test rides. They'd alreadly let me ride the 800 roadie and the Super Tenere there. Also, they don't run out into the parking lot and start throwing poo at my Buell when I pull in, unlike some Harley Davidson dealers I could mention. I didn't see one on the floor, but they said "oh yeah, we have one in back. But it's a little dinged up." Apparently one of our motocycling bretheran took it it out with only two miles on the clock and dropped it in the parking lot. Fifteen hundred dollars, I was told it would cost to put it right. Whoa, I've dropped my Uly a couple of times and the only result was people laughing at me. The side was scuffed and the turn signal was taped on and the shifter lever was a bit tweaked, but they said "well, go ahead, here's the keys." So I did. Since I've been reading about this bike here, I had a few preconceptions. Firstly, I 've read here that the bike was massive and top heavy. It didn't seem that way to me at all. The seat's lower than my Uly, so I could easily flat foot it, whereas with Uly I'm on the balls of my feet. But that throttle, I tell ya, that was something else. Really touchy, it seemed to me. It started to rain and the guy says "hey be careful, rain, new tires, etc." Then he started pushing buttons trying to make sure the ABS was on, it looked like there was some secret process which I thought was rather off-putting. Seems like a simple off/on switch would be a hell of a lot less screwing around. Anyway, I took it out gingerly. It really is a very nice bike and it fit me perfectly. I had a run on the freeway and that thing zips. I was in 6th gear going 70 and I twisted the throttle and I was at 85 before I could say "Hey, I'm going 85." I took it down a twisty road and it was very well mannered. But that throttle, that thing scares the shit out of me. I thought I'd try turning on the cruise control that I heard so much about but just moving my hand a little bit to position my thumb made the bike shoot out...I'd be terrified to stand on the pegs with such a sensitive throttle. Is this something you guys have adjusted to? I mean it must be, since you're not dead, right?

I liked it a lot, I'm just not sure I like it 19K worth, which after tax prep and bags is what I'd be looking at.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #2855
Telman
Ulysses Member

Oddometer: 125
Test rode the Explorer today, spent probably 90 minutes all up. Throttle is a little sensitive but it took me less than 30 minutes or so and I did not even notice it. (I am used to a Speed Triple that also has a very sensitive throttle.) I personally would not change the throttle. The fuelling was superb.

Rode mostly road, with some gravel. Turned the traction control off, and also used the less intrusive traction control mode.

Gearbox delightful, clutch great and brakes superb. Can dive a little under hard braking but no more than any other adventure bike except the GS1200 BMWs. I simply could not detect any indication of it being shaft drive. Bike handles very well, suspension is a little firm on the smaller bumps but again compared to the Speed Triple was great.

The bike was fitted with an Arrow muffler but it was very quiet. Engine is simply superb with heaps of low down and midrange torque, with plenty of top end, if you want to fang it. Engine does not seem as growly as the 1050 but has some of the idiosyncratic noises, one expects from a Triumph triple.

I have no doubt this bike is a superb all roads tourer. I definitely want one!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #2856
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Comparing the throttle on the TE 1200 with the throttle on the other bikes we have in the garage - it's like comparing an electronic keyboard with a manual typewriter.

Adjust your input accordingly.

It's the way of the future man
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #2857
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
As I usually do, I left the house on my Buell Ulysses yesterday with no particular direction or destination in mind. I found myself not too far from the Triumph dealier in Issaqua WA, and thought, hell, I'll go see if they have one of these newfangled Explorers in yet. I like this particular dealership because they're pretty casual with test rides. They'd alreadly let me ride the 800 roadie and the Super Tenere there. Also, they don't run out into the parking lot and start throwing poo at my Buell when I pull in, unlike some Harley Davidson dealers I could mention. I didn't see one on the floor, but they said "oh yeah, we have one in back. But it's a little dinged up." Apparently one of our motocycling bretheran took it it out with only two miles on the clock and dropped it in the parking lot. Fifteen hundred dollars, I was told it would cost to put it right. Whoa, I've dropped my Uly a couple of times and the only result was people laughing at me. The side was scuffed and the turn signal was taped on and the shifter lever was a bit tweaked, but they said "well, go ahead, here's the keys." So I did. Since I've been reading about this bike here, I had a few preconceptions. Firstly, I 've read here that the bike was massive and top heavy. It didn't seem that way to me at all. The seat's lower than my Uly, so I could easily flat foot it, whereas with Uly I'm on the balls of my feet. But that throttle, I tell ya, that was something else. Really touchy, it seemed to me. It started to rain and the guy says "hey be careful, rain, new tires, etc." Then he started pushing buttons trying to make sure the ABS was on, it looked like there was some secret process which I thought was rather off-putting. Seems like a simple off/on switch would be a hell of a lot less screwing around. Anyway, I took it out gingerly. It really is a very nice bike and it fit me perfectly. I had a run on the freeway and that thing zips. I was in 6th gear going 70 and I twisted the throttle and I was at 85 before I could say "Hey, I'm going 85." I took it down a twisty road and it was very well mannered. But that throttle, that thing scares the shit out of me. I thought I'd try turning on the cruise control that I heard so much about but just moving my hand a little bit to position my thumb made the bike shoot out...I'd be terrified to stand on the pegs with such a sensitive throttle. Is this something you guys have adjusted to? I mean it must be, since you're not dead, right?

