Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #796
immulmen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
Don't be so damned reasonable! Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberry!
1st soldier with a keen interest in weedwackers: Who goes there?
King Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!
1st soldier with a keen interest in weedwackers: Pull the other one!
King Arthur: I am, and this is my trusty servant Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.
1st soldier with a keen interest in weedwackers: What? Ridden on a motorcycle?
King Arthur: Yes!
1st soldier with a keen interest in weedwackers: You're using a weedwacker!
King Arthur: What?
1st soldier with a keen interest in weedwackers: You've got a weedwacker and you're revving it like a motorcycle.
King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
1st soldier with a keen interest in weedwackers: Where'd you get the weedwacker?
King Arthur: We found it.
1st soldier with a keen interest in weedwackers: Found it? In the 14th century? A weedwacker is from the 20th century!
immulmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #797
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by batphluke View Post
this thread just keeps on running... Unlike the op's motorcycle!
Until this began i didn't think there was such passion left in the motorcycle world, whatever you may think or feel about urals they certainly inspire strong emotions, and not the sort of phoney hype the "lifestyle/ character" brands like triumph and harley spend a fortune faking to get us to buy their latest goodies. To all you ural riders out there, ride on, (if you can) to all the ural haters, don't lose sleep over someone else's choice of bike, and to everyone else, grab a beverage of your choice and watch the entertainment! Now can we have some more critical engineering analysis and gratuitous insults please.

Mal
+1
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #798
Reddog
Doug@8000'

Oddometer: 348
I like Urals. I looked at them hard before I built my rig.
I feel the best thing about them is they have revitalized an interest in sidecars in the US. Unfortunately, many buyers expect them to be more than what they are (outdated technology and potentially mechanically problematic). To me, they are more than utilitarian transportation wrapped up in a cool package, they are a hobby for Dad, a pastime for Mom and a craft for the kids, like the Ronco Rhinestone and Stud Setter.
If they came with a really good manual, tool kit, copy of "Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and a 6 pack of chilly malted beverages, it might help new owners understand their quirks....
D@8K'
http://www.duckpondcottage.com/
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #799
batphluke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
Don't be so damned reasonable! Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberry!
I didn't know you knew my parents!

Mal
93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Velorex 562 (attached to Mrs. B's 85 Honda XBR500)
batphluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #800
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
RE is the worst

My NEW Royal Enfield dropped a valve just cruising around my neighborhood with 300 miles on the clock. Complete POS. Dealer rebuilt it under warranty and I sold it. Tank was also starting to rust fromt he inside WTH? It did look cool though, so it sold quickly.

My Ural leaked oil in my garage. It was new. Only new bike that ever leaked oil from where the engine cases came together. It was a beast though and I rate it higher than the RE in terms of quality, but really, they do battle it out for last place ;-) It also looked cool and after 2 years I was able to sell it in 2008 (it was a 2006 Patrol) without losing too much $$ because they were popular and fairly rare.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #801
Marvin and towser
Plain Mr. Botany (B)

Oddometer: 52
OK this may be harking back to page one or even the OP's ride reports but I am just back from working a couple of weeks near Surabaya which is the other end of the island from Jakarta. From what I saw the traffic in Indonesia is frightful but the roads are not that bad, the biggest bike I saw was a 250 ninja most are 125's or 110's, they have premix for 2 strokes straight out of special petrol pumps, various local made Hondas and the like can cope with no problems, Not being able to go on the toll roads would have cost a lot of time when trying to get anywhere. We went from one end of the island to the other from central Jakarta to the wild woods outside Surabaya in a daihatsu luxio with no problems that's a small wheeled 1500cc people carrier. I would think that the marketing of the Ural as a roughty toughty vehicle would have seen the OP in better stead than us. From most of this post it may be possible to infer that time spent updating the engine was well spent, then maybe time would have been better spent finishing this and then addressing quality and staff training before instead bringing out special additions. I would add that Indonesians drive on the correct side of the road so the nerve of the OP for driving a wrong way round rig in that traffic at least deserves some respect.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #802
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 371
+1

Respect goes to my monkey that bravely sits on the side of incoming traffic!

Still can't figure out why they drive on the left? After all, they were a long time Dutch colony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin and towser View Post
I would add that Indonesians drive on the correct side of the road so the nerve of the OP for driving a wrong way round rig in that traffic at least deserves some respect.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #803
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,059
Quote:
OK this may be harking back to page one or even the OP's ride reports but I am just back from working a couple of weeks near Surabaya which is the other end of the island from Jakarta. From what I saw the traffic in Indonesia is frightful but the roads are not that bad, the biggest bike I saw was a 250 ninja most are 125's or 110's, they have premix for 2 strokes straight out of special petrol pumps, various local made Hondas and the like can cope with no problems, Not being able to go on the toll roads would have cost a lot of time when trying to get anywhere. We went from one end of the island to the other from central Jakarta to the wild woods outside Surabaya in a daihatsu luxio with no problems that's a small wheeled 1500cc people carrier. I would think that the marketing of the Ural as a roughty toughty vehicle would have seen the OP in better stead than us. From most of this post it may be possible to infer that time spent updating the engine was well spent, then maybe time would have been better spent finishing this and then addressing quality and staff training before instead bringing out special additions. I would add that Indonesians drive on the correct side of the road so the nerve of the OP for driving a wrong way round rig in that traffic at least deserves some respect.
Look at the issues BMW has had for years with final drive, swing arm, and front end failures, and they have almost limitless resources. Easy to kibitz from the sidelines.

Despite Urals, BMW's and others marketing about "tough" adventure bikes, motorcycles are still very fragile compared to other types of vehicles.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #804
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 195
The most shocking piece of info in this thread for me was that Ural is charging $14,000 for a new rig.

If you want to something to look cool and wrench on, that kind of money will get you into an actual /2 sidecar rig. Way more street cred and possibly even more reliable.

At 7,000-8,000 a Ural kind of made sense, but $14,000 buys you a KLR or other cheap Japanese bike and a whole lot of money to throw at putting a chair on it.

bpw screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 07:58 PM Reason: Grammer
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #805
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
The most shocking piece of info in this thread for me was that Ural is charging $14,000 for a new rig.

If you want to look cool and wrench on, that kind of money will get you into an actual /2 sidecar rig. Way more street cred and possibly even more reliable.

At 7,000-8,000 a Ural kind of made sense, but $14,000 buys you a KLR or other cheap Japanese bike and a whole lot of money to throw at putting a chair on it.
/2 blows dick off road...
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #806
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post

If you want to something to look cool and wrench on, that kind of money will get you into an actual /2 sidecar rig. Way more street cred and possibly even more reliable.

The Tourist T is $9999, http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-ural-t/
How much money would you need to "throw" at a KLR rig to have 2wd and reverse? Apple to apple you know.

"Street cred"??? Is that like Starbucks, when you get so many stamps you get something free?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #807
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Yep. You'll see these 110cc to 175cc trike things all over the Philippines. They routinely carry 5-6 people as Taxis all day long and I've personally driven one loaded with 10 people. While I was driving, I was kind of wondering how my 650cc rig would hold up to the same abuse...

gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #808
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,823
"Look at the issues BMW has had for years with final drive, swing arm, and front end failures, and they have almost limitless resources. Easy to kibitz from the sidelines."

I don't understand this statement.

In 1977 I bought a second hand BM75/6. it had already been ridden overland from Belgium to Australia and when I got it, it had 50,000 kms on the clock. By the time I sold it, seven years later it had 240,000 kms on the clock.

Replaced the rear main seal, new cam chain and put in first set of oversize pistons only. (Oh and a new seat as the others base had rusted from it's time in the tropics)

I then got a PD replica 800 from new. Put 90,000 kms on that in 5 years. No issues.

Now got a R1150R with 80,000 kms on it.

Final drive, swing arm, front end failures ? ?
WTF ! !

I never had an issue and neither did my two mates, one on a 90/6 and the other on a 100RS, both with high AUSTRALIAN kms.

I've put AUSTRALIA in capitals because I'm talking about lots of dirt riding, isolated dirt riding. We don't have shops every 100 kms.

As I've stated in my very few posts in this thread, I couldn't in all honesty, trust the mechanicals or justify the cost of a Ural for my type of riding. That's why I built my outfit around a modern Jap bike for less cost.

For example, in Australia a new GSX Suzuki 1400 was about $13,000 before they were discontinued, a Vee Strom 650, ~$10,000.

A Ural in Australia is around $17,000 - $18,000.

But, as I've also said, each to their own, enjoy your ride, whatever it may be.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #809
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
The Tourist T is $9999, http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-ural-t/
How much money would you need to "throw" at a KLR rig to have 2wd and reverse? Apple to apple you know.

"Street cred"??? Is that like Starbucks, when you get so many stamps you get something free?
I have put about 4,000 miles on my rig since my build, I have never needed 2 wheel drive or reverse, sure they may come in handy, but you dont need them, so IMHO they can be ignored as a luxury or a gimmick that helps them sell.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #810
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post

I don't understand this statement.
Front end issue, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700385

final drive issue, http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=16840548

swing arm issue http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ingarm+failure

What your saying is what I have been saying all along, just because a few folks have issues, it doesn't mean everyone will or even that it is typical. All machines break, all machines have weak points,some more than others, and even major manufacturers don't always get it perfect all the time, or solve things as fast as customers desire. This is nothing new.

You say a Ural is not best for what you do, and others have found that they are for what they do. So who's opinion is right? they both are, only a fool would say otherwise.

Things do get sticky when others opinions don't jibe with yours, don't they?