Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
f00gami
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
f00gami, this was such a great response, I really appreciate your effort, one cannot argue with such facts there is a most peculiar thing happening here, it can be argued if this is and 'by design' and acceptable? I don't however know if this is what is happening when I blip the throttle and the engine stalls, as you indicated it may be another issue altogether? Are you able to reproduce the ping/knock condition when you 'blip' your GSA, if so are you able to also provide these same graphs when that happens? It may be difficult to reproduce what I experience while riding but it only happens when I blip the throttle, such as in traffic when warning motorists of my presence, when I pull away from a standstill, downshifting or while I am riding technical stuff, however it 'sounds' and 'feels' exactly the same as when I blip the throttle as in the video clips I posted earlier.
In my driving style, I usually apply throttle blips during gear changes to rev match (just an "old" habit). Although I've never ever experienced engine stalls on my bike, this may be due to our riding styles being different. I completely agree with you that stalling under these circumstances is unacceptable.

Bliping the throttle harshly when my bike is idling DOES occasionally make the first detonation mis, or at least make it sound very harsh. In my daily work I work with engine control software but not that close to combustion control. Hence I'm not an combustion expert and have attributed the behavior of the R1200 engine during very very rapid "blips" to
- wire throttle in combination with the EFI system (compared to a system with an electronic throttle module) and
- a lean A/F ratio (due to modern emission requirements).

I guess the easy way to make the engine run richer is to fit the well-known Accelerator Cable, which essentially modifies the engine intake air temperature sensor value to be somewhat lower. Most posts on the internet regarding the Accelerator Cable have been quite positive in terms of improving low-end torque. However I have no idea if it would cure the response to throttle blips.

Something which might be interesting to try is bliping the throttle in netural from a slightly open position rather than from fully closed. Will the system react differently then?
f00gami is offline   Reply With Quote