ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #46
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
Marker just west of present day Julesburg Colorado, on the site of old Julesburg, that was burned by the Cheyenne, Sioux and Arapaho on Jan 7th 1865 in revenge of Sand Creek, the marker also commemorates the Pony Express Julesburg Station. The tree line in the distance is the South Platte River.

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=47348

Pony Express Marker in new Julesburg, Colorado.
Thanks for providing a visual of this area. I got to get up there. For the most part, my sympathies are with the displaced Native Americans. Just sayin.
I have photos of my visit to Sand Creek last year that I'll try to find. What a sad and lonely air that place has, and some of the most aggressive biting flies I've encountered.
I'm also working on a report of an archaeological survey of the Pawnee Buttes area we completed yesterday.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #47
MsSuzieQ
Adventure sister

Oddometer: 78
Historical Markers

I never understood why this sign was placed HERE when it clearly states the geographical center is a couple of miles away...

2000 V-Star 650 (Sold 5/30/12)
1999 Road King (hated it, gave to the boyfriend)
2006 Road Star Silverado (yeah, that's more like it)
MsSuzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #48
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Marker signs in wrong place

Happens all over. Many times a historical site is on private property...and state, local, and fed. governments don't want tourists invading private property owner's property (many times in farm fields). Too bad the sites were not protected, but too late. The famous L & C Fort Mandan in North Dakota is 14 miles away (in middle of a wheat field) from where the replica fort is located and the local museum visitors' center in Washburn, ND tell their staff not to give directions to the actual site.

Sometimes actual sites are simply off the beaten path that tourists would never pass, so they put the signs on roads where they will most frequently be seen.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 02:02 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #49
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Clark's Overlook Rock

Clark's Overlook Rock:

Lewis and Clark frequently traveled in separate parties. Once they were lost from each other for 10 days. Lewis & 6 soldiers and Seaman (their dog) was on foot (looking for horses) on Lemhi Pass. Clark with the main party of 25 men was struggling with 2,000+ pounds of canoes and cargo in a shallow creek (near today's Dillon, MT.) Lewis knew Clark's party had to be near a creek/river so he dispatched a soldier south to search for him.

Unable to leave their precious cargo and canoes Clark stood on this rock ledge for 5 days looking into the distance for Lewis and his party of 6 soldiers.

Today you can walk and sit exactly where Clark sat for those 5 days.

What Clark was seeing while looking for Lewis. Dillon, MT in center and Lemi Pass in the distance.

Probably the funniest event in the L & C Expedition.

Lewis had found desperately needed horses and was with a Shoshoni tribe that did not trust him at all and were expecting that they were being tricked and would encounter their hostile enemies..the Blackfeet. The Shoshoni Chief had basically captured Lewis and his soldiers and to keep safe made Lewis exchange clothes with them, in case the Blackfeet attacked. Lewis and his crew show up to meet Clark's main party wearing the Indian loin clothes, head feathers (basically nude) and the Indian chief was wearing Lewis' uniform. Had to be one funny sight to Clark and the rest of the main party.

This is probably a top 10 L & C marker for the Expedition.

BTW: This Chief ended up being Sacajawea's long lost brother.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 04:20 PM
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #50
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,567
Good stuff LC. A used Shoshoni loin cloth on a hot July day, that sounds special.

Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #51
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,272
Sand Creek

This marker would have originated during an earlier time. It certainly was not a battle. Note the offerings at the base of the marker.

The creek bed is dry now. Not much cover for fleeing children and their parents.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #52
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

I bet it was...

[QUOTE=Sod Buster;18961982]Good stuff LC. A used Shoshoni loin cloth on a hot July day, that sounds special.

The L & C journals were done in all seriousness. Meriwether L. was known to be most serious and by the book militiarily. But I'd bet Clark and the 29 others, including Seaman, were laughing their ass's off.

I'm hoping someone finds this marker in Kansas (I think, maybe Nebraska). But it is close to the Santa Fe Trail. In early 1700's some Spanish troop's encounter an Indian squaw "wearing a red" dress riding a horse leading a gang of Indians. I got a picture of the marker a couple of yrs ago but lost it. The significance is that explorers would have sold or traded her the dress and would have been in the area 100 yrs before L & C. The real old cast iron marker is on the left side of road when heading west.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 04:52 PM
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #53
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,567
Caldwell Kansas.

Will have to think on the Red Dress story a little LC.

The alley.
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #54
vaexplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post
Extremely difficult place to find: Located in Ivy, Virginia.

Actual site is purposefully hidden since it is on private property. The Lewis plantation/farm was located behind these gates. Lewis farmed this area in 1789-1799+-. His mother Lucy Lewis Marks is buried in a private cemetery 50 yards away, also on private property.

Holy cow... sometimes posts on this site strike a nerve, in a good way. This one did because I passed this sign last week (at the corner of Route 250 and Route 678 - Owensville Road in Ivy, VA) next to Duner's restaurant. Not only that, I lived in Lewis' birthplace's backyard for three years while attending 4th and 5th grade at Meriwether Lewis Elementary school and sixth grade in middle school. We moved to Richmond after that. I have been in the house, but don't remember much about it other than it seemed like any old farm house I've been in and my sister was acquaintances with the little girl who lived there and we went swimming in the pool. The house was across the dirt road behind our house (that ran to a farm where another acquaintance of mine lived) and I could look at it anytime I felt like it by just looking out the window. I didn't want to because someone told me it was haunted.