I liked it a lot, I'm just not sure I like it 19K worth, which after tax prep and bags is what I'd be looking at.
Great report.

Not sure why your dealer was messing about with the buttons, the ABS and TC automatically reset to on when the bike is turned off and on again! Maybe he was trying to impress you ;)

The throttle is something you adapt to (well most have so far though one guy did sell after 440 miles) and on the Triumph Explorer forum (tiger-explorer.com) a few people have tried a 'special grease' which dampens the action.

Sounds like you had fun

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #2858
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
I don't have problem with throttle. On the commute I started using the Cruise Control more often, and once returning to throttle find it too heavy :)

Facebook

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #2859
MooMoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
What to do...

I went to my local dealer on Saturday to see when they might be getting some Explorers in. When I first started talking to them a few months ago they told me they expected them around mid May, then it moved to early June. Now that it is Mid June I thought they would have them in or coming soon. NOT!!! They do not expect any until maybe December. That sucks. I have been lusting for this bike for a while now. What do I do now? I have to decide do I go buy the Super Tenere, which I know a local dealer has, or do I travel out of town. I like the Triumph a better but I have no complaints about the Yamaha either. What do you think? Is this bike worth a 2-4 hour road trip to get or should I just stay local and get he Tenere?

Tampa Jim, if you read this which dealer did you use in the Tampa/St. Pete area and how were they to deal with.

Thanks.
MooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #2860
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post
I went to my local dealer on Saturday to see when they might be getting some Explorers in. When I first started talking to them a few months ago they told me they expected them around mid May, then it moved to early June. Now that it is Mid June I thought they would have them in or coming soon. NOT!!! They do not expect any until maybe December. That sucks. I have been lusting for this bike for a while now. What do I do now? I have to decide do I go buy the Super Tenere, which I know a local dealer has, or do I travel out of town. I like the Triumph a better but I have no complaints about the Yamaha either. What do you think? Is this bike worth a 2-4 hour road trip to get or should I just stay local and get he Tenere?

Tampa Jim, if you read this which dealer did you use in the Tampa/St. Pete area and how were they to deal with.

Thanks.
No bikes till December ? Sounds like a crap dealer to me...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #2861
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Not correct. Each dealer put up a schedule for deliveries. Mine had on in late April - that's DEMO now, then mid-May - I got it, then mid-June - sold to a guy from VA, the next one is scheduled for.... October... then... December. Total 5 bikes scheduled for my dealer in 2012

Facebook

Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #2862
Voluhzia
iExplorer

On the other note. Plan a trip - its an Adventure bike, why not start it right from a dealership 500 miles away :)

Facebook

Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #2863
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1

My dealer does fairly small volume, this being a fairly low-population area, and he didn't have any Tiger Explorer preorders, yet he still got in a Tiger Explorer a couple of weeks ago.

That said, based on the experience with the Tiger 800, my dealer also thought it would take a lot longer to get in an Explorer, so maybe MooMoo's dealer is just being unnecessarily pessimistic.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #2864
nwbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I know that only dealers that had at least one of their techs go through an Explorer-specific training seminar could receive bikes at first. Makes sense to me that they want to make sure the shop can set up and maintain the Explorer with its special features.

Maybe your dealer hasn't had any of their employees trained yet.
nwbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #2865
Lightisright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
mileage

I've got just over 700 miles on my Explorer now. My last tank was about half riding fairly aggressively on back roads in SE Ohio, and some highway droning with the cruise at 76mph indicated (72 per my garmin forerunner 405 gps watch). I kinda made a wrong turn getting back to 77 to head home. First the miles to empty went to zero, then a couple of miles later the last bar disappeared. I'm pretty sure this was at 212 miles. I finally found a gas station at 218 miles. The bike took 4.88 gallons for just over 44mpg. Not sure I could have made it much farther. 44mpg seems to be pretty typical so far. One tank was 42 I think. The computer has been showing about 2mpg better.

Got home late, hopped off in the garage and saw a full, big, rusty nail sticking THROUGH my rear tire. In went in at the edge of the tread and out the sidewall. Tire was still holding air. I pulled it out the next morning. I got lucky that it didn't pierce the liner. Still had 42psi in it. This would have been an ideal time for the inflation sensors. I have them, just that the dealer couldn't figure out how to get the bike to recognize them. I took the bike anyway and they are supposed to call me when they figure out a solution. At the time it was late in the day so they called a couple of west coast dealers who apparently have had the same issue. This dealers demo bike (with launch pack) came all set up so mine was the first one they've actually had to install. Still.....
Lightisright is offline   Reply With Quote