Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #13171
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
After I sent my stock seat to Sargent for reworking and new foam I got a call a little over a week later from one of the owners. They were in the development stages for their own version of a seat for the T800 and had a loaner bike on its way to them so they could develop their seat design. He asked if he could keep my seat a bit longer and use it for the development process, which I of course agreed to.

I got a call from him last week. He said the foam was done and it was headed to upholstery, and would then ship to me. They must have worked fast because I received it yesterday.

You can clearly see the dished area towards the back of the seat. The dish is actually a bit more than you can see in the photos because the vinyl seat cover tends to float a bit and doesn't fully represent the shape.

I rode the bike about an hour yesterday. I generally need a bit of time on a seat to get used to it but I can say without a doubt this seat is worlds better than either the stock seat or the Triumph gel seat (which I would be happy to sell at a discount to anyone who wants to try it). The dished area provides a lot more support across a much larger area, and I can still easily move from the dished area up onto the nose of the seat for a change if desired. Having owned several Sargent seats over the years I knew the foam would be a huge improvement, and was not disappointed.

I believe Sargent will release their seat somewhere around September, but for anyone who wants to have them make one based on the stock pan they should now have templates based on the one they made for me.
Thanks for the update. That looks real nice. PM sent re: gel seat.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #13172
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Is anyone else having an issue with grooving on the wheel spacers? I have changed tires 3 times and each time I have rotated the spacers, but now I think I may need to buy another set for my next swap. The spacers are aluminum, and I am worried about premature bearing failure similar to the gs800s. I know some one is making steel spacers for the beemer guys, but I haven't seen anything on the tigers yet.
When I had modified DR800 I had 2 set of wheels for it. And DYI aluminium spacers made on my small lathe.
I changed wheels million times, rotated spacers etc. and never ever had any problem with bearings in 70 000 km.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #13173
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
When I had modified DR800 I had 2 set of wheels for it. And DYI aluminium spacers made on my small lathe.
I changed wheels million times, rotated spacers etc. and never ever had any problem with bearings in 70 000 km.
I was questioning the grooves being cut into the spacers by the seal lip and dirt. Maybe I should have been more specific. As the grooves get bigger and deeper it will allow dirt and water to enter the wheel bearing area. It doesn't sound like you were experiencing any of the issues I was asking about.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #13174
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
I see what you mean. No, my "DYI" design of adapted wheels did not allow that to happen, you right...
Plus I used really good quality sealed bearings...unlike BMW
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #13175
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Is anyone else having an issue with grooving on the wheel spacers?
I only have 3,000 miles and haven't seen that yet, but it seems like a fairly common problem for aluminum spacers in general. My DRZ had the same problem until I bought a set of stainless aftermarket spacers.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #13176
TonyLoco24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Wolfman Alpha on 800XC?

I have a wolfman alpha bag from a klr I use to have. Has anyone put one of these on the T800XC successfully? It's looking like it might sit on the exhaust, which would not be good. thoughts and/or ideas?
TonyLoco24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #13177
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Does the GL Coyote bag work fine without any sort of pannier rack or racks or any sort on the XC? I really don't want to add anything permanent as most of my riding is just local but would like an option that I could throw on if I wanted to go somewhere. I suspect it's fine as they run them on KLR's and DR650's.

I put my hand on the stock exhaust heat shield today while riding and it was almost ambient temp when moving. I did read somewhere where someone added some self adhesive reflective metal tape as added protection for heat. I can imagine that it will get hot when stopped or in town.

'12 800 XC
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #13178
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Is anyone else having an issue with grooving on the wheel spacers? I have changed tires 3 times and each time I have rotated the spacers, but now I think I may need to buy another set for my next swap. The spacers are aluminum, and I am worried about premature bearing failure similar to the gs800s. I know some one is making steel spacers for the beemer guys, but I haven't seen anything on the tigers yet.
Yes, I've noticed grooving too.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #13179
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Rox Risers for you Tiger?

Want some? I know of a guy...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post18936405
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #13180
Stein67
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'll take if still available.

'12 800 XC
Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #13181
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
I'll take if still available.
PM sent
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #13182
Stein67
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
PM sent
PM returned. I'll take them.

'12 800 XC
Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #13183
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
YUP. I was thinking I had gotten a small stone wedged in the seal lip, but maybe not. I plan on replacing seals as well as spacer the next chance I get. The seal does not seal all that well right now with the groove cut in the spacer. This seal is not the bearing seal, but the outer replaceable seal. Having some crud get in there would not be a disaster. Having a lot would be eventually.

I have 25,000 miles on it, but noticed at first tire change.
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #13184
Stein67
Adventurer

Regarding chain maintenance, especially cleaning, I've been pretty lax. Considering I do about 50% of my riding on gravel roads and it gets filthy, I need to address this.

What does everyone do?

I've heard some people scrub chains down in a pan of kerosene and then re-lube but I was concerned about trapped kerosene actually doing more harm than good as a solvent.

Just brush it off and spray it with a good chain lube and call it good? It's been 1000 miles and I'm feeling guilty.

'12 800 XC
Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #13185
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres_Bob View Post
YUP. I have 25,000 miles on it, but noticed at first tire change.
Damn Bob, that's a lot of miles in a short amount of time. Did you ride iron butts all year or what?