Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #12646
Waiting
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
The cables should be running behind the the mirror stalk not in front of it.
There were more than one of you who picked up on this and mentioned it. Thank you very much!! I had the bike in to the dealer today and they changed the throttle grip so that the cables came out on the rider side of the mirror and SHAZZAM!!! I can now see ALL of my digital display.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #12647
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
I need a confidence boost...

I just recently installed the Yamaha top case and it just seems like a flimsy connection. Its on there correctly, but I find myself looking back a lot to make sure its still there.

Has anyone had problems with them coming off? I wish i'd of had a chance to see the bags before ordering them with the bike. They seem very cheaply constructed.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #12648
combo
D S N

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
I need a confidence boost...

I just recently installed the Yamaha top case and it just seems like a flimsy connection. Its on there correctly, but I find myself looking back a lot to make sure its still there.

Has anyone had problems with them coming off? I wish i'd of had a chance to see the bags before ordering them with the bike. They seem very cheaply constructed.
Mine work great. Had it for almost a year now along with the side cases. Been down many a dirt road with the top box overloaded. No problems at all. We like them. Liners work well also. My wife uses the top box for a backrest.
Mounts are strong but you do get a small amount of flex as you would with any top box setup with a disconnect system.
Mounts are out of the way when boxes are off the bike and they look good too when on the bike.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #12649
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,811
With all the weight I put in my top case and panniers I am surprised I haven't lost one yet.

I did finally get my Yamaha top case/pannier liners last weekend. They are much nicer than I expected, much nicer, in fact they rock

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #12650
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:

The top case connection seems pretty robust to me. You've got a substantial mount bolted directly to the bike, and the top case latching mechanism on the bottom of the bag with engages the mount, while plastic, is fairly robust. The weak point is the keyed latches - here, I think you just have to be very deliberate to make sure it latches properly and never force things.

I've got 10K of fairly hard riding on mine - no problems. But I don't pound the bikes over rocks in the dirt. If it gets seriously bumpy, I slow down.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #12651
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Skid plate crash test

Yesterday I did a short but intense crash test to the new ACD skid plate I'm helping to develop.
I hate to do it, every “clonk” it hurts to me but I don’t know another way to try it.....
The marks in the aluminum are evident but it did it's job.
Even so, we must modify quite a lot the original design: it’s too low and wide, it must be closer to the engine, needs a foam, must change the rear bolts, etc.
But considering is the first prototype was a good start

Crash test video:

Crash test

jaumev screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 11:37 PM
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #12652
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Oddometer: 552
[QUOTE=jaumev;18943006]Yesterday I did a short but intense crash test to the new ACD skid plate I'm helping to develop.
I hate to do it, every “clonk” it hurts to me but I don’t know another way to try it.....
Even so, we must modify quite a lot the original design: it’s too low and wide, it must be closer to the engine, needs a foam, must change the rear bolts, etc.

Crash test video:

Crash test

Those look like some big hits Jaumev. No damage to the mounting points or engine? Also those welds look great. Nice job. I like the design of the plate, and the way it covers the cases.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #12653
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Anyone know thw what where etc of this DVD?

Calling our international friends...

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #12654
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Yesterday I did a short but intense crash test to the new ACD skid plate I'm helping to develop.
mg]
Ever thought of some mild corrugations in the plate OR a slight bowl / shovel profile?

All great stuff mate, lots of effort on your suppliers and you.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 06-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #12655
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxstdawg View Post

Those look like some big hits Jaumev. No damage to the mounting points or engine? Also those welds look great. Nice job. I like the design of the plate, and the way it covers the cases.
I think they are the kind of hit you try to avoid
Glad you like it. This people know his work.
We realise (as most of you said ) the rear bolts are too exposed and damaged, we need to improve that. The rest was ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Ever thought of some mild corrugations in the plate OR a slight bowl / shovel profile? .....
Youre right, the plate huge skid plate is flexible with big hits, they are thinking about bent the bottom for better strength

jaumev screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 04:35 AM
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #12656
TEN YC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Calling our international friends...

It's a promo video for a German product on Amazon. It's GPS data, Map and a DVD of motorcycle tours of the Mediterranean island of Sardinia

http://www.amazon.de/Motorrad-Touren...51/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8&qid=1340114613&sr=8-1
TEN YC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #12657
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN YC View Post
It's a promo video for a German product on Amazon. It's GPS data, Map and a DVD of motorcycle tours of the Mediterranean island of Sardinia

http://www.amazon.de/Motorrad-Touren...51/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8&qid=1340114613&sr=8-1
Damn, Looked like the guy could ride a bit.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #12658
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Damn, Looked like the guy could ride a bit.
Yes!!!
Nice video
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #12659
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Im gonna be getting ready to ride the TransLab next summer on my Tenere...

I was thinking about drilling the back of the stock Yamaha side bags and mounting a 1 gallon rotopack on each of them but im not too sure about the integrity of the materials. It just seems so thin. Has anybody done this? Think it'll work?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #12660
Jiri
Jiri

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Im gonna be getting ready to ride the TransLab next summer on my Tenere...

I was thinking about drilling the back of the stock Yamaha side bags and mounting a 1 gallon rotopack on each of them but im not too sure about the integrity of the materials. It just seems so thin. Has anybody done this? Think it'll work?
I was thinking about the same actually and i had the same concern.. I am panning a trip in Morocco this fall, so have time to think about it still... During the summer i will be mainly riding in europe and most of it in more or less civilized areas, so no need before the African trip..

Ride hard, die free :-)
Jiri is offline   Reply With Quote