User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #271
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Espana

Here is a link to some photos of the Spanish vintage bikes http://www.todotrial.com/ttclasico/i...ico-total.htm?

Check out Zona 7 on the left for more pics
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #272
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
I have a truly rare and historic piece I would like to sell. It's the original axe that George Washington used to chop down his father's cherry tree. Of course, over the years, I've had to do some maintenance. Let's see: I've replaced the head six times, most recently with the latest high-density alloy that doesn't rust, takes an edge, and keeps it well; and I've replaced the handle nine times, now with a really nice rubber-gripped composite that feels great in the hand and dampens all the vibration of blows.

OK, so it's not really GW's axe anymore, but it still occupies the same metaphorical space.
If you dont believe this (above and quoted) has NOT hit twinshocks in the USA, you need to take off the rose coloered glasses.

I mean, honestly my bikes have shocks from other "junk/parts" bikes I have found, in barns or where ever. I completely understand, for example, that a 1979 sherpa-t shock, in stock form (even if NOS) is rubbish if not rare as well, compared the "new" shocks you can buy to put on the said bikes. BUT, now... They only are what, $300 or more plus ship? that is where I have lost interest, kind of. costs more to fix up my semi shabby old scoot than to keep on the new stuff...

I thought there were pictures on lewisport of the trick Reflex? I thought someone posted them, oh well. I don't know I guess. I been busy working on "wetbikes" this month, to keep cool and have a laugh. Google it, seem like they will be fun, when I get them running ok.

youtube some vids here http://www.youtube.com/user/Seadonkee
Best vid is this one, lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUHJVoHBsM&feature=plcp
from "a group of like minded, wet bike owners".
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #273
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
Here is a link to some photos of the Spanish vintage bikes http://www.todotrial.com/ttclasico/i...ico-total.htm?

Check out Zona 7 on the left for more pics

There were some mighty trick bikes in this link.

Some TLR's (Yes, I stole the pics) -

A nice Rothmans TLR -

I especially like this one. The paint is rather subdued, but it reeks of trick bits. I dig the DID rear wheel, what appears to be a Ti header pipe, and RH mounted side stand (trick swingarm? Can't tell) just like the one pictured above.

This is one bling'd up TL!! -

Not all were trick. How do you say "Outright Junk" in Spanish??

These boys are not afraid to ride 'em either!

Damn nifty stuff if I do say so. I still wonder if mods of this caliber have caught on here in the states. Sting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
If you dont believe this (above and quoted) has NOT hit twinshocks in the USA, you need to take off the rose coloered glasses.
Hey, I like my rose colored glasses! I did mention in that post I had not been to a National of any sort in over a year. Now I'm really looking forward to the MWVTA event in October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I thought there were pictures on lewisport of the trick Reflex? I thought someone posted them, oh well.
There are pictures of a trick Reflex on Adrian's website, I just don't know if it is the same trick Reflex that was spotted at the Nats. Haven't seen those pics yet.

The latest OJ update is that I got in contact with the Twinshock Shop in the UK inquiring about the trick alloy Triple clamps they offer for TLR Hondas. Really nice piece, except for the fact that the US dollar is really weak against the British pound right now, putting the triple clamps out of my price range. Damn shame, they look like really nice bits. I may just have to measure up the stockers, capture the dimensions in AutoCAD, (with the fork holes bored parallel to the stem!), and give it to the machine shop at work. More to come...

Thanks LowPSI for the link. There may be more mods coming OJ's way now.

brewtus screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 06:31 PM Reason: Ti exaust pipe? On a TLR?? Really???
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #274
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
AlrighT . I`m dumb enough to still like a tl 250. Only because I was crazy enough to actually ride one. ( oh because it was free besides blowing out my first knee!) That blinged out one sort of looks nice except for the wrong forks instead of pulling in the front end! Still like it!
Started pulling apart the cota. Found nothing yet except some d _ss pulled out three springs out of the clutch! nO WONDER THE BIG STUFF looked Big! Wheelies are coming as soon as I find the rattle!!
It is an early M29 and I have a m28 hoping some parts will work.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #275
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
AlrighT . I`m dumb enough to still like a tl 250. Only because I was crazy enough to actually ride one. ( oh because it was free besides blowing out my first knee!) That blinged out one sort of looks nice except for the wrong forks instead of pulling in the front end! Still like it!

It is nice. Only thing I can see (besides the forks you pointed out) was that an RSC sticker instead of the HRC sticker on the tank would be more appropriate. Pickin' nits....

Quote:
Started pulling apart the cota. Found nothing yet except some d _ss pulled out three springs out of the clutch! No WONDER THE BIG STUFF looked Big! Wheelies are coming as soon as I find the rattle!!
It is an early M29 and I have a m28 hoping some parts will work.

