Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Updating City-Navigator Maps?

I mostly use my GPS for navigating backcountry, forest service roads. City Navigator is pretty good for this, but I've found that several roads shown on it in my area are in fact closed. Others are incorrectly identified. The forest service has issued new "motor vehicle use maps" for many areas. Is it possible ot edit the CN maps and erase closed roads or rename others? Or to create new, routable roads from known (track) data?
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I mostly use my GPS for navigating backcountry, forest service roads. City Navigator is pretty good for this, but I've found that several roads shown on it in my area are in fact closed. Others are incorrectly identified. The forest service has issued new "motor vehicle use maps" for many areas. Is it possible ot edit the CN maps and erase closed roads or rename others? Or to create new, routable roads from known (track) data?
No. All you can do is hope that Garmin eventually catches up. If you go to Garmin's site and navigate to the CN page, there is a link to report map errors. I have no idea how effective this is.

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
ddn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
With the version of Mapsource I'm using, you go to Routing Preferences, Advanced, and you can "Manage Route Avoidances".
Attached Images

ddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,972
There are a lot of travel management "closure" maps(/tracks?) on dualsportmaps.com for many of the forests in the west.

I haven't studied them in detail yet, but they look awfully comprehensive.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn View Post
With the version of Mapsource I'm using, you go to Routing Preferences, Advanced, and you can "Manage Route Avoidances".
Great suggestion. While I don't think it wouldn't identify them on screen, at least it prevent auto routing from trying to take you through it.

To identify them, you could drop in some waypoints with a symbol that you recognize as meaning "road closed"

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Great suggestion. While I don't think it wouldn't identify them on screen, at least it prevent auto routing from trying to take you through it.

To identify them, you could drop in some waypoints with a symbol that you recognize as meaning "road closed"
Both are great ideas. I think I'll add waypoints...they will have do have unique names (closed1, closed2, etc). And I figured I could do something similar with road names/numbers. I have started adding a lot of common, named terrain points (saddles, intersections, etc) as waypoints so I can autoroute through them. I'm new with CN, used to do all the routing manually with Topo2008. Even with the hickups, autorouting is the only way to go!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
ddn
Gnarly Adventurer

With the route avoidances, you can avoid an area or specific roads. Worth playing with. I have it as MapSource always wants to route me over a river that it must think there is a bridge there when there is not....
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
With the route avoidances, you can avoid an area or specific roads. Worth playing with. I have it as MapSource always wants to route me over a river that it must think there is a bridge there when there is not....
I will play with route avoidances, sounds like a great tool. Does the hatch pattern you show always show on your map when you display it? Sounds like a pretty simple way to keep track of what's closed.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
ddn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Does the hatch pattern you show always show on your map when you display it? Sounds like a pretty simple way to keep track of what's closed.
Yup.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup.
I just was playing with Mapsource, the route avoidance feature seems pretty cool. Now...if only Basecamp had something comparable. I've used it for a couple years, may have to revert to Mapsource.