|06-21-2012, 02:17 AM||#1|
denis the menace
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: London UK
Moving to Laos - need bike advice
I'll soon be moving to Vientiane (Laos) for work. From my research it looks like dealerships and official servicing garages are non-existent.
I'd like to hear your thoughts/experience on what kind of current production bike I'd be better off bringing with me, knowing that:
- I'd still want to have some fun
- it needs to be able to take on some off roading, or at least potholed roads
- it needs to be fixable by local mechanics or even me, so nothing too fancy
- ideally, servicing intervals would be generous
- reliable, bulletproof engine and well-put together bike
If I'm honest with myself, I know I'd like the 990 Adventure by KTM, but I'm not sure it fulfills all the prerequisite...
For those who have been to Laos on a bike, what are the roads like? When I went I didn't pay attention at all, and anyway flew from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. I've checked forums and seen pix, and the general impression I got was that the road from Vientiane to Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang was more windy than in a dreadful condition. But is that a correct impression? Does that road require a trailie/off-road biased bike?
Thanks for any advice.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|