Well crap. There went my season!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #276
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,676

Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #277
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

You're welcome Brewtus. The TS scene in Spain is big. I like to see the tricked out TS bikes but I also like to see them ridden in as original condition as possible .

When the NATC TS class was created we submitted a list of rules to keep the mods under control. They decided to keep the rules at air cooled, twin shocks, drum brakes. As the class gets more popular they may have to add some rules. Its easy enough to do.

Basic bike prep is not cheating. Just because a bike is old doesn't mean it has to run like crap. Correct timing, fresh exhaust packing, proper carburation should be the norm, but I see guys show up with bikes that ran worse than they did 35 years ago.

The main thing is to keep it fun and bring out those old bikes and use them to bring in new riders.

LowPSI screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 08:00 AM
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #278
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...89438712_n.jpg

This Reflex was at the Colorado National. It has an aftermarket tank, bars, sprocket, rear fender, skid plate, pegs, exhaust and chain guard. The shocks look like stockers. Nice bike. There were some tricked out TY's there too.

LowPSI screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 08:02 AM
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #279
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
You're welcome Brewtus. The TS scene in Spain is big. I like to see the tricked out TS bikes but I also like to see them ridden in as original condition as possible .

When the NATC TS class was created we submitted a list of rules to keep the mods under control. They decided to keep the rules at air cooled, twin shocks, drum brakes. As the class gets more popular they may have to add some rules. Its easy enough to do.

Basic bike prep is not cheating. Just because a bike is old doesn't mean it has to run like crap. Correct timing, fresh exhaust packing, proper carburation should be the norm, but I see guys show up with bikes that ran worse than they did 35 years ago.

The main thing is to keep it fun and bring out those old bikes and use them to bring in new riders.

A certain Mr. Behling and I had this very same conversation several times last year. Part of the reason why I decided to ride my 'Flex this year in NMTA's fledgling Twinshock class this year instead of my beloved 4RT. I can't say that Twinshock in NMTA is a smashing success so far, but it is generating interest. Hopefully it will attract new riders here also that we would openly welcome.

Quote:

This Reflex was at the Colorado National. It has an aftermarket tank, bars, sprocket, rear fender, skid plate, pegs, exhaust and chain guard. The shocks look like stockers. Nice bike. There were some tricked out TY's there too.
Man that thing is pretty! Guess I'd better get crackin' on those AutoCAD drawings. And yes, I stole that picture also -

Thanks again!

brewtus screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 08:24 PM Reason: Did you remember to thank your scorers...or the guy you stole pics from??
Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #280
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
Hate to tell you Brewtus, BB is a closet vintage rider. All talk, he bought two nice sherpa t`s 3 years ago and I have never even seen one!!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #281
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Hate to tell you Brewtus, BB is a closet vintage rider. All talk, he bought two nice sherpa t`s 3 years ago and I have never even seen one!!
High time BB brought 'em out. Maybe we could convince LB to help!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #282
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,676
I agree you need to hit up LB to get at least one of these beauties out in the woods! Love to see him ride one!!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #283
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
High time BB brought 'em out. Maybe we could convince LB to help!
LB, wife or ski area owner?
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #284
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:

Bike pictured is a TLR250..........these have a different steering angle, better hubs, longer travel front forks, close ratio gear-box, bigger fin cylinder, and of course are 250cc. The exhaust fitted on that one is very restrictive though, so I wouldnt imagine its going to run that great, but does look quite nice.

Alternatively it could also be an RS250TA, which was in effect a TLR250 which the factory fitted a few uprated parts to, including the tank-seat unit on that bike.

To all intents and purposes though a TLR200 with the right modifications works much better than the 250, which has on-off power delivery due to having far too little flywheel weight, is too light on the front (reason why the bike pictured has the rests moved forward, which is a good idea on all TLR's), and has some parts which are difficult/impossible to get.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #285
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
[QUOTE=LowPSI;18960587]You're welcome Brewtus. The TS scene in Spain is big. I like to see the tricked out TS bikes but I also like to see them ridden in as original condition as possible .

The main thing is to keep it fun and bring out those old bikes and use them to bring in new riders.[/
QUOTE]

Things have got completely out of control in regard to Spanish TS trials, with highly modified Spanish bikes costing 8-10k to build being ridden in classes originally intended for authentic bikes manufactured before certain cut off dates. This means those who cant afford on of the tricked up bikes find it difficult to compete, as the modified ones are so much better.

Its very sensible deciding to use rules requiring only air-cooled motors, drum brakes, 2x rear shocks, which means its possible to build a reasonably able TS bike from an old air-cooled mono, rather than spending 2/3 times as much on altering an original bike along the same lines as those in Spain.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote