Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #61
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Watch those headaches and muscle aches. Listen to your body. Get lots of liquids and rest. After a few days your body will start acclimating and you can take on more.

Too bad you couldn't get a GSA to do that ride, yeah? I hear they are almost non-existent there due to import tariffs.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #62
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_tony View Post
Also, what sort of temps am I looking at?
So I guess I missed this and you're well on your way. Hope Rohtang was not bad as it can be.

I think what you'll find is that just your normal ride gear will be sufficient for the cold. At the top of passes you will need the thermal liner in the jacket. In the valleys lower below, you'll probably want to even take the jacket off when not moving :) Unless it's cloudy or raining....then all bets are off.

Following your journey with interest.....love to see photos of the road conditions as I'll be there in a couple of weeks too. But not through Rohtang!

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #63
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
stil in gogogo

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #64
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by GurgaonTrails View Post
I think what you'll find is that just your normal ride gear will be sufficient for the cold. At the top of passes you will need the thermal liner in the jacket. !
Expect anything, especially this early in the season. Changla, August 2008. It was cold and it was wet. But just for the last 20 miles going up and 20 miles going down.

khpossum screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 07:35 AM
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #65
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
any updates?

Hope you are safe.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #66
rathump
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tony,

I was late in checking up on your progress; enjoyed the reading and pictures so far. Looking forward to an update.

Dave
rathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #67
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Radio silence is (finally) over! It feels good to be connected again. Lots to report. Stay tuned.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #68
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Ah! finally you've reached civilisation, nowadays defined as internet enabled :)

Look forward to the story after Manali.....

Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #69
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

Sorry for the lack of reporting since reaching civilization, but uploading pictures to Photobucket is proving to be almost as challenging as the ride.

I'll get started in the meantime. As Mr. GuraonTrails correctly pointed out, the road leading to Rohtangla is "officially" closed on Tuesdays for routine maintenance and, as I observed the day before, the amount of traffic on the road when opened is nightmarish. So, by the dim of my headlight I set out for Rohtangla at 1:45 am.

The road was quiet but the occasional Tata could be spotted heading in the same direction as myself. Then, suddenly, after rounding a hairpin curve was a line of 8 or so stopped trucks. Immediately I thought I was in for a long day. After weaving my way through all the trucks I discovered the source of the congestion; about 2000 sheep! So many sheep it took the good side of 15 minutes to slowly weave through without upsetting sheep or herder. A photo opportunity if there ever was one but alas, it was way to dark.

As I slowly climbed up the mountain I discovered two things. The first was that I wasn't dressed nearly warm enough for the time of night and altitude. After pulling over and adding additional layers I glanced up the mountain to see the lights of trucks silently zig zagging their way up the switchbacks. It was quite beautiful and, at the same time, strangely cartoony. It reminded me of something from Dr. Seuss.

Continuing up the mountain I discovered thing number two, an upside down car that had apparently rolled over one of the cliffs above. Unoccupied and not smoldering I continued on.

Progress was good and exciting - finally this was what I was here for but, in the inky blackness, very lonely.

I entered the snow capped portion of the mountain and was now able to see other snow capped mountain peaks off in the distance. Immediately what gets you is the scale. I've seen mountains before - Alaska, Canada, Colorado - but the Himalayas are so much larger, so much more impressive and seemingly endless. They offer a very imposing feeling.

Reaching the peak I looked for the sign confirming my progress only to find two empty poles sticking out of the ground. Being to dark to acquire photographic evidence of my success anyway, I continued on.

The road still quite empty I reached Tandi and filled up my tank and both jerrycans. Keylong was only a short distance away so I stopped and had lunch at the Namaste Cafe.

I had expected to only ride to Keylong but since my progress was so good I attempted to ride to Pang but was only able to reach Sarchu.

The ride from Keylong to Sarchu was long and desolate.

A long hard day of riding, I was asleep by 5:00 pm. The 5 star accommodations for the night.

fat_tony screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 10:04 PM
fat_tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #70
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

A word of advice for any would-be adventurers...pack a nail clipper! I was starting to look like some sort of recluse. Fortunately I found this one with the decorative handle.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #71
Oli-San
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Awesome!!
I'm subscirbed

Be safe!!
Oli-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #72
rathump
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Namaste Cafe

Tony,

Beautiful pictures, a Polar Bear's dream ride! Did you happen to have chicken at the Namaste Cafe?

Dave
rathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #73
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

I did! How'd you guess? Be forewarned chilly lovers, the chilly chicken is really spicy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathump View Post
Tony,

Beautiful pictures, a Polar Bear's dream ride! Did you happen to have chicken at the Namaste Cafe?

Dave
Old 06-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #74
trophymoto
MACDADDY!

Oddometer: 434
Loving this! what would be an average speed? what elevation are you now? any effects from it?
trophymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #75
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_tony View Post
A long hard day of riding, I was asleep by 5:00 pm. The 5 star accommodations for the night.
And THEN??