The most interesting part to me is the difference in perspectives. Living there, I neglected to let all the "Lewisness" sink in, instead associating that time and place with riding my XR75 in the field, playing Spotlight at night (flashlight tag), and the great roads, even though I couldn't drive. Not to mention learning that you could pull the stem out of the Honeysuckle blooms and get a taste of the sugar inside from the drop of liquid on them, which inevitably led to the discussion about how many blooms it would take to make a drink of it (for the record, "A whole grocery bag" was the official answer). Someone always hid in the alluded to cemetery when we played Spotlight. I never knew that Lewis' mother was buried there until you all just said it, although I may have been told then and just forgot. What memories.

About the gates, my memory is that they were off of the dirt road behind my house and went to the cemetery, while the house itself sits right in the curve that turns right on Owensville Road. I believe there is a new (to me anyway, could have been there 10 years) subdivision just after the house. The house is right by the road, but may be hidden by vegetation.
vaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #55
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

VAExplorer...please note

It took me three trips to Ivy, Va to find this place. As mentioned in my earlier posts...it is sort of a confidential place. I was riding down the road on a 3rd trip to Ivy and saw a female jogger, and stopped by her (scaring the crap out of the lady). Took my helmet off as i told her I was not with HELL'S ANGELES, finally calmed her down.....and she told me the secret. The neighborhood keeps this location confidential since it is right in the middle of a nice residential subdivision, in someone's backyard. She was reluctant to tell me about the gates but finally gave in...when I told her about my three trips.

Just for clarification ... there is no house behind the two iron gates. The only remains of the Lewis family farm house are indentations (foundation or road) in the ground. There are drawings of the house on the internet however, but it rotted down 150 yrs ago.

Lucy Lewis Marks' grave is a no no. It is in a really nice lady's back yard. The grave is one of those "you can't get there from here places", but you can see it via Google -"Lucy Meriwether Marks' Grave".
Lucy's grave is Non-accessible.

The road to the Lewis marker reeks of history...pretty amazing scenic farms. Yeap, ate at that restaurant.

FWIW: Thomas Jefferson also lived on that road. TJ and ML's father were close friends.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 01:09 PM
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #56
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Meriwether Lewis's other birthplace

At 5 1/2 yrs old Lewis's father was killed crossing a river on horseback in the dead of winter. His mother remarried 6 months later , to her cousin John Marks in Georgia,
yes that is common in the South.,

ML and his mother packed up and moved to Georgia (Elberton, GA area, 40 miles east of Athens, GA and the Universiy of GA)...like a one month wagon ride from Ivy, Va to "Goosepond, Georgia"...

Yes, there is a little marker on top of the foundation rocks of the 1780's Marks home in Goosepond. (See below) Lewis lived there from 5 1/2 until he was 11 or 12 yrs old. He then moved back to Ivy, Va to get an education.

VAExplorer - PM sent about your other questions.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 02:05 PM
Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #57
NHTOTEROAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
This thread is great! Particularly, for me, the Lewis & Clark entries. Just before this thread started I picked up a copy of the L&C journals. I'm about half way through. Very timely.
LewisNClark: I just found your previous thread from 2009. Great stuff.

NHTOTEROAD screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 01:26 PM Reason: typo
NHTOTEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #58
vaexplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Huh... I always thought the house there was the birthplace house? But from what you're saying, it's another house that was built after the old one fell down? When you're 10, people just tell you, "That's where Meriwether Lewis was born" and you go with that. I never saw the old foundation, or don't remember it if I did. I'm really wondering now. I knew the family (at least their son) who lived back on the farm behind us. Makes me wonder if he knew some of that information and I never thought to ask. They still live there according to the sign at the road.

And... not planning on visiting his mother's grave either. I just remember the cemetery behind my house. You saying it was in someone's backyard makes me wonder if I ever even saw it, because the place I'm remembering was definitely a cemetery, but overgrown. Could have been someone's backyard, though, we just roamed all over.

Another thing I didn't know was that the place was a secret, which I guess depends on whether you live in the midst of it or not. We never thought to appreciate it at the time. We were more interested in walking down the road and across the railroad trestle to the Ivy store to buy chips and a drink from Mrs. Mahanes who ran the store. I think they sell plants now.
vaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #59
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Thank you ...

If you can find it, get the L & C Journals off the internet or ebook format and it is so much more effective to search for topics on a hard disk. If you look at my pictures (see link below) they are in the sequence of the journals. Just finished my 3rd trip along the L & C trail and will eventually post another Ride Report.

By far the Bible of L & C is "The Lewis and Clark Journals"...by Gary E. Moulton (Univ of Nebraska) This guy devoted his life to "interpreting" what L & C wrote, coupled with other history and geological facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTOTEROAD View Post
This thread is great! Particularly, for me, the Lewis & Clark entries. Just before this thread started I picked up a copy of the L&C journals. I'm about half way through. Very timely.
LewisNClark: I just found your previous thread from 2009. Great stuff.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 04:56 PM
Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #60
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Lindberg 2nd crash in Illinois.

Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote