User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
razcob OP
Dromedary

Oddometer: 326
Heat on BMW pannier near muffler

To improve capacity for this years trip, I am considering removing the side BMW aluminum panniers and securing a drybag in there place. However, there is not much gap between the aluminum panniers and, possibly, a mounted drybag on the left side, near the muffler.

How much heat does the muffler add to the aluminum pannier?

Would a drybag melt with its close proximity to the muffler?

When packing the aluminum panniers, should the mufflers heat be a consideration?
razcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
The left side gets pretty hot. To the point I consider what I put in there. Go for a ride, stop, hop off, open it up and put your hand in there on the side next to the muffler.

Terry
terryckdbf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
pipe extensions

One way to reduce the heat off the end of the muffler is to add pipe extensions. Excel Cycle Werkes makes them but I don't know if they're for the pre-05 GSs. Personally I wouldn't put a dry bag down there but YMMV.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
I had the same question - here is what I was told:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798676
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Been There..

I have the exhaust extensions...very slick well made item that does help with getting heat out the back. To dump heat out the back and not next to luggage.

I use Ortlieb soft bags, removed my BMW Adventure boxes...saved 20+ pounds [plus boxes were not water tight and when plastic seal was broken on lid, BMW said I had to buy a new lid, seals not for sale] and less likely to trap a lower leg and break it than under a solid box when dropping bike off road [only place I ride is off road].

What I did was attach a thin aluminum plate that conformed to each side of the BMW luggage rack as a heat shield and abrasion reducer when using the Ortliebs..works very well and adds only ounces.

The exhaust heat will over time breakdown the material on soft bags without a shield, even with exhaust extenders.

Soft, waterproof and light luggage is the way to go. It may not look as cool, but it is more functional.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
RTCHIEF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
One way to reduce the heat off the end of the muffler is to add pipe extensions. Excel Cycle Werkes makes them but I don't know if they're for the pre-05 GSs. Personally I wouldn't put a dry bag down there but YMMV.
Excel makes them for 1150GS's they run about 90 bucks. They move a lot of heat past the bags and turn signal.

I prefer the Givi E41's, they set further away from the bike than oem, Jesse's, or Happy trails. Since this creates an air flow things stay a little cooler in the bags and the breeze around your legs is great. Jon
RTCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
When you're HOT...you're HOT

MELTED the floor of my tent that was too close to the muffler.

Keep the aluminum plate and keep everything UP and away from the EXHAUST blast.
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
You can definitely feel that items are warm inside the left case, I wouldn't say hot, but yes, I try not to store liquid in the left pannier.
aGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
beanbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
hi, i live in far north Queensland, and yes I had a problem with heat in the left hand box, I went to the closest muffler shop, 70 km s away, they made me 2 pipes 200mm long slightly widened at one end, so as to slip snugly over the outside of the existing pipes, a couple of hooks welded and by using a pair of picture hooks, and a couple of exhaust springs from a auto spares, put the pipes on and tap them on till they don't go anymore, hook up the springs, finished, I have ridden outback australia, remote tracks,and they are still as secure as ever, cost less than $20.00.
beanbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #10
a57m2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Heat Reflector

I've put a heat reflector on the outside of BMW panier, it seemed to lower the inside temp.
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...V/1724626.html
Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,750
I have Varios on my GS and whenever I buy groceries I'm definitely selective about what goes in the right case vs. the left. When traveling I use the case liners which still allow some heat in the left, but I've never felt it was warm enough inside the liner to melt anything. If I felt that were going to be an issue I'd probably find some type of thin insulation to attach to the back inside wall of the left pannier.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
I have the exhaust extensions...very slick well made item that does help with getting heat out the back. To dump heat out the back and not next to luggage.

I use Ortlieb soft bags, removed my BMW Adventure boxes...saved 20+ pounds [plus boxes were not water tight and when plastic seal was broken on lid, BMW said I had to buy a new lid, seals not for sale] and less likely to trap a lower leg and break it than under a solid box when dropping bike off road [only place I ride is off road].

What I did was attach a thin aluminum plate that conformed to each side of the BMW luggage rack as a heat shield and abrasion reducer when using the Ortliebs..works very well and adds only ounces.

The exhaust heat will over time breakdown the material on soft bags without a shield, even with exhaust extenders.

Soft, waterproof and light luggage is the way to go. It may not look as cool, but it is more functional.
Nice idea. Got a picture?

2012 R1200GSA, 1985 K100RS, 1975 R90/6

TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
nameisdam
Ride & Refresh Database

Oddometer: 147
Exhaust Extensions

Here is the link for the Excel Exhaust Extensions:
Pictures on the site & are works of art as well as really doing the job.
Safe riding to all - today is the 'stitch promoted "Ride to Work day".
http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page612.htm
nameisdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Idatoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
BMW sells a reflective, self adhesive, woven asbestos type material to protect the left bag. I put it on a Jesse sidecase. CoolIt/ThermoTec makes the same product.
I also had a problem on my 1150gs where the stock or any other muffler rubbed my jesse sidecase with a Staintune collector box. The only muffler that won't hit the sidecase is the Staintune. That sucks cause my Remus Muffler is a much better engineered product. Staintune sucks as they definitely do not work with the stock muffler as adverised.
Idatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameisdam View Post
Here is the link for the Excel Exhaust Extensions:
Pictures on the site & are works of art as well as really doing the job.
Safe riding to all - today is the 'stitch promoted "Ride to Work day".
http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page612.htm
+1 these made a huge difference on my Happy Trails. The temperature drop was probably 30 degrees.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote