ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #301
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
It is doing well. I use the garmin voltage converter and I have an outlet specifically for the gps. I'm also running lithium AA batteries for when the bike is off. The gps won't charge (rechargable) batteries when it is plugged in which is too bad. I used 2 sided tape in the ram mount to keep the gps tight so it won't rattle. Only a few times has it shut off from harsh vibration. I don't like that it is powered by a usb connecttion but it is what it is. I wouldn't do anything different with it yet.
The reason I'm asking is that I use one myself. I haven't hard wired it to the bike. I've have good luck using Powerex batteries and a charger. I understand you used OSM maps in Canada. I use them myself. Their not perfect, but I'm getting what I payed for.

Are you going to use them when traveling in the lower 48?

If you need some help downloading and installing them on the 62, send me a PM and I can help.

Does your 62st have a microSD card installed?

Ride Safe!
daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 07:25 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #302
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
The reason I'm asking is that I use one myself. I haven't hard wired it to the bike. I've have good luck using Powerex batteries and a charger. I understand you used OSM maps in Canada. I use them myself. Their not perfect, but I'm getting what I payed for.

Are you going to use them when traveling in the lower 48?

If you need some help downloading and installing them on the 62, send me a PM and I can help.

Does your 62st have a microSD card installed?

Ride Safe!
daryl
I'm using the .img files you can download of whole whole countries.. Canada was 1 gig. I have a 16gig card installed. My 62 came with the topo of the US so that is what I am using. Its not routeable but I like looking at maps also. GPS is just a tool and shouldn't be relied on. A paper map won't die when you need it.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #303
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I'm using the .img files you can download of whole whole countries.. Canada was 1 gig. I have a 16gig card installed.
That's what I'm doing. I use the gps as a thumb drive, storing gps projects, OSM maps and photos. It has allowed me to install Garmin Basecamp on two desktops and a netbook. I can move between them using Basecamps's backup and restore function.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #304
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,760
Susbscribed.

If plans happen to change and you come through northern Ohio our bike lift, couch (or guest bed if the room is done), and parts ordering system are at your disposal!
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #305
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,645
Its not IF but WHEN

I left Bozeman today and was riding through Yellowstone...

I had a funny feeling that I should pull off and snap some photos... I was getting antsy.. A bear stepped out in front of the car in front of me.

I think my front tire broke loose when i was braking and i went down on the left side at about 30. I am completely OK. Raddled a bit but OK. The left pannier and left tank took the grunt of the slide. I have a slow leak in my left tank and a pretty good roadrash/hole in the pannier.

I don't have a scratch on me.. the Klim gear worked amazing
The fox Bombers with the carbon fiber knuckles are amazing also. If i was in regular moto gloves, I would have no knuckles on my left hand.
I will be ordering a new helmet as a precaution.

I will post pics soon. Staying the night in Cooke City to get my head back.

IF IT DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT PULL OFF AND DRINK SOME WATER! EAT SOMETHING! DON"T KEEP GOING!
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #306
Barman
Way Offline
 
Barman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I left Bozeman today and was riding through Yellowstone...

I had a funny feeling that I should pull off and snap some photos... I was getting antsy.. A bear stepped out in front of the car in front of me.

I think my front tire broke loose when i was braking and i went down on the left side at about 30. I am completely OK. Raddled a bit but OK. The left pannier and left tank took the grunt of the slide. I have a slow leak in my left tank and a pretty good roadrash/hole in the pannier.

I don't have a scratch on me.. the Klim gear worked amazing
The fox Bombers with the carbon fiber knuckles are amazing also. If i was in regular moto gloves, I would have no knuckles on my left hand.
I will be ordering a new helmet as a precaution.

I will post pics soon. Staying the night in Cooke City to get my head back.

IF IT DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT PULL OFF AND DRINK SOME WATER! EAT SOMETHING! DON"T KEEP GOING!
Glad you're ok Noah.

Patch it up and chalk it up as getting that crash out of the way.
__________________
I am at one with my duality.
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #307
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Glad you're ok Noah.

Patch it up and chalk it up as getting that crash out of the way.
Yup. Lesson learned.: If it doesn't feel right.. IT PROBABLY ISN'T RIGHT!
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #308
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,240
Shit Noah, glad you're ok!!! Hoping you can get that pannier fixed for cheap from a friendly local welder. Take it easy.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #309
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Shit Noah, glad you're ok!!! Hoping you can get that pannier fixed for cheap from a friendly local welder. Take it easy.
I'm actually not going to fix it. I have some Giant Loop stuff shipped to MN. I am swapping out the hard cases when I get there.

Lighter. Safer. Makes me carry less stuff.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #310
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,081
Whoops

Woh, glad your ok, learned my lesson last year. Left trout creek montana headed to yellowstone, going a little over speed limit a guys comes around the corner and flashes his lights and honks at me, i might have flicked him off or threw my hands up, as i start to go around a blind right turn i got this feeling to slw down, so i did and litteraly right in the middle of the turn was a hugh buffalo. Trust that gut.
__________________
My favorite philosopher is Cha Ching !
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #311
ktmissouri
Racer turned Rider
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Ozark, MO
Oddometer: 27
Glad you are OK

Noah,

I have been following along. I love the RR and the awesome photos. Your crash convinced me to chime in and wish you well.It is a good plan to take some time and get your head right before pushing on.

All the best,
__________________
KTMissouri
03 KTM 450 EXC - Plated (Day rider)
07 KTM 400 XCW - Off Road Only
11 DR 650 - Long range bike
HHR
ktmissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #312
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer
 
kwakbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Birmingham,UK
Oddometer: 622
Bummer on binning it but better than hitting the car or bear. Simple patch job on the tank?
__________________
2007 Versys

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #313
DanielR
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 63
Bringing back great memories! Enjoy the ride and thanks for bringing us along.
DanielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #314
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I'm actually not going to fix it. I have some Giant Loop stuff shipped to MN. I am swapping out the hard cases when I get there.

Lighter. Safer. Makes me carry less stuff.
Yep, I'm right behind you. Gonna ditch my ankle biters as well! Smart man!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #315
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,116
Noah - I am enjoying your tour as well. Since you started it, I took delivery of a 690 of my own! Glad you are dumping those metal boxes. They can break your leg slogging through mud when it catches your boot. Pretty easy to ruin your trip in a slow tipover with those things. Even globetrotter, Ted Simon, learned that lesson.

I have a Wolfman system, but haven't installed it yet. I have them on my Yamaha 250 too. Compact, hold plenty and no hurt you in a tipover.

You must be a pretty gifted fisherman. I admire your ability to catch fish wherever you are.

Looking forward to more of your travels and the friends you meet along the way.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014