Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #46
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
I
-
A BMW, your Versys, or an S10 can't beat that.
Many ex Strom owners here who have no intention of looking back.
No argument it's a "Value" priced bike. Until you pony up the extra money
you will never know just how green the grass really is on the other side.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #47
ert01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Many ex Strom owners here who have no intention of looking back.
No argument it's a "Value" priced bike. Until you pony up the extra money
you will never know just how green the grass really is on the other side.
I know how green the grass is... I have ridden Multistradas, ST2's and 3's, Triumph Rocket III, Tigers, BMW GS's.... I'm just not willing to spend the money because the grass isn't THAT much greener :)
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #48
WVMTS
Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
I know how green the grass is... I have ridden Multistradas, ST2's and 3's, Triumph Rocket III, Tigers, BMW GS's.... I'm just not willing to spend the money because the grass isn't THAT much greener :)
I agree. The 06 Multi 1000 I had was fun but the $1,000 valve adjustment was painful. There comes a point where you have to draw the line, because soon, it's going to cost MUCH more once things go wrong. My tank was swelling off the frame due to ethanol content in gas. Tanks are $2500 and mine was out of warranty, which I did not buy. Value of the bike was $4000 when I traded it in. I think it's crap when bike companies charge what they do, when every bike has fuel gauge problems (Ducati), but they do nothing about it. Same with Suzuki and the Vees with their issues.

I like the ergos on the new 2012s. The cockpit feels about the same, just updated. I rode a friends home (2012 650 ADV) after he purchased it, and was nice. I was suprised at the price of the new ones. I paid $6000 for a new '09 650 and have been happy. It may be boring, but it's bomber. I did do my homework before deciding on the Vee or Wee. The 650s just have less problems, from what I hear.

WVMTS screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 04:11 PM
WVMTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #49
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I guess at my stage of life it's like the old hair color add... "I'm worth it".
Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #50
ec90t
Banned

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
I have addressed EVERY thing that I considered an issue on my V. It has:
-Akra Titanuim pipes
-Yosh tuned ECU
-Full Givi racks and luggage
-Crashbars
-Lift Link
-Lower gearing
-Handlebars
-Two windscreens (Givi Touring and Euro Sport Shorty)
-Speedohealer
-GIPro w/ATRE
-Fork Brace
-Progressive springs

And my total price into this bike so far? $6500 including purchase and insurance.

A BMW, your Versys, or an S10 can't beat that.
Lets see. I have $7800 in my brand new (less than 1 mile when I left the dealership a little over a month ago) Versys and the equipment list is as follows (all purchased new):

SW Motech quick release luggage mounts
TraX 37 litre side boxes complete w/liners
SW Motech crash bars
Barkbuster handguards
Givi Windscreen
R&G radiator guard
Pyramid front fender extender
Seat Concepts seat kit.
Garmin Nuvi 500

No need for different fork/shock springs/ as the Versys is much stiffer sprung. No need for a fork brace as the Versys has inverted forks. No speedo healer needed. Stock gearing is spot on and my stock speedo is within 2mph anywhere up to 80 mph (gps verified). No buffeting with either shield on or off for more air on hot days. Stock handlebars are perfect as is the footpeg placement. The only thing else I'll do to the bike is add a electric outlet for heated clothing and and heated grips. I've put 3K miles on it in the 6 weeks of ownership and the bike is great. Much better handling than a strom and just as dirt worthy. The icing on the cake is that wonderful parallel twin engine. The only weakness a Versys has is the stock seat, as it just plain sucks.

I'd say it trumps your used strom in spades
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #51
ert01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I guess at my stage of life it's like the old hair color add... "I'm worth it".
Yeah, I'm not at that stage in life yet where I have more money then brains... I am paying for two houses (well... ones a rental so it's kinda paying for itself), I work out of town and I have a pregnant wife at home. My hard earned money can go towards something more worthwhile. I'm worth it, but my family is worth more :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
Lets see. I have $7800 in my brand new (less than 1 mile when I left the dealership a little over a month ago) Versys and the equipment list is as follows (all purchased new):

SW Motech quick release luggage mounts
TraX 37 litre side boxes complete w/liners
SW Motech crash bars
Barkbuster handguards
Givi Windscreen
R&G radiator guard
Pyramid front fender extender
Seat Concepts seat kit.
Garmin Nuvi 500

No need for different fork/shock springs/ as the Versys is much stiffer sprung. No need for a fork brace as the Versys has inverted forks. No speedo healer needed. Stock gearing is spot on and my stock speedo is within 2mph anywhere up to 80 mph (gps verified). No buffeting with either shield on or off for more air on hot days. Stock handlebars are perfect as is the footpeg placement. The only thing else I'll do to the bike is add a electric outlet for heated clothing and and heated grips. I've put 3K miles on it in the 6 weeks of ownership and the bike is great. Much better handling than a strom and just as dirt worthy. The icing on the cake is that wonderful parallel twin engine. The only weakness a Versys has is the stock seat, as it just plain sucks.

I'd say it trumps your used strom in spades
Hm, I guess it's a point of perspective then because I wouldn't say your bike trumps mine in spades... yours seems comparable to mine, just $1300 more and less km.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #52
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not at that stage in life yet where I have more money then brains... I am paying for two houses (well... ones a rental so it's kinda paying for itself), I work out of town and I have a pregnant wife at home. My hard earned money can go towards something more worthwhile. I'm worth it, but my family is worth more :)
For me it's also better bikes help make up for older bones.

I enjoyed my Strom for 8 years, still keep a KLR around to remind me of my cheap bone.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #53
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 254
it took me a while to get used to DL1 long legs. especially the 6th. gear overdrive. g-luck & ride safe.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #54
zumohamr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
The YAFMS worked extremely well on my old TL1000S. I borrowed it and tinkered around with settings for a couple days. No lean running when the throttle was partly open. Its a more serious piece than the piggyback junk. Oh and i did the grass is greener thing with a GS800. BIG MISTAKE. But Tenere is Japanese so i could see going that route. Would probably go with the DL though. Less is more. S.Ten is one of the best looking bikes out though no doubt.
zumohamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #55
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Sealed the deal on a Super Tenere a while ago. Or so I thought, the deal fell through as Yamaha Austria wasn't interested in selling it with the few extra minutes of paperwork that it would take (since I have the right to buy it without VAT). A week later I went to Scotland and rented a Wee. FUN bike actually! Did not expect much at all, but I had FUN. Very comfortable, flickable, and enough power for me alone, but I'd like some 2-up, so more power wouldn't hurt.

So now I'm buying a Vee, used, in pristine condition, for about half of what that Yamaha would have cost me (albeit new, but without the VAT). Then I can set things up as I like them with suspension and brakes, and STILL have money over to spend on my dear old TL1000S.. Carrozzeria wheels, perhaps? Öhlins suspension? Hmm, why not both, I'm still within the budget..

I guess I should thank Yamaha Austria in the end.. I knew in my heart I shouldn't even have considered abandoning my beloved Suzuki brand! Go Kevin!

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?

K0m4 screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 07:11 AM
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote