Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
crossfire3006 OP
crossfire3006

Oddometer: 239
Question Garmin Zumo 220 Installation Question

I need help. I recently bought a Garmin Zumo 220 for my '05 R1200GS. I was told that I can run it off the GPS battery and recharge it at home using a wall adapter or hard wire it to the bike battery by taking off the tank and running the wire from the handlebar to the battery.

Yesterday, while at a BMW shop, someone in the service department told me there's no reason to run the wire(s) under the gas tank to the battery. He told me there is a plug-in right around the handlebar, which will power the GPS on/off when the key is in the ignition and turned on. Anyone agree or disagree with that statement? Any advice on how to set up my GPS to run off the bike battery? Any help would be much appreciated.

crossfire3006 screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 10:36 AM
crossfire3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
There aren't that many Zumo 220 users out there. I have a Nuvi 500, which is physically the same.

First off - the unit requires 5v USB power - if you plug it directly into 12v it will fry it. You need to use either the car power cord with the voltage regulator built in or something like this

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-nuvi-5...and-power.html

This has bare wires on the end so you would have to put a plug on it to match your accessory power socket, or wire it to another switched power source ( not sure about the 12 GS with the CANBUS system). I would NOT run one of these cables straight to the battery as it will always have a small current draw from the regulator.

Note that to use the cradle above you still need a RAM ball on your bike and a RAM arm.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 11:37 AM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire3006 View Post
Any advice on how to set up my GPS to run off the bike battery? Any help would be much appreciated.
Garmin 62s power on a R1200 GSA

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire3006 View Post
I need help. I recently bought a Garmin Zumo 220 for my '05 R1200GS. I was told that I can run it of the GPS battery and recharge it at home using a wall adapter or hard wire it to the bike battery by taking off the tank and running the wire from the handlebar to the battery.

Yesterday, while at a BMW shop, someone in the service department told me there's no reason to run the wire(s) under the gas tank to the battery. He told me there is a plug-in right around the handlebar, which will power the GPS on/off when the key is in the ignition and turned on. Anyone agree or disagree with that statement? Any advice on how to set up my GPS to run off the bike battery? Any help would be much appreciated.
The unit should have come with a hard wire set up to connect to the battery and a cigarette lighter plug in. I hard wired the GPS for the dual sport and use the lighter plug when I move it to the street bike. I don't know what a GS has for connecting. But it is not a big thing to run the wires. The unit will turn on once you connect to battery power. Just push the button to turn it off.

The ball mount is nice for switching from bike to bike.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of my Nuvi 500 which only comes with the cig plug cord:

What's in the Box:
◦zūmo 220
◦Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America or Europe (full coverage)
◦MapSource® City Navigator North America NT DVD or City Navigator Europe NT DVD (full unlock)*
◦Motorcycle mount with mounting hardware
◦Power cable/bare wire

◦Replaceable battery
◦Automotive suction cup mount**
◦Automotive power cable
◦USB cable
◦Dashboard disc
◦Quick start manual
◦Installation instructions
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
serialcee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hey Crossfire, did you end up using the canbus adapter/wire? I'm looking into the same issue and found some germans who did get their 220's running through the canbus connector. Is it working for you?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialcee View Post
Hey Crossfire, did you end up using the canbus adapter/wire? I'm looking into the same issue and found some germans who did get their 220's running through the canbus connector. Is it working for you?
I would not recommend wiring the Zumo 220 to the Canbus connector. I have a new (2 month old) GSA that I installed this way (Zumo 220 wired to Canbus port behind oil cooler). I came out the other day and found my battery completely dead. I charged it fully, and let it sit. Battery was completely dead again in 2 days. I disconnected the Zumo from the Canbus port, re-charged the battery and it's been sitting now for a couple of days fully charged. I did a little more searching and found this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786103

It seems that others have also had this problem with the 220. The power harness has a 12V to 5V transformer built into it, and this transformer draws enough power to keep the Canbus system "awake" even when the GPS is not on the bike. Result = dead battery. I plan to run the GPS power back to a switched fuseblock under the seat to correct the problem.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
serialcee
Adventurer

Thanks for that update El Gato! Sounds like the canbus option is a no-go and I'll be hooking it up directly to the battery. Although I might try it without the 'fusebox' that seems to cause the problem of draining the battery. If so I'll keep you posted as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for that update El Gato! Sounds like the canbus option is a no-go and I'll be hooking it up directly to the battery. Although I might try it without the 'fusebox' that seems to cause the problem of draining the battery. If so I'll keep you posted as well.
The box that is causing the problem is the one in the middle of the Zumo harness. This is the transformer that converts battery voltage (12V) to USB voltage (5V). The transformer is what causes the parasitic power drain. Unfortunately, removing the box is not an option - if you feed the Zumo 12V you will fry it. The best option is to wire in an auxiliary fuse panel like a Centech or PC8 in such a way that the fuse panel is switched on and off with the key, and then wire the Zumo harness to this. This way there is no chance that the Zumo will kill the battery.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
serialcee
Adventurer

Clear, thanks for putting that straight! But when wiring directly tot the battery I wouldn't be needing a auxiliary fuse panel like you mentioned..? I had it hooked up straight to the battery of my K1200R and that seemed to work just fine. So I guess I'll go that way! Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Fwiw

I have my Zumo wired directly to the battery on my F650 (yeah different bike). The bike was up at the dealer for service and they asked if it would be okay for them to put a proper terminal on the end of the wire; I just had the bare wire under a washer under the battery bolt. They were not at all surprised nor did they have any objection to it being wired directly to the battery.

I take the GPS with me if I am going to be off the bike for more than a little while, so not like it would drain the battery.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Clear, thanks for putting that straight! But when wiring directly tot the battery I wouldn't be needing a auxiliary fuse panel like you mentioned..? I had it hooked up straight to the battery of my K1200R and that seemed to work just fine. So I guess I'll go that way! Thanks again!
Ah, I understand the question now - sorry. I don't know if the cause of the power drain in my case was the transformer in the wiring harness, or if the transformer was waking up the Canbus and the Canbus draw was killing the battery. I'd rather be safe than sorry and not have a continuous drain on the battery (even if it is a very small one) from the transformer, so this is why I'm wiring it through the fuse panel. If you've wired it directly to the battery on a previous bike with no issues than you may be OK going that route.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
I also have a 550, not a 220 but similar and have found the in-line transformer does have a slight parasitic current draw which will drain the battery over several weeks.
I do prefer using a power source which is not switched by the the ignition, that said i suggest placing a separate switch or disconnect plug in-line before the transformer for the times the bike will be sitting for a while. One option is to use a Battery Tender type plug-in as the power source for the GPS, just unplug the charger (if used) and replace the charger with the plug leading to the transformer. Simple, clean and works.